Video games blamed (again) for school shootings

"
1453R wrote:

blah blah blah

Still no links to ANY studies. Still no data. For something that has supposedly been proven by NUMEROUS studies, you people sure have a problem providing even a single bit of evidence.

Since you keep trying to infer my opinions, I'll just save you the trouble.

Life isn't black and white. Many factors contribute to a school shooting. Exposure to violence (hyper-exposure in the case of USA) is 1 of multiple contributing factors.

In a perfect world, parents should monitor their children. It is the parents responsibility to teach their children to coexist peacefully with others.

Video games can be addictive. Addiction, in any form, is not good for any one.

However, banishing video games will not solve any problems. People will move onto a different vice. That does not mean awareness and education should be abandoned.

There is no easy answer. People need to put actual effort into becoming "good" human beings.
writing to my mp to try get him to debate in the house of commons if gamers should be recognised as a hate group (they should)
"
SuicideAll wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:

see thats not evidence of actual violence

they just expected more violent outcomes in stories

Who is more likely to be violent, aggressive or non aggressive people?

Bring links to actual studies and let people form their own opinions. I'm not arguing for either side.

again they just expect characters to be more violent based upon said studies

there is no real world evidence at all

its about stories for fork sake

people no matter if the play games or not can tell the difference between games and reality
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:

again they just expect characters to be more violent based upon said studies

there is no real world evidence at all

its about stories for fork sake

people no matter if the play games or not can tell the difference between games and reality

And again you provide no data.

Typical sheeple. Never do any research, just repeat opinions.

Exposure to violence tends to increase aggression. <- supported by actual real world evidence.

The manifestation of increased aggression differs based on the individual. <- the part you don't understand

Do violent video games cause school shootings? No.

Do violent video games cause an increase in aggressive and violent behavior? Yes.

Are violent video games helpful to society? No.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

If you look at this timeline you see that ever sinds gaming became meanstream violent crimes have gone down.
But other then that its very easy to see that this claim is bullshit cause if it realy does cause violence were are the european/japanese/korean mass school shootings?
Not that there never have been shootings in these regions ofc but this problem whit violence is
mostly an american thing and even there they are incidents.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
Last edited by jackof8lades on Mar 8, 2018, 9:39:24 PM
Video games are a mistake. They're nothing but trash.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
https://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/

A couple of things pop out.

1. While "consensus" states that this is strictly an American problem, there were some international incidents.
2. Guns were a common weapon of choice, but knives and even swords were brandished in these events.
3. All of the listed perps were on anti-depressants.

Also, spoons do not make one fat. THe act of repeatedly using a spoon to shovel loads of fatty and/or sugary foods into your body makes you fat. THe spoon is just a tool.
[quote="Lovecraftuk"]I think the new meta is everyone bitching about the new league. [/quote]
"
SuicideAll wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:
"
SuicideAll wrote:
No links to violence in video games and violence in real life you say?

"As expected, people who played violent video games expected more aggressive responses from the main characters in the stories than did people who played the nonviolent video games"
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.491.1692&rep=rep1&type=pdf
see thats not evidence of actual violence

they just expected more violent outcomes in stories
Who is more likely to be violent, aggressive or non aggressive people?
The study doesn't actually demonstrate people who have played violent video games behaving more aggressively; it instead shows them more prone to anticipate/expect violent behavior from hypothetical actors. These are not necessarily the same thing; for instance, a person who considers violence as a potential behavior choice might be more likely to engage in violence themselves OR might have no increase in aggression while taking security more seriously (ex: ensuring their door is locked, maintaining a further distance from strangers, etc).

It seems to me that your position is what I call the Garden of Eden Defense — that is, an attempt at safety through ignorance. "If it never occurs to people that violence can be effective, then they won't be violent and we'll be safer." Well, I can definitely see how attempts would go down if the knowledge was covered up... but still the same time, it seems to me like success rate would go up. A population that isn't thinking about the threat of violence is ill-prepared to respond to it when the time comes — that's why, for example, network security professionals study the tools and methods hackers use, so they know how to thwart them. However, you'd rather censor such information in the name of security, as some use it maliciously. You're basically counting on no one eating the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge for your plan to work.

Well, I'm pretty confident that you're wrong. A society that has both more aggressive types and more defense types is probably going to win against an otherwise similar society that has neither. It's not like we don't have militaries, you know; I've personally served with several people who would daydream aloud about violence, and were able to channel their aggression in a way that was not only legal but paid decently.

Do you really think that traditional masculinity is inherently toxic, and that going full pacifist is what's best for society? That a society devoid of warrior mentality is evolutionarily adaptive? Do you think aggression is inherently evil?

I would imagine that training in the martial arts would lead to results similar to violent video games in terms of story completion. Should we close down all the dojos to get rid of all the Johnny Lawrences, at the cost of all the Daniel LaRussos?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 9, 2018, 3:50:38 AM
^People have this weird notion in today's society that aggression and violence are bad things.

While in reality, just like with all character attributes, it is the context that behaves like a judge within a moral construct.

I am perfectly capable of using extreme aggression and violence in a few number of situations and it would be utterly childish to not recognize this and under-play the utility of that behavior.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Please do not lower yourself to the level of these idiots. Present some actual data for your claims.

The very first link I provided cites numerous studies. While the supporters of violent video games have yet to provide A SINGLE STUDY

I had more typed but this forum is bull shit and didn't post. TLDR:

Martial arts teaches ethics and morals. Google Chuck Norris' martial arts.

Crime is down because it is not a crime to "rage" at a tv or "violently" throw a controller across the room. People are spending more time separated from the public.

You are completely wrong about my personal beliefs. Go read where I explicitly stated my personal beliefs instead of guessing.
Last edited by SuicideAll on Mar 9, 2018, 9:33:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info