Video games blamed (again) for school shootings

I don't have links to articles in English since not my first language, but I just read that the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is meeting with Trump today because video games are being blamed again for school shootings. No big surprises that the ones leading the accusations is the NRA.

Crazy how many studies have been done that say there are no links between violence in video games and violence in real life, yet the industry gets blamed for everything.

edit: found a link in English https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/politics/donald-trump-video-games/index.html
Last edited by Namcap on Mar 8, 2018, 1:17:40 PM
Last bumped on Mar 15, 2018, 7:39:55 PM

people always find something to blame lol
I dont see any any key!
http://open.lib.umn.edu/intropsyc/chapter/7-3-learning-by-insight-and-observation/

"
Again, the answer is clear—playing violent video games leads to aggression. A recent meta-analysis by Anderson and Bushman (2001) reviewed 35 research studies that had tested the effects of playing violent video games on aggression. The studies included both experimental and correlational studies, with both male and female participants in both laboratory and field settings. They found that exposure to violent video games is significantly linked to increases in aggressive thoughts, aggressive feelings, psychological arousal (including blood pressure and heart rate), as well as aggressive behavior. Furthermore, playing more video games was found to relate to less altruistic behavior.

No links to violence in video games and violence in real life you say?

"
As expected, people who played violent video games
expected more aggressive responses from the main characters
in the stories than did people who played the nonviolent
video games,

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.491.1692&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I haven't read through all the studies. However, I am much more trusting of college literature than cnn.com.

Give links to the actual studies and let people make up their own minds.
"
SuicideAll wrote:
http://open.lib.umn.edu/intropsyc/chapter/7-3-learning-by-insight-and-observation/

"
Again, the answer is clear—playing violent video games leads to aggression. A recent meta-analysis by Anderson and Bushman (2001) reviewed 35 research studies that had tested the effects of playing violent video games on aggression. The studies included both experimental and correlational studies, with both male and female participants in both laboratory and field settings. They found that exposure to violent video games is significantly linked to increases in aggressive thoughts, aggressive feelings, psychological arousal (including blood pressure and heart rate), as well as aggressive behavior. Furthermore, playing more video games was found to relate to less altruistic behavior.

No links to violence in video games and violence in real life you say?

"
As expected, people who played violent video games
expected more aggressive responses from the main characters
in the stories than did people who played the nonviolent
video games,

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.491.1692&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I haven't read through all the studies. However, I am much more trusting of college literature than cnn.com.

see thats not evidence of actual violence

they just expected more violent outcomes in stories
I dont see any any key!
"
SuicideAll wrote:

The link was to show that ESA is meeting Trump because they are being blamed. I literally posted the first link in English that I found that was reporting the story so that others could be aware of it and make their own enquiries. I could post the link to where I found out about it but I think there's about 12 people here who could read it.
Correlation is not causation.

People who read Adventure literature also likely expect more aggressive (i.e. direct, confrontational, decisive, 'Heroic') actions from main characters. Same with action movies. Same with anything centered on physical conflict or struggle. All this shows is that some people like stories (and they are stories) where people are not weenies and solve their problems in the forthright, direct, and decisive manner they wish they could solve their own problems with.

This doesn't mean we're more likely to go on murderous rampages.

Maybe if people didn't blame gun owners, gun sellers, firearm enthusiasts, and in fact literally everyone and everything EXCEPT the actual criminal the spoons every time someone got fat, we'd have fewer spoon-using people feeling backed into a corner, feeling forced to support a radical-minded organization nobody really likes in order to retain their right to use spoons to eat food, and fewer National Spoon Associations looking to punch back any way they can because every time somebody ends up seventeen pounds overweight the entire country starts demanding that all spoons across the country be banned forever and anyone who owns, or has ever owned, a spoon be thrown in jail for even longer.
"
Namcap wrote:

Crazy how many studies have been done that say there are no links between violence in video games and violence in real life, yet the industry gets blamed for everything.

Crazy how you won't link these studies.
"
k1rage wrote:

see thats not evidence of actual violence

they just expected more violent outcomes in stories

Who is more likely to be violent, aggressive or non aggressive people?

Bring links to actual studies and let people form their own opinions. I'm not arguing for either side.
"
1453R wrote:
Correlation is not causation.

People who read Adventure literature also likely expect more aggressive (i.e. direct, confrontational, decisive, 'Heroic') actions from main characters. Same with action movies. Same with anything centered on physical conflict or struggle. All this shows is that some people like stories (and they are stories) where people are not weenies and solve their problems in the forthright, direct, and decisive manner they wish they could solve their own problems with.

How does "kicking the other persons car" solve the problem?

Read the studies. Form an opinion.

Present links to studies. Let others form an opinion.

I'm not arguing for either side. I'm just showing data.

"
SuicideAll wrote:

I'm not arguing for either side. I'm just showing data.

You're clearly arguing for the 'VIDJA GAEMS ARE BAD!' side. Which is super weird considering what forum we're on.

Namcamp specifically said that the studies he's using as the basis for his opinion are in his native language, and that language is not English. It's not his job to find a set of fresh new studies for you. If you want the raw data go find it; the rest of us have already determined that the 'link' between violent video games and violent incidents is bullshit.

Violent games (such as Path of Exile, just to keep some perspective here) do not cause real-life violence. The fact that some violent people who commit real-life violence also happen to play violent video games is irrelevant. That's not even correlation - that's just coincidence. Millions of people play games, there are many hundreds of thousands of different video games, and a lot of them are conflict-based. There's going to be some overlap.

It's like saying that overly tight pants causes violent behavior because some people who did Bad Things were found to prefer wearing overly tight pants. You can pseudoscience explanations about how restricted bloodflow and constant low-level subconscious discomfort from wearing ill-fitting clothes eventually provokes tight-pants-wearers into vicious violence, and if you throw enough valid-sounding jargon in there you'll convince people who never do any sort of fact verification that it's true.

Get enough people behind your bullshit and you end up with a nationwide call to ban tight pants. Which...suddenly makes no sense, does it?

Yeah.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info