[3.15] Fivers Frost Blades Raider (Outdated)

"
Killzu wrote:

I saw the post about added cold although im not using it over Ice Bite, I am using it over ancestral call as I dont need AC with the chain on ToA.

Not sure the logic behind ancestral call being "Vastly Superior" to ToA's Chain, 125k dps superior?

I can definitely see the benefit of Bloodseeker's instant leech but again, going from ToA + Lycosidae + Added Cold to Bloodseeker + Lycosidae + Ancestral call is a loss of 150k dps in my POB.

Definitely gonna work on getting a Lycosidae regardless, they just went from 140C to 3ex+ this morning tho.....

I think you are missing the point on Ancestral Call. Yes, it will lower you tooltip dps.
It is supposed to do that. If you look at the ancestral call it says:
"Supported Skills deal (25-16)% less Damage"

But think of it as a GMP. Let's assume we play with Spectral Throw.
We all know GMP lowers the DPS of our projectiles, but obviously it's better for clearing than using Slower Projectiles, even though Slower Projectiles deals an enormous amount of damage. Because we can hit more targets in one attack.

Ancestral Call works in a similiar way.
Here, I'll show it to you.

This is how Frost Blades work with Touch of Anguish.
Spoiler
It doesn't add projectiles, but existing projectiles can hit an extra target.
The maximum amount of targets it can hit is 15. Pretty neat.

This is how Frost Blades work with Ancestral Call.
Spoiler
Instead of chaining projectiles, Ancestral Call adds 2 melee hits to the frost blade attack.
Basically, you are throwing 3 frost blades at the same time.
The maximum amount of targets it can hit is 24.

But here's where it gets cool.
Spoiler
Ancestral call can attack in all directions. So you are not only throwing 3 frost blades at the same time, but you can jump into the middle of an enemy pack, and just explode them from inside in all directions, if you should wish.

And we're not done...
Let's assume we are fighting only 3 targets, and they are perfectly lined up for maximum destruction.

Here's how Frost Blades works with Touch of Anguish:
Spoiler

1st target gets hit 1 time.
the other two targets get hit 2 times.

Here's Ancestral Call:
Spoiler

The targets on the sides gets hit 2 times.
The target in the middle gets hit 3 times.

This is why Ancestral Call is so incredibly strong for clearspeed.
Yes, it has lower dps.. But:
it can hit more targets
it can shoot in all directions
it can hit the same targets more times

Also, when we have decent gear, our DPS is so good, that it won't actually make any noticable difference when we are clearing, even if the two skills work the same.

I spent way too much time on this.... lol

(Edits: spelling, syntax, cleaning up.)

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Mar 8, 2018, 10:30:06 AM
I fully appreciate that post!

I can see the benefit of Ancestral Call now, the time you spent is not lost. This answers a lot of the questions regarding why we are not using Touch of Anguish. I actually switched out to double Wasp Nests with Ancestral Call just to see it in action while you were making that post. Ancestral Call is much better the higher I go in map tier, obviously due to hitting the same target multiple times. At lower tier I just 1 shot packs regardless of whether I use ToA or AC but higher tiers AC starts to shine due to the benefits you listed.

I really appreciate you taking the time to visually show whats going on, it will help many users im sure and would be a great addition to an FAQ section in the main post!

Now to get that Lycosidae, about 20 more chaos to go!!
"
Killzu wrote:
I fully appreciate that post!

I can see the benefit of Ancestral Call now, the time you spent is not lost. This answers a lot of the questions regarding why we are not using Touch of Anguish. I actually switched out to double Wasp Nests with Ancestral Call just to see it in action while you were making that post. Ancestral Call is much better the higher I go in map tier, obviously due to hitting the same target multiple times. At lower tier I just 1 shot packs regardless of whether I use ToA or AC but higher tiers AC starts to shine due to the benefits you listed.

I really appreciate you taking the time to visually show whats going on, it will help many users im sure and would be a great addition to an FAQ section in the main post!

Now to get that Lycosidae, about 20 more chaos to go!!

No problem, I'm enjoying it.
I think it is really fun that so many people play my build, and I'd like them to have the best experience possible. :)

Don't panic.
Why ice bite gem? if some bosses are inmune to that,and normal mobs die instant,dont need chance to freeze
"
En3ka wrote:
Why ice bite gem? if some bosses are inmune to that,and normal mobs die instant,dont need chance to freeze

There are actually not that many bosses that are immune to freeze anymore. Shaper isn't, Elder isn't, Uber Izaro isn't, etc..
But you don't really HAVE to use Ice Bite. There are other good options. Cold penetration or Melee Physical Damage are two very solid options.

I want to add though, that the damage of the skill gems can vary a lot depending on your gear.

Don't panic.
UPDATE

I have added a lot of stuff to the guide.

After adding in new content, the guide is slowly becoming longer and longer. In an attempt to compress it a bit and make it easier to read, I've tried changing the layout a bit.
I hope that these changes are an improvement to the guide.

Don't panic.
Hi,

First to say this build is awesome, i am having a blast playing it in new league.

Since i am still new, my question is how to you keep your mana stable?
"
styg wrote:
Hi,

First to say this build is awesome, i am having a blast playing it in new league.

Since i am still new, my question is how to you keep your mana stable?

With Frost Blades, I get my mana from leech.
When you get enough dps, mana stops being a problem really.
The node "Soul Raker" in the passive tree is the only source of mana leech used.

I also have reduced mana support linked together with my whirling blades, so it doesn't cost that much.

If you are having problems with mana though, there are a couple of solutions.

You can get Spirit Void for more leech (2 passive points if you have vitality void)
You can get Mana Flows for more mana and faster regen. (2 passive points)
You can get Essence Sap (3 points)

There are also rings that help with mana
Praxis - has "-(8-4) to Total Mana Cost of Skills"
You can also buy rings from Elreon when he is level 4, that reduce the cost of skills.

But really, having Soul Raker should be enough. :)

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Mar 8, 2018, 6:18:35 PM
Hello, first of all great guide thanks for the effort!
I'm trying it out, atm started mapping, not very rich etc. Don't know if it's me, but is the build's single-target dmg way low? I did a map or two, wiped trash instantly and flew through them, but had alot of problems with bosses (also red beasts, they take ages to kill with this build).

Am I doing something wrong or theres a node that improves single target dmg that I still didn't take as I took all life ones :)

Kind regards,
Having a 5L what skills do you prefer?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info