Potential Forum Changes

"
azamantes wrote:
Thanks for listening to feedback and not removing item cabinet section !!

I never once entered the off topic section and never realized until now how popular that was. What is the problem, all the discussion with the removal of it ?

Shitposting, memes and anime discussions can happen in other places on the internet...right ?

but I already know the people here....
I dont see any any key!
Few shower thoughts.

In the event of Off-Topic being sent to the big archive in the sky, I think the definition of 'off topic' would have to be reviewed regarding what would be okay in 'Discussion'. For example, something mentioning D3 but still in relation to PoE could no longer be dumped to OT, but might be a productive, 'on topic' discussion on the PoE boards. Basically, if the person can relate a topic to PoE and is doing so in a way that makes the focus PoE, I would be inclined to consider that 'on topic' in the absence of an Off-Topic board.

And should OT stay, Sarno's idea does seem possible with a simple 'no politics or religion' clause. I maintain that this might be too vague for some people and fairly easy to circumvent, but it'd be a nice start. OTOH so many things that were once innocuous in an Off-Topic arena are now politically charged, or maybe some of the regulars there are just really quick to politicise everything. I dunno. I just...don't know.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 20, 2018, 5:14:34 PM
The real questions is: why does this forum exist at all? Many at GGG appear to prefer spending their time slumming on reddit. I fail to see why this is here in the first place at all. Maybe it served some function once, but business decisions are business decisions.

You guys could spend all your time (rather than 80-99 percent) on reddit, happy as the proverbial clam, and the slack will be picked up by fansites, eg., poebuilds, etc.

Technical support would be on reddit too except for tickets. Bug tickets could be in game.

Announcements would of course be moved to reddit and would also be on twitch, fb, etc just as they are now.

You would save a lot of money, possibly with opportunities of paring down some unnecessary staff.

Censored.
I'd say primarily because GGG staff aren't allowed to moderate there. If they were, this forum might be dust and memories other than for trading. Which is probably not a bad thing.

But sure, wipe the whole thing other than announcements and allow people to comment on those.

Or make it impossible for people to start new threads and just use the forum as a means of gaining targeted feedback via staff-made request posts.

I've seen both systems on other games. I am most definitely not being facetious here.

...Okay, maybe a little, but only because GGG rely so heavily on communication between players for players to understand anything more than the basics of the game. I *could* have run my sword thread on reddit but without item linking and with reddit's 'gone from the front page in a day no matter what' style updating, it would have been far less effective than what I/we did here.

I wouldn't dismiss this place quite yet, just because reddit is, in the short term, much more convenient for quick exchanges and upvoted visibility.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 20, 2018, 7:45:41 PM
...Aaand have no control (reddit guidelines means they can't moderate), no focus (everything is GD? ew), no centralization (builds are on site X, discussion on Y, bugs Z, also ew).

Plus, reddit is yet less hospitable than this forum, in my experience. :/ That's impressive.

No thanks. Seems like a shitty trade.
"
The_Scourge wrote:
I'd say primarily because GGG staff aren't allowed to moderate there.

BINGO! You get a kewpie doll! Woot!

Seriously though, think of all the layoffs GGG could have!

I am being facetious, you do know? But as a businessperson I simply cannot imagine meeting clients over at reddit. GGG thinks it is a normal place not the troll farm it is for whatever odd reason.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
"
The_Scourge wrote:
I'd say primarily because GGG staff aren't allowed to moderate there.

BINGO! You get a kewpie doll! Woot!

Seriously though, think of all the layoffs GGG could have!

I am being facetious, you do know? But as a businessperson I simply cannot imagine meeting clients over at reddit. GGG thinks it is a normal place not the troll farm it is for whatever odd reason.

Chris made the PoE subreddit long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some residual nostalgia for it in that regard. And it IS a convenient place to get your message seen by a lot of people in an immediate sense.

I look at it like this: official forum is for the big, coherent announcements for the masses who don't live/eat/breathe/shit PoE; reddit is sort of like where the hardcore fans get fed little scraps a little earlier than the normies and make a big deal out of it.

GD is dead, long live GD!
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
Just to summarise where we're at now as a result of conversation in this thread:

This isn't locked in yet so it's still open to further discussion.
[/list]
Help
  • Account Information and Technical Support
  • Gameplay Help and Discussion
  • General Guides

Builds/Classes
  • Duelist
  • Marauder
  • Ranger
  • Scion
  • Shadow
  • Templar
  • Witch

This isn't locked in yet so it's still open to further discussion.

I would suggest to simply put in a sub-sub category for general guides like How to lootfilter or similar stuff to Gameplay Help and Discussion. I wish for a dedicated spot for these.

█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
This may not be the sort of feedback you're looking for in this thread, but I'd like to bring attention to the thread search function.

It is terrible. At a minimum, a forum search should return the time when a topic was started, and the time of the last post. It would also ideally allow one to search for relevant individual posts rather than whole threads, and return that information in a more condensed form, on individual lines.

Perhaps this is a limitation of the forum software ggg uses. But it would go a long way toward creating enduring threads and eliminating redundant ones if the search function was useful in navigating them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info