Skill Reveal - Spectral Shield Throw

I expect GGG create some unique or jewel that convert damage from other sources to apply to this kind of shield damage.
"
Antigegner wrote:
boring and unneeded...we need spectral boot throw.

Hehehehe. I was thinking how should be the player throwing his boots in the enemies. Very odd.
"
ACGIFT wrote:
I'm noticing some things here... While someone else pointed out it being shown with a typical endgame "flask to win" setup (Atziri's, ToH, Sin's, and Vinktar) what I noticed is that in not a single example did it throw multiple projectiles. I'm guessing this means one of two things:

• "Extra projectiles" only applies to the secondary effect. (akin to how GMP only affects primary shots of Tornado Shot, but not the secondary)
  • The skill, rather arbitrarily, can't be used with sources of extra projectiles.

Both are actually kinda silly, and speak to an inability to actually balance game mechanics, but the latter is worse than the former.

I can perhaps see WHY they would force a non-GMP skill; there's hope to make people use the (otherwise worthless) Chain and Fork supports. But if they need a SPECIFIC skill to use them with, it's not really helping out the supports, is it? It's just an arbitrary, mandatory pairing. Better would be to rework the mechanics of fork and chain, (maybe even return GMP's old larger damage penalty while we're at it) or do SOMETHING to shift away from the whole meta of "all five support gems are for MORE (or de facto more) damage."

Anyway, beyond that, I guess GGG is feeling that Captain America fever? A little belated, given that it's Black Panther that's all the rage in theaters at the moment... :P

"
MasterAxe wrote:
Im sorry, but if they were a top priority, then they would have been done long before now. Now that just confirms most of them will just be broke in one way or another, which most expect anyways sadly. There was also no reason to rework all of the ascendencys, only had to fix the stupidly broken ones, that were barely used.

Yeah, I have to concur with this. I was VERY troubled by their apparent need to, say, buff Berserker, which is an ascendancy that's needed absolutely no love; as of this writing, it's the #1 most-popular class, accounting for 14.56% of builds.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Meanwhile, while I have no doubt that GGG will give some love to the classes that badly needed it (*coughAssassincough*) the issue is... When EVERYONE gets something, that means the supposed fix to disparity just maintains the status quo: sure, Assassin will be in a better position compared to the OLD Berserker... But the -NEW- Berserker is even beyond that.

GGG should have skipped buffs for the top 6 classes (Berserker, Slayer, Gladiator, Pathfinder, Raider, and Necromancer; not even 1/3 of classes make up over 60% of builds!) and just revisited the others.

If you took the time to read, you wouldn't have to assume. Projectiles only apply to the shatter as it clearly states. So, who are you to speak about the "inability to balance game mechanics" on a skill that you didn't even take 30 seconds to read a few paragraphs about?(well even if you read everything on it, you still wouldn't be qualified as we know nothing about it's scaling) They aren't forcing a non-GMP or more accurately a non-added-projectile skill. Added projectiles in this case are still good for clear speed (just probably not worth the gem). There is no big scheme to make everyone use fork and chain. It's not that Fork and chain are bad (well fork isn't. I find damage penalty on chain a little much, but chain as a mechanic is still good), it is just that most skills benefit more by using pierce + more projectiles. This stems from 1) there are more sources of Pierce and it is fairly easy to get. You could literally just use a curse. 2) There is no drawback for Pierce (There are only a few items that give fork and chain for free with no drawback so most builds would require the skill gem which has Less damage modifier; especially fork). 3) Projectiles that Pierce can't Fork or Chain. Besides, even if Added projectiles worked for the initial shield throw, this would only make Fork an even better choice for it.

As for Ascendancy's, they aren't fixing them. They are reworking them. Like they initially did when introducing Atlas. An outdated concept is being reworked to better fit today's game. It has nothing to do with what is most used or what is working currently. As for everyone getting something just maintains the status quo, That only applies if everyone gets the same amount of something. Note: they aren't simply just buffing everything. It's a rework.
"
Legintown wrote:
"
Seronia wrote:
Oh boy,
if and it is a big if, this skill scales with armour and attack damage this skill has the potential to be highest damage skill ingame. 500% increased armour without even the shield nodes which give 25% more defenses on shield. Ouch that will hurt big time.
2K armour shields are not that uncommen. (2000 base armour * 5 armour multiplier) / 15 (damage from armour) * 2 (lowest damage you get per 15 armour) = 1.3K base damage without any supports and a base attack speed of 1. Since a lot of armour nodes also provide life we get a hell of a tanky high dps build. And that is before any attack damage multis or ascendancies.
So in retrospect, either the damage won't scale with armour nodes or this skill will be a bid op.
Just my 2 cents

Damage wont scale with the shield nodes. The shield nodes doesn't increase the armor value on the shield - it multiplies the armor the character gains from equipping a shield. I initially got the same hype as you but tested it immediately after :-)

Dammit but as expected, thx for testing
That looks damn interesting, and I'm already checking the wiki and PoB for some canvas to work on.

The only question that comes to my mind is if Chance to Bleed is going to have a rewording to be compatible with that skill, since it gives flat damage to attack with weapon, and if I understand, that attack doesn't uses the weapon, but the Shield.
So this is kinda like Frost Blades when it comes to good AOE but pretty bad Boss damage?
"
D3s7r0y3r wrote:
So this is kinda like Frost Blades when it comes to good AOE but pretty bad Boss damage?

No one knows because no one knows the scaling of the gem. Frost blades is bad on bosses because projectiles can't hit the target you melee. Take Molten strike for an example which scaling is identical to frost blades. It has initial melee and projectiles after. But it's projectiles can hit your initial target so it's really good for bosses. Shield throw is probably similar to frost blades in this aspect but if the damage is high enough it won't even matter.
please, communicate about ascendancies, we don't care about new skills.
"
KaseyM21 wrote:
"
D3s7r0y3r wrote:

No one knows because no one knows the scaling of the gem. Frost blades is bad on bosses because projectiles can't hit the target you melee. Take Molten strike for an example which scaling is identical to frost blades. It has initial melee and projectiles after. But it's projectiles can hit your initial target so it's really good for bosses. Shield throw is probably similar to frost blades in this aspect but if the damage is high enough it won't even matter.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about. I even played a FB/MS char this season and even got my solo Shaper kill. FB 4link for fast map clear and 6link MS for Bosses. But since it seems like all the scaling in Spectral Shield Throw is after the shattering for the projectiles I would assume it will behave like FB. But we will see I guess.
Last edited by D3s7r0y3r on Feb 19, 2018, 9:39:00 AM
And this is how the previously facetank AFK HP build now become practically immortal.

I am not complaining. Just pointing that everyone's real RPG player ( not rich junkie which is making this game a need-for-speed with money runn ) is expecting at some point to be awesome facetanking the last boss ( whoever it is ).

And thus means that the game should be never be balanced ! Which is the best in PoE.
Just one very disappointed PoE fan.
CI casters made PoE to the top, and GGG decided to kill them.
Best decision ever!
2 x Xeon E5 2695 V4 ( 36 cores/72 threads ) / 128 GB RAM / 2 x GTX 1080 / 3 x Philips 55" displays / 1200W PSU / 4 x 512 GB SSD / 2 x 8 TB HDD
Last edited by SonicPLD2 on Feb 19, 2018, 9:41:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info