Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

The #1 factor in me buying anything from the shop from tabs to mtx or supporter packs has been because I wanted to help support GGG, if they can get their support under Tencent that's great however that inclination from me to support them will be gone and the reality of the high prices will likely mean I won't be buying anything from the shop again unless that changes.
Last edited by nefarious on May 21, 2018, 1:35:06 PM
I have spent probably over 1 000$ on packs and points to support an indie developer so it's not forced to sell it's product to a large corporation that will add p2w gambling mechanics into the game. When I saw you add mtx boxes a year ago I already thought it was scetchy. Now I know why you did this, in order to boost you financials for fiscal year and show tencent what it loves and what it makes most of its money from. Shame on you GGG, you betrayed all the people who were supporting you over the years.

And you make this release after arguably one of the worst received leagues. You really are amateurs aren't you...
Last edited by Ashkatar on May 21, 2018, 1:39:36 PM
Tencent must not be too bad. Afterall they are involved with League of Legends and to this day it remains one of the most popular games on Twitch
Can we get reasonably priced mtx now?
"
SEVEREFENIX wrote:
CONGRATS GGG you more than deserve it! I love this game will never stop playing or supporting!!

...said the newbie with the highest character at level 10. Seriously? Do you have another account and just shadow post on the forums with this one?
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
so the game starts showing cracks, bad balance and bad decisions reaching pandemic heights, record breakingly unpopular content being added. Do you...

a. try and fix your game. Make the changes needed to restore balance, bring it back to a game worth caring about, worth having a real artistic vision for, but risk incurring the wrath of the mob who just want a lame faceroll shitter game that no one serious can take seriously and potentially lose it all?

or...

b. admit defeat and a loss of really caring enough anymore, sell it while it still looks amazing from the outside and the cracks you know are there have not started effecting its market value?

If its already just become a job, if youve already lost creative control and pride to the reddit mob, why not just make it official and secure the personal financial stability that comes with it? Would I take the risk or take the money? Id take the money. All the good intentions in the world are not enough, we are cogs in a machine, you cant change it, your principals will be ground under the wheels of inevitability. Yeah lets be independent, make the game we want to make for the love, for the art, it sounds great but the reality is that you cant. You will become a slave to the money, doesnt matter if its tencents corporate fist or the pitchforks of the people who will quit your game if you fix shield charging 10 second shaper kill lelbuilds, we live in a system where money owns us all and we are imprisoned by whats possible.
gl
Last edited by Cottage on May 22, 2018, 6:05:58 PM
80% is not "investing, that is buying out the company.

I think it is an accomplishment for Chris Wilson and his co owners and I feel happy for them on that regard.

HOWEVER each time I bought shit from ggg store it had that ecologic feeling of sponsorising a non corporationist activity...

Clash of clans and LoL are garbage.
Last edited by galuf on May 21, 2018, 1:43:12 PM
Humm, sigh another aggressive buyout by Tencent. One historical note:

1) Tencent bought a stake in Epic Games as they began development of Paragon.

2) Epic Games DID change their direction of the game, it became more... arcade like - nice colours, faster gameplay and shorter matches.

3) 1-year later THE GAME DIED. $12M worth of assets are now FREE on the market as Epic Games was unable to keep it's core playerbase happy with the direction of the game.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/paragon

In short > Top-down pressure for return on investment > developers catering more for revenue than content integrity > game changed direction > core playerbase upset > game dies

I was an avid player of Paragon. And needless to say, my views on Tencent are nothing short of: A power hungry company bent on world domination that is not afraid to pull the "we expect X in return on investment or your game dies" plug.

Last edited by DrB00M on May 21, 2018, 1:44:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info