[3.3] The Reckless Trapper ~ MaxBlock ~ FireTrap ~ Blood Magic [Shaper/Uber Atziri down with Video]

For 3.3 Fire Trap will be superior to Ice Trap. Don't know why GGG even nerfed Ice Trap. This means you don't "need" Frostbomb & Pandemonius anymore

Hi guys. As everyone here creates some fancy build names I welcome you to my new build

The Reckless Trapper
A defensive Fire / Lightning Trap Hybrid

~~~ POB pastebin w/ my gear ~~~

Build Info
Spoiler

You hate mana management of trappers?

You hate being a glasscannon?

You still want to deal big damage?

Numbers against bosses with 20/20 gems [not updated for 3.3 but should be more now]

Spoiler

Damage per throw vs Shaper (40% Res): 95k / trap -> 380k / click

Damage per throw Atziri (30% Res): 103k / trap -> 412k / click

Damage per throw Mobs:
Spoiler

Build Background

Spoiler

I like the regen capabilities of the new saboteur. Actually the regen is SO high, that it's a waste to just utilize it as a defence.

First I was playing around with Covenant (intrinsic Blood Magic) but I realized that without Kaom's Heart my HP will always be a bit too low for end game. It is still OK, because I have max-block but there were several one-shot moments.

And as I wanted to keep my damage up, picking Mana nodes from tree just to cast multiple traps was frustrating after dropping Covenant for Kaom's Heart. An alternative was the new item Malachai's Awakening and it's really great with Saboteur's life regen.

This means picking this mask gives you not just a huge damage boost, which barely can be achieved with auras, no. It also gives you the ability to spam two types of traps without thinking about mana. And as a trap-fan I can say: mana management ALWAYS sucked. Yes you can pick EB+Tinkerskin, but then you will loose 1k HP...

Build Features

Spoiler

PRO

1) Safe red-mapper

2) Max block

3) Reflect proof

4) Endgame bosses viable

5) infinite "mana"

6) "Cheap unique"-build except for Kaom's Heart (which is luxury)

7) No gem swapping

CON

1) Without Rumi's you have 60-65% Block, which is still high but not perfect

2) no speedy gonzales map clearer. I can clear maps and breaches/abysses fast tho, so it's OK

3) Mid budget, because of 4% Reckless Defences and Kaom's Heart.

4) Movement Skill: Flame Dash

Spoiler

All videos are from 3.2 \ 3.3 should perform much better with buffed fire trap

Simple T14 Plaza demonstration
Shaper down
Uber Atziri down

Spoiler

Lvl 88 Tree

We only use Unique Jewels so nothing much to say here.

5x Reckless Defence

2x Cheap Construction

1x Watcher's Eye (with Block Chance while Determination is active)

Ascendancy

1) Go your way up to Shadow start, btw you pick Saboteur ofc

2) Inquisitor

Leveling_Trees

to come

Spoiler

Kill em all, Passive points are very important to us

Gearing_Guide

Helmet

Spoiler

Your bread and butter for this build. Extremely high damage boost and enables us to cast everything with our Life, which is permanently regenerated (typically 500-800 HP/s)

Chest

Spoiler

I designed this build to work with Kaom's Heart. Meaning when you have Belly of the Beast or something you have ofc another 6L trap or maybe a CWDT-Bone Offering Setup, but at cost of very much Life.

Weapon

Spoiler

This staff is an insane damage machine and I'm not really sure why it's so underrated. Probably because you can't shield charge with it 🙂 An alternative would be Xirgil's Crank to gain more a safe maxblocker but this would cost you a LOT of damage. Also Xirgil's Crank doesn't give you the ES-regen benefit because Blood Magic casting stops your ES recharge, sadly.

Gloves

Spoiler

As we have infinite mana, enough life and resists, we can pick those gloves for maximum damage gain. If you want to be more tanky (+200 extra life?) you can pick rare gloves but I don't recommend it.

Boots

Spoiler

Your important rare item piece. Ideally you want at least 20% Movement speed and a bunch of Life+Resists on them. You can pay a lot of money for good boots. Mine are not really perfect. The resists are very important, so you can reach max res with your rare Ring.
Luxury would be the shown Enchantment (ideally Uber Lab), as YOU never kill, just your traps do.

Jewellery

Spoiler

Essence Worm for Determination.

You need the rare ring to cap your resistances. You can pay a lot of money here to acquire a decent Life value. I'd say 30-50 is OK.

Pandemonius is a great damage boost. We don't need The Anvil, however would be tankier with it.
However, when we have Fire Trap since 3.3 we don't need pandemonius and can simply pick The Anvil

Belt

Spoiler

Without this belt our traps would last forever. We could go saboteur but loose important nodes at Scion's area.

Flasks

Spoiler

Life, Damage, Damage, Block, Speed. For hardcore bossing like Uber Atziri or Shaper you can pick Atziri's Promise instead of Quicksilver (although you need bleeding immunity @ trio and snakes)

FAQ
Spoiler

Why Scion and not pure Saboteur?
Spoiler
You need access to scion’s life wheel, resists and the staff block nodes at the very left of the tree. This way it’s much easier. Going the route above witch will result in heavy Life-loss

Why not The Anvil? [outdated for 3.3 because we use fire trap now]
Spoiler
I had it equipped until i decided to go Watcher’s Eye/Pandemonius combination. I think the burst damage as worth it so fights are shorter and 75/75 is already really enough.

Why Inquisitor minor ascendancy and not for example Necromancer?
Spoiler
More Damage. Also consecrated ground can come in handy. Necromancer with CWDT\Desecrate\Bone Offering is a solid choice and I had it for a while. But in most cases your Rumi’s is up and you actually need those extra block only for bigger packs and not harder hits (IMO).

Is Malachai’s Awakening really better in terms of damage compared to auras?
Spoiler
Yes. When I was playing with The Covenant Body armour I had Aspect of the Spider with Fenumu’s Weave active + Anger + Herald. This mask gives the same amount of damage and besides the benefit you can use two types of traps. Also tried elementalist with Aspect and triple Heralds. Can’t compete.

Is 4% on Reckless Defence or Kaom’s Heart mandatory?
Spoiler
No. 4% is luxury and without 4% you can still cap your block chance via Rumis \ Anvil.

Pantheon Power?
Spoiler
I'd say Brine king because lot of blocking will stun you. Second is personal preference. I think Gruthkul is very good or Shakari.

How to level?
Spoiler
"
Feurn wrote:
Hey the build looks nice! Im hyped for 3.3.

Im trying this in Flashback league rigth now.

For those asking how to level, here's how i do atm and i think its really good. Ofc its a fast leveling method with a bunch of uniques.

Started with fire trap - multiple traps - added lightning and some uniques for fire/burning dmg. I used bear trap too for single target unique boss (until lvl 28).

Exemple of uniques :
Spoiler

Mokou's embrace should do it too.

At lvl 28, i switched to ice trap with this gear.

Gear i used for really nice dmg at lvl 28:
Spoiler

Of course, i used a tabula with those gems.

At lvl 38, get inc. aoe to replace conc. effect and cluster trap to replace multiple traps.

I switch multiple trap/cluster trap with added lightning and inc. aoe with conc effect for bosses.

The freeze chance + bonus from the two Spine of the first claimant is really strong. Plus, Call of the brotherhood gives 100% shock on frozen enemies. I almost one shot every blue packs. Bosses down pretty quickly too with single target set up.

My first shot at this build lvl 45:
Spoiler
I rushed the trap dmg nodes on the shadow area (+ you get dext for traps gems), but i started being VERY squishy at lvl 38 (after malachai). Still killed Innocence deathless with 800 life lol. I suggest to get some life nodes from Scion life wheel before finishing act 4. Hasty reconstruction is really important, adds some QoL to traps.

https://poeplanner.com/AAwAAHUADAAAADe31ttZLaixkIMJb57KSl-wm7XDOiSLD6sWvyaVYeJVS4w2idNwUioLXfIOSBGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-uwYZKqbhmo20NBHBtvncFGzAzIYUzG0xWKsbIy-vILkkBGKr0rIbqq18jWS2L3-CvJF_o-dqgAAAAAA

At lvl 60:
Spoiler
With those life nodes and cruel ascendacy, i was surprise how tanky the build is even with 1,8k life. I sit with 2.1k life at lvl 60. The 20% regen is really nice. Did all content almost deathless without diffculty.

https://poeplanner.com/AAwAAKEADAAAAE231ttZLaixkIMJb57KSl-wm7XDOiSLD6sWvyaVYeJVS4w2idNwUioLXfIOSBGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-uwYZKqbhmo20NBHBtvncFGzAzIYUzG0xWKsbIy-vILkkBGKr0rIbqq18jWS2L3-Cv6Pnaq3PoPMPC3GrsT2cqmsqlnzGjiQVScvOtjsOIKbmjuf3-984XOiAClPnjyMdrcxAAAAAAA=

At lvl 60, i got those uniques :

My dps tripled.

Thanks!

Comment from my side: Hasty reconstruction is not important anymore because we have zero cooldown on main traps - no need to rush it

Advertising other builds:
[3.2] The Evolution of the Bow Trapper ~ Tanky ~ 100% Hit [Uber Atziri down]
Last edited by airparisderjesus on Jun 3, 2018, 4:33:07 AM
Last bumped on Jun 15, 2018, 7:03:34 PM
Hey, tried this build on t15. Maps clears quite good, damage good too, but its hard to fight bosses(first time playing traps, so maybe just not used to it).
1) FAQ Up

2) Shaper video is now inside

DEATHLESS (ok 1 death but didnt stand right in zanas bubble ;o)

Last edited by airparisderjesus on Mar 29, 2018, 3:56:56 PM
How do you proc the staff's on-crit/noncrit effects? Since "traps" is not "you"
easily with Orb of storms, which we also use for power charges
great build idea, but i feel like that determination armor is not really worth it
you barely have any significant armor to increase with the aura
the point of determination is to achieve block via Watcher's Eye
the additional armor is just a topping. getting these 8% block was the reason for me to drop The Anvil to use Pandemonius
Last edited by airparisderjesus on Apr 2, 2018, 5:09:58 PM
man when 3.3 is up and we have zero cooldown on Lightning/Fire Trap (maybe also Ice Trap? although Ice Trap is atm BiS because it has the lower cooldown compared to Fire Trap) this one will explode
Will try this for 3.3
Hey the build looks nice! Im hyped for 3.3.

Im trying this in Flashback league rigth now.

For those asking how to level, here's how i do atm and i think its really good. Ofc its a fast leveling method with a bunch of uniques.

Started with fire trap - multiple traps - added lightning and some uniques for fire/burning dmg. I used bear trap too for single target unique boss (until lvl 28).

Exemple of uniques :
Spoiler

Mokou's embrace should do it too.

At lvl 28, i switched to ice trap with this gear.

Gear i used for really nice dmg at lvl 28:
Spoiler

Of course, i used a tabula with those gems.

At lvl 38, get inc. aoe to replace conc. effect and cluster trap to replace multiple traps.

I switch multiple trap/cluster trap with added lightning and inc. aoe with conc effect for bosses.

The freeze chance + bonus from the two Spine of the first claimant is really strong. Plus, Call of the brotherhood gives 100% shock on frozen enemies. I almost one shot every blue packs. Bosses down pretty quickly too with single target set up.

My first shot at this build lvl 45:
Spoiler
I rushed the trap dmg nodes on the shadow area (+ you get dext for traps gems), but i started being VERY squishy at lvl 38 (after malachai). Still killed Innocence deathless with 800 life lol. I suggest to get some life nodes from Scion life wheel before finishing act 4. Hasty reconstruction is really important, adds some QoL to traps.

https://poeplanner.com/AAwAAHUADAAAADe31ttZLaixkIMJb57KSl-wm7XDOiSLD6sWvyaVYeJVS4w2idNwUioLXfIOSBGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-uwYZKqbhmo20NBHBtvncFGzAzIYUzG0xWKsbIy-vILkkBGKr0rIbqq18jWS2L3-CvJF_o-dqgAAAAAA

At lvl 60:
Spoiler
With those life nodes and cruel ascendacy, i was surprise how tanky the build is even with 1,8k life. I sit with 2.1k life at lvl 60. The 20% regen is really nice. Did all content almost deathless without diffculty.

https://poeplanner.com/AAwAAKEADAAAAE231ttZLaixkIMJb57KSl-wm7XDOiSLD6sWvyaVYeJVS4w2idNwUioLXfIOSBGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-uwYZKqbhmo20NBHBtvncFGzAzIYUzG0xWKsbIy-vILkkBGKr0rIbqq18jWS2L3-Cv6Pnaq3PoPMPC3GrsT2cqmsqlnzGjiQVScvOtjsOIKbmjuf3-984XOiAClPnjyMdrcxAAAAAAA=

At lvl 60, i got those uniques :

My dps tripled.

Thanks!

Last edited by Feurn on May 17, 2018, 3:01:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info