TeGnGcGent Stash Tab Constriction Non Paying Players

"
鬼殺し wrote:
In the spirit of fairness, I want to remind you and everyone else that shareware games were either pretty bad or limited-content pre-release demos that came bundled with your latest issue of PC Gamer. The Diablo 1 shareware demo was incredible in this aspect: fairly bug free and eminently replayable. If not for that demo, I'd say many of us Gen Xers wouldn't hold the Butcher and his grumble of 'Fresh Meat!' in such sacred regard.

I won't disagree that a lot of games were like that, but there were some gems out there too.

Ever play Jeff Vogel's Exile series?

He was one of the first, real indie developers, back when going online meant logging on to either a Compuserve or an AoL account (with a 300 BAUD modem no less) (well ... maybe it was up to 1200 BAUD by then).

Anyway, he released his first game Exile: Escape From the Pit as shareware. The entire 1st half of the game was unlocked.

It was an indie game of course, rather than a glitzy, polished release like Diablo 1 and D2. It was also a turn based RPG rather than a real-time action RPG, but still, the amount of fun Jeff was willing to give away for free as a loss leader was pretty impressive.

Let's see ... here: https://classicreload.com/sites/default/files/win3x-exile-escape-from-the-pit.png

No, the sprites didn't move. At most, there was an "attack" sprite pic that it would switch to during an attack.

Edit: And ... I'd also like to point out that Spiderweb Games still exists today, and it still independent. Jeff has released increasingly sophisticated versions of his base concept as the years have gone by, and added in a couple of other series too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiderweb_Software
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
Last edited by Unquietheart on Jun 11, 2018, 4:36:51 AM
I agree on stash tab thing but...

please, don't throw Tencent nonsense in the otherwise good argument. In only makes your good argument look bad.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
In my opinion 2 additional free stash tabs will not change anything, at least when it comes to new players. They could be useful in the past, but now we have 157/8 maps, a lot of new currency/fragments and huge load of unique items. Yes, 95% of all uniques is crap, but “new” player will not know it, so he will hoard all these Hitless, Chober Chabers and other nice looking 2 handed weapons, armors and other useless items.

This, along with all other items will eventually force every newbie to buy at least currency tab and at least 1 premium tam for trading purpose. In such conditions there is not big difference between 4 and 6 stash tabs.
in race to 100, think previous league, the guy that was first had 4 stash tabs, and thats in ssf. Its perfectly viable to compete with 4 stash tabs, but yes, the game has grown so much that 4 stash tabs arent enough unless you optimize what you pick up.(which you should assuming you are going to race to 100)
While i dont think its ethical to sell stash tabs, its very lucrative monetization model, and much better than selling currency.
Last edited by Aetherium on Jun 11, 2018, 7:28:05 AM
"
Aetherium wrote:

While i dont think its ethical to sell stash tabs,... .

Could you please humour me and explain this statement to me? Please? In the context of the game being totally free to play full content.

Note:

Please look up the definition of the word "ethical" before you do.

Thank you.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
"
Bone2flesh wrote:

Could you please humour me and explain this statement to me? Please? In the context of the game being totally free to play full content.

Note:

Please look up the definition of the word "ethical" before you do.

Thank you.

Well, selling stash tabs is not unethical. But multiplication of new unique items (most of them is useless crap anyway), maps and currency is little bit shady, as it serve only one purpose – to fill players stash tab as fast as possible. While in 2.6 and previous patches playing with 4 stash tabs was possible even for new player, now newbies are flooded and overwhelmed with junk from very beginning of the game.

At this moment it is possible to achieve lvl 100 with 4 tabs, but player must perfectly know what he wants, moreover, such build can’t require too much 6l stuff, as fusing alone can take up a lot of space. To conclude – new players who want to keep playing after the end of the campaign have to buy at least currency stash tab. Therefore, on it’s present stage, game is P2W, hidden behind long gone “legend”, it is not :) Which is not so ethical.
New Player, What I find unsettling is the fact with Currency

With the basic Game players are hamstrung with currency stacking in stacks of 10/20/30/40

But If you buy a Stash tab for currency it Stacks in stacks of 5000

Letting all players know it is possible to have it stack this high but you have to pay for the privilege.

Now Add in Shards, Bits, Bobs, Fragment, Splinters ect and you Start to see a Pattern.

So to those that say it is not Back Door P2W power creep is not being Honest. The Cosmetic MTX is Fine as it plays on the Vanity of the player base and is Yuge. But to make the Basics of the game dependant upon Forcing a Player to buy tabs is Suspect.

Now Maps, Cards and Essences tabs are a grey Area to me, But Changing the stack size of Currency is already in game and doable very easy. You Don't even need the tab or they could just give one to Players.
How about to let people "earn" Stashtabs. Just like diablo where you need to spend gold for upgrades.

Some idea for rewards (Only once per account)

-reaching level 25 will reward you with 1 additional stashtab
-reaching level 50 will reward you with 1 additional stashtab
-reaching level 75 will reward you with 1 additional stashtab
-reaching level 95 will reward you with 1 additional stashtab
-reaching level 100 will reward you with 1 additional stashtab

Looks balance for me so with 9 Stashtabs people can use

1 for Div cards
1 for essences
1 for currencies
2 for maps
2 for uberlab fragments, normal/uber atziri fragments, Shaper fragments , sealed prohecies
2 Junk stashtab.

Seems balanced.
Last edited by Kraxler on Jun 11, 2018, 10:20:50 AM
You want tabs spend the money...

seems pretty simple to me
I dont see any any key!
When these threads come up I want to see what these folks would do given a single stash page and no dedicated currency, or trade api.

Let's see how many of them would create multiple mule accounts, spend hours creating forum posts and lurking on d2jsp to unload....anything.

Trade is inconvenient for a reason, but was so much worse before.

I could have totally gotten by on 4 tabs, but it would mean I would need to be insanely particular about anything I actually stored, and to sell items I would have to advertise in a trade channel anytime I needed to make room.

Yep, totally over league play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info