Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

"
Murue wrote:
a small team of dedicated developers

GGG has had over 100 employees for over a year now if i remember correctly. They were an independent company, for sure, but to still call them a small team would be a mistake.

Overall, ehh. I feel like, while concern is justified, paranoia and resentment are not.
I've played PoE for a while now, and, until GGG actually does something that seriously impacts my enjoyment of the game, i'll continue to play.
As a Chinese player, there are some points I want to share.

Tencent is NOT some sorts of producer of creating original contents (or specifically to say: Video games) at all. They literally like STUDYING AND COPYING every single outstanding game and release theirs during their early time. So as far as I can tell, they won't change PoE in a short time, however, studying this game thoroughly and eventually produce another "PoE" in Tencent Version with a brand new name.

I do not know if PoE will become a p2w game after some years, but I guess I might (or GGG might?) NOT need a supporter pack for now.
Last edited by GradiusM on May 21, 2018, 4:46:17 AM
"
vacii wrote:
"
"
Miffy23 wrote:
A good amount of healthy scepticism and concern for a developer studio you support is good, and warranted. The kind of vitriol and total hyperbole displayed here by most posters is certainly not.

Tencent owns stakes in many games and dev studios, and few if any have actually been impacted in any noticable manner by the shift in shareholders.

Oh, and just fyi for those of you either too young or too uneducated to get how this game of capitalism is played: selling your company after it becomes successful enough to turn a profit on sale is the entire point of the endeavour.

> mfw people actually believe small indy developers will turn into full-fledged autonomous companies without being merged/acquired etc in 2k18

This. 100%. Educate yourself first before you get others involved in your negative made up scenarios.

You sir need to be quoted on every page, ignorance is dominant here, and we, the sane, need to fight against it !

Exactly what this thread needs, every negative post here is creating panic for no reason and readers are believing everything here at face-value but they fail to realize that maybe these people posting negativity are misinformed and really know nothing.
"
vacii wrote:

I have a buddy that plays with 4 tabs and is always 90+ every league, he dose not sell at all. Whatever he finds he sells to the vendor unless it is opOP. When he accumulates currency he either dumps it into fusings or trades it to me. He maintains chaos/alchemy just to reroll maps. And he has fun with it too.

but that not same gameplay with 100 tabs.. Ur buddy like and i can be much more geared and get more fun if he has atleast currency and map tabs as default, other rly shit for gaining money.
"

Xbox announcement v2 electric boogaloo, everybody said the sky would fall back then and it looks like not much changed after that either when Fall of Oriath arrived on the scene.
vote with your wallets *IF* the development takes a turn for the worse and not before, but then again this community has become rotten enough in my eyes since the closed beta it's barely worth participating in these days. Says something when I decided to log in just to post this.
I agree with you, too many SJW now days.
What benefit gets the average player from that? Similar to xsolla, it might not be beneficial for some.
"
Viperz212 wrote:
"
vacii wrote:

I have a buddy that plays with 4 tabs and is always 90+ every league, he dose not sell at all. Whatever he finds he sells to the vendor unless it is opOP. When he accumulates currency he either dumps it into fusings or trades it to me. He maintains chaos/alchemy just to reroll maps. And he has fun with it too.

but that not same gameplay with 100 tabs.. Ur buddy like and i can be much more geared and get more fun if he has atleast currency and map tabs as default, other rly shit for gaining money.
Actually the gameplay is not affected at all i have all the tabs, and i can honestly say that i do not have a better gaming experience because of it, i tend to hoard items that get lost forever in standart.
"
vacii wrote:

You sir need to be quoted on every page, ignorance is dominant here, and we, the sane, need to fight against it !

If you think your smarmy, dismissive and disdainful attitude is going to convince me to buy more supporter packs, you are wrong. In fact, you have nearly single highhandedly convinced me to stop spending money all together. For reference, I've dumped 80.00(USD) a month into PoE for more than a year. I've spent as much on this game as I spent in a decade playing Dark Age of Camelot.

I've paid for the right to speak out when I dislike the direction the game is going in. GGG is free to - and will - ignore me. But I'll squeak just the same. I've seen this sort of disaster replay too many times before, with the same canned "everything is fine, we retain creative control" PR spin to just sit on my hands, and continue to throw money and time into something that might be about to head downhill faster than an express escalator to hell.
Last edited by Sabranic_SilverDeth on May 21, 2018, 4:53:04 AM
I regret buying the High Council pack because no matter how much I trust or have faith in GGG I don't trust Tencent. I've been more willing to buy supporter packs for every league I've played than buying full AAA games, but I won't be spending money on this game until I think I can trust that things aren't going to change... and that will take long time.
"
Splashwear wrote:
Tencent literally ruined league of legends from A to Z since they bought it , so goodbye exiles it was a nice game.

ITT: persons with no idea of how investments work post unfounded criticisms about decisions which never even killed the game yet, please tell me more about how the golden goose died when it's still alive and well at present. I'm amazed at how much paranoia, resentment, and general vitriol gets splashed out every which way whenever anything changes. It's almost like you people would prefer to see one of the greatest success stories in gaming die because of your own selfish ideas about how things ought to be rather than continue to support its growth.

When they said 80% of profits, it was after expenses, you're still paying the GGG employees through your support and funding the continued development of this game. I might not have been able to play for a good while because of RL issues, but I was planning to come back for incursion when it hits. Tencent wont gobble up your $10 or your $400, it'll just take a bit as return on an investment, which is sort of how your average business works. So save the "china numba wan" shit for when something actually goes wrong instead of infuriating the rest of us ordinary people with inflexible retardo stances.
1337 21gn17ur3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info