[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

"
DankawSL wrote:
The build immune to all elemental ailments, that includes freeze. You simply need to have onslaught (which is basically all the time) or 3 frenzy charges (bosses).

Oh, cool. Thanks! :)

Does this mean that while we have onslaught we can't be "CC"ed (e.g., stunned)? Or is that treated as something else? I've never been sure about these CC-type effects in PoE.
Last edited by Relnerad on Jan 7, 2019, 5:47:39 PM
you can still be stunned, but stun is an on-hit effect, and having such high evasion as raider easily does means you will almost never be stunned because you almost never get hit
"
Step 6a: Remove the crafted mod, and then craft "33-40% Non-ailment Chaos DoT Multiplier" OR "+2 to Level of Socketed Support Gems" (End of crafting)

so any information as to which is the better prefix, or which prefix is best in order of most dps?

+1 gems
+2 bow
+2 support
40% dot multi
lvl 20 vicious projectiles.

which are the best 3 to shoot for?

seems like the best prefix are
dot multi
vicious proj
then either of the bow gems - so long as you're using empower as a support. but having more gem levels over the multi or vicious proj doesn't seem like it'll be more damage.

someone correct me if im wrong, please
Last edited by xMustard on Jan 7, 2019, 7:57:15 PM
Thanks for the great guide!

I've always wanted a nice ranger build, could never really settle on something that would fit my playstyle.

Coming from a popular build(vortex/coldsnap heavy dot), to this one is quite similar. Just alot faster, but less Tanky / more Dodgy :D.

Ranger is only lv73 at the moment, I feel like i've picked up too many offensive nodes apart from defensive. I'm at about 4.5k health at the moment, which i strongly feel the need to improve > Maybe drop the top chaos damage nodes, and pickup constitution for the time being ? I know some items can use improvement, ive gone for mostly life on everything.

~ Raz
Last edited by Razero on Jan 7, 2019, 8:31:02 PM
"
DankawSL wrote:

The second thing, you don't fully understand how Toxic Rain scales. Duration also scales Toxic Rains damage. You literally path around 45% more damage (duration) cluster and don't pick it up.

I'm not sure if this is a failed attempt to sound condescending and smart, or if you're really stupid enough to believe that, but whatever, I'll bite.

There are other duration increases, diminishing returns means it's not 45% more. There is an opportunity cost, and as you mention elsewhere, there are a lot of DPS nodes, and you kinda have to sacrifice some for life and utility. As a result the nodes I would drop definitely would be DPS nodes to pick these up rather than life / defense / utility nodes. The end result is that these nodes are a DPS decrease for much of the duration as a trade for the increased damage per shot.

Yes, there is an overall DPS increase for standing in one place firing, but but fights require movement, and almost any fight with enough monster DPS for this to matter also have the boss moving around...and often out of the rain you just put down at the only point in the skill's duration where these points benefit. So while in theory these points are a ~30% more. In most realistic situations they are varying between a +10% to -9% and in a select few optimal cases with mostly stationary bosses more like a +20-25%. In no case is this anywhere near a 45% more.

I have actually tried playing both with and without this cluster multiple times (I eat regrets like candy) and in my actual experience, the difference is barely noticeable. Pretty much the only noticeable advantage comes when you need to regen mana and damage per shot actually matters, which is really only an issue at a mid-tier gearing (low tier you are using a mana flask, and high tier, you negate mana issues via gearing.) At this point I've opted for the frontloaded damage nodes because I'm not currently doing bosses that backloaded / ramp up duration points are a significant benefit.

The argument you made, while completely over-exaggerated and naive, does support CA over TR though, as the more you need to move, the better CA looks compared with TR. This is part of why TR is so good with Mirage Archer linked and CA isn't.
"
Relnerad wrote:
Spoiler
"
DankawSL wrote:
The build immune to all elemental ailments, that includes freeze. You simply need to have onslaught (which is basically all the time) or 3 frenzy charges (bosses).

Oh, cool. Thanks! :)

Does this mean that while we have onslaught we can't be "CC"ed (e.g., stunned)? Or is that treated as something else? I've never been sure about these CC-type effects in PoE.

No ignites, shock, freeze, chill can be applied on you. You can still be stunned, but it's going to be extremely rare and pretty much non-existant during mapping thanks to all the evasion. End game bosses with really high damage can still stun you if you tank the abilities you shouldn't.

"
xMustard wrote:
Spoiler
"
Step 6a: Remove the crafted mod, and then craft "33-40% Non-ailment Chaos DoT Multiplier" OR "+2 to Level of Socketed Support Gems" (End of crafting)

so any information as to which is the better prefix, or which prefix is best in order of most dps?

+1 gems
+2 bow
+2 support
40% dot multi
lvl 20 vicious projectiles.

which are the best 3 to shoot for?

seems like the best prefix are
dot multi
vicious proj
then either of the bow gems - so long as you're using empower as a support. but having more gem levels over the multi or vicious proj doesn't seem like it'll be more damage.

someone correct me if im wrong, please

It is implied in expensive version:

* Lvl 20 Vicious Projectiles (can use additional support gem)
* +2 Support gems
* +1 All gems

It obviously requires you to have empower inside the bow. +2 support gems is stronger than +2 bow because you know... it works on support gem level too. Chaos DoT multi is slightly weaker than +2 support gems, but is MUCH cheaper. Crafting is basically a choice - do you want to pay 1ex to get ~5% more damage?

There's one more thing to note, chaos DoT multi gets worse as you invest into it in other sources (gloves/amulet/jewels), so that's one thing to consider.

"
Razero wrote:
Spoiler

I've always wanted a nice ranger build, could never really settle on something that would fit my playstyle.

Coming from a popular build(vortex/coldsnap heavy dot), to this one is quite similar. Just alot faster, but less Tanky / more Dodgy :D.

Ranger is only lv73 at the moment, I feel like i've picked up too many offensive nodes apart from defensive. I'm at about 4.5k health at the moment, which i strongly feel the need to improve > Maybe drop the top chaos damage nodes, and pickup constitution for the time being ? I know some items can use improvement, ive gone for mostly life on everything.

You still have to get to the tanky portion. Nothing beats curses against monsters obviously, but the build shouldn't be too far defensively.

Your gear is overall really solid, the problem is your tree. I show exact tree progression in levelling section. You can fix it by reallocating point bit by bit to get rid of the nodes you shouldn't be picking up. I know you can figure out right way to do this. You can find the passive trees in levelling section of course.

"
concillian wrote:
Spoiler
"
DankawSL wrote:

The second thing, you don't fully understand how Toxic Rain scales. Duration also scales Toxic Rains damage. You literally path around 45% more damage (duration) cluster and don't pick it up.

I'm not sure if this is a failed attempt to sound condescending and smart, or if you're really stupid enough to believe that, but whatever, I'll bite.

There are other duration increases, diminishing returns means it's not 45% more. There is an opportunity cost, and as you mention elsewhere, there are a lot of DPS nodes, and you kinda have to sacrifice some for life and utility. As a result the nodes I would drop definitely would be DPS nodes to pick these up rather than life / defense / utility nodes. The end result is that these nodes are a DPS decrease for much of the duration as a trade for the increased damage per shot.

Yes, there is an overall DPS increase for standing in one place firing, but but fights require movement, and almost any fight with enough monster DPS for this to matter also have the boss moving around...and often out of the rain you just put down at the only point in the skill's duration where these points benefit. So while in theory these points are a ~30% more. In most realistic situations they are varying between a +10% to -9% and in a select few optimal cases with mostly stationary bosses more like a +20-25%. In no case is this anywhere near a 45% more.

I have actually tried playing both with and without this cluster multiple times (I eat regrets like candy) and in my actual experience, the difference is barely noticeable. Pretty much the only noticeable advantage comes when you need to regen mana and damage per shot actually matters, which is really only an issue at a mid-tier gearing (low tier you are using a mana flask, and high tier, you negate mana issues via gearing.) At this point I've opted for the frontloaded damage nodes because I'm not currently doing bosses that backloaded / ramp up duration points are a significant benefit.

The argument you made, while completely over-exaggerated and naive, does support CA over TR though, as the more you need to move, the better CA looks compared with TR. This is part of why TR is so good with Mirage Archer linked and CA isn't.

No need to be disrespectful. I never implied any ill-intentions through my reply, in fact it's the opposite. There's simply no reason to NOT pick these nodes up if you know how Toxic Rain works. Absolutely none. It's not about my opinion or yours, it's about the math.

Even your own estimated/quick math supports that you should pick it up. If you didn't focus on defending yourself for... no reason, you would reach the same conclusion as me and many other people better at this game than myself.

Here's the thing your TR currently lasts 1.06 second. I'm gonna do quick math on realistic numbers. Let's say your total increased damage is 400% (+100% base damage) and you lose 50% by picking up duration nodes. Additional time required for duration nodes to deal same amount of damage like your frontloaded setup is... 0.12 second. That's basically 1st small node. Before that you deal only slightly less damage, and any additional duration will quickly make up the difference and deal MUCH more sustained damage.

Trash mobs will always die regardless of what you do, picking these nodes will not hurt you at all. Against tougher targets? The difference is going to be VERY noticeable. Most bosses are stationary/slow, and unless you kill them in 1 second which i heavily doubt - you should always pick duration nodes.

And yes, there are other increases of duration for TR - elder boots, Increased Duration support and Trickster ascendancy. That's it. I can't really see you picking any of them.

About the last part - MA deals only ~25% of your damage (~36% more damage multiplier). True, TR can use it but... what about it? It's completely out of context. Oh, i should probably note that increased duration also applies to Mirage Archer, slightly increasing clear speed if there's bigger gap between mob packs or you were looting.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
Last edited by DankawSL on Jan 8, 2019, 9:45:53 AM
"
Razero wrote:
Spoiler

"
DankawSL wrote:
Spoiler
You still have to get to the tanky portion. Nothing beats curses against monsters obviously, but the build shouldn't be too far defensively.

Your gear is overall really solid, the problem is your tree. I show exact tree progression in levelling section. You can fix it by reallocating point bit by bit to get rid of the nodes you shouldn't be picking up. I know you can figure out right way to do this. You can find the passive trees in levelling section of course.

Cant believe I didnt read that part, I guess its because I never look at a lvling guide. Have done that so many times, I can dream it lol.
Changed a few things in the tree, gone for most of the things in your lv73 tree. Apart from the top damage nodes, used them for more life (6k now at lv74). Dont need them for now, everything up to t12|(including bosses) still die in one CA :D
Thanks again!
~ Raz
How much tooltip dps i need to kill shaper comfortably?
Spoiler

Thank you for your helpful and detailed guide. Tried your build this season and it is a lot of fun to play - and thats already the most important Thing for. Furthermore, this season I 6linkes my first item (the body armour) and crafted my first items (bow and quiver). So far, I have some success with the build. Today, I killed the four Shaper guardins the first time myself … almost deathless.

Currently, I try to improve my build. I work on Enlighten 4, but no luck so far with corruption. And I craft the staff for the recommended classic build, but I need a crafting Service for "+2 Level to socketed support gems".

I am really not confident regarding my core items. I still use common Starkonja. Gloves, boots and jewellery might not be best. I am not sure. I purchased the Watcher's Eye for 15c. Maybe it can be also improves. Any recommendation and any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards abimo
"
Miha617 wrote:
How much tooltip dps i need to kill shaper comfortably?

Depends what do you mean by "comfortable", it varies from person to person. I believe 200k which you can achieve with the standard +3 bow with chaos DoT multiplier and lvl 21 CA gem is enough for pretty much anybody.

"
abimo wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Thank you for your helpful and detailed guide. Tried your build this season and it is a lot of fun to play - and thats already the most important Thing for. Furthermore, this season I 6linkes my first item (the body armour) and crafted my first items (bow and quiver). So far, I have some success with the build. Today, I killed the four Shaper guardins the first time myself … almost deathless.

Currently, I try to improve my build. I work on Enlighten 4, but no luck so far with corruption. And I craft the staff for the recommended classic build, but I need a crafting Service for "+2 Level to socketed support gems".

I am really not confident regarding my core items. I still use common Starkonja. Gloves, boots and jewellery might not be best. I am not sure. I purchased the Watcher's Eye for 15c. Maybe it can be also improves. Any recommendation and any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards abimo

Your gear absolutely fine. Just divine the Watcher's Eye to 8% and... min-max the build. Get Empower 4 and craft/buy elder bow. Besides this, it's min-maxing.

You can find all worthy mods in crafting section and delve league. I'll be working on merging them soon.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info