Trade API Delays

If my search for a kikazaru ring last night was any indication, there's LOTs of people still sniping.
"
Strained wrote:
"
thezensei wrote:
Sure, but your thinking could potentially stifle innovation which will long-term affect the PoE community, and that is also bad for GGG.

As a developer, I don't see how it stifles innovation at all. It's just giving premium service to proven tools. If your tool is well received, then you can get added to the whitelist without any problem.

I think it's a completely rational response to try and curb sniping tools (which most people apparently agree is an issue that needs to be addressed), while allowing newer and better tools to rise to the top.

I should probably disclaim that I'm a developer as well, and been considering to develop a tool or two for a game I occasionally play.

I'm a CTO and co-founder of companies, one in the size of Grinding Gear, and I can completely appreciate the predicament from their perspective.

If you have an audience, you should treat them equally. If you don't favoritism will lead to a PR-hell, which will hurt the company long term.

I should also add that if it weren't for the 3rd party tools, I would probably have lost interest in the game, and therefore not spend the ~$2K in support of the game. Which I've also done in hopes for them to realize that the best way forward is fairness and transparency.

Chris, I sincerely hope you take this into consideration. There's a bigger picture. I say this with nothing to lose. There's plenty of games out there, no offense.

I personally would love to have POE Sniper be whitelisted:

https://github.com/licoffe/POE-sniper

First off:

The sources are public - that means, everyone is able to read them and see what's going on in the codebase - shady things are not possible here, if the community is big enough to read through the code and find these things. I am a coder myself and looked through _some_ parts of it to verify to an extent what it does

Secondly:

The tool is just incredible more useful than poe.trade
Yes, I have 4 monitors.Yes I have plenty of poe.trade tabs open, more so in the beginning of the league because I am not only looking at one item I can afford with the low currency I have, but I am looking for the best chaos to value item I can possibly get.
I currently have more than 20 filters running at the same time.
Even with 4 monitors where I have 4x poe.trades live search open, this is not enough. And that sets aside the fact, that I love to be able to watch a TV Show while having facebook & discord open without having to switch tabs or virtual desktops

Thirdly:

I'd really encourage GGG to make a dedicated post on which tools and third party sites they recommend.
Don't leave it to the community and youtube. You know, that PoE is extremly complex. You know, that ingame guides are not how you can learn everything. You know, that we need the best tools to trade effeciently (and I hereby don't mean snipe!).
You prevent the possibility of sniping by educating players. Give everyone tools at hand to be able to correctly price their items. Sniping will be less of a problem when players do KNOW their game.

Fourthly:

This tool is just incredible useful, the developer put endless hours of work into it and published it for everyone to use - to an extent where his backend crashed several times due to user overload.
He deserves it.
"
Add a longer 5 minute delay.
I'm actually surprised you guys allow all these 3rd party tools in the first place.

Considering GGG is an indie-studio, I think it was a smart move. They didn't have all the capacity required to provide the functionality the player base was asking for.

Secondly, many online games provide APIs to further enhance the player experience and stay more relevant. Riot Games is a good example of this.
Give back API neutrality. How is a small, not popular tool supposed to become popular if no one uses it because it's at an inherent disadvantage? Jesus christ guys, I haven't used a private indexer in my life and I've never felt like at a disadvantage beacuse of that.
IGN: MyOtherRangerDied // DontBeStupidAndDieAgain // GenericSporkerWitch
https://google.com
Last edited by liquidSG on Dec 11, 2017, 5:31:56 PM
"
liquidSG wrote:
I haven't used a private indexer in my life and I've never felt like at a disadvantage beacuse of that.

This is the neutral option. Now everybody gets the same level playing field - the whitelisted websites. Before this happened, people could decide themselves how often and how harshly to use the API, which obviously is a bad idea. Also, just because you've never felt you've been at a disadvantage doesn't mean you never were at a disadvantage. You absolutely were at a pretty massive disadvantage, by the way.

I think it's a little ridiculous people are describing a completely open API as a level playing field. It's not. It's an unregulated playing field involving a limited resource (the available bandwidth). This isn't a good combination. Deregulation isn't the same as giving everyone the same tools and opportunities.
Last edited by killstealing on Dec 11, 2017, 5:40:16 PM
Not really, it hasn't stopped me or anyone else from my guild to generate all the currency for any of the builds we've played and most of us are working or students so we don't have 90% free time to play.
If you weren't able to "succeed" until now, API isn't the thing that was holding you back.
IGN: MyOtherRangerDied // DontBeStupidAndDieAgain // GenericSporkerWitch
https://google.com
"
killstealing wrote:
You absolutely were at a pretty massive disadvantage, by the way.

Apologies for further distracting from the topic at hand, but this really brings home the point to me that I believe trade should be taken back 'in-house'.

I definitely see and value the other positions in this thread, and the positive contributions the third party service providers have had on the game. But if there is a time for maturing the games' 'Quality of Life' instead of continuing to push the boundaries of what the game is supposed to be, I believe it would be a remarkable first step towards the path of 'final polish' to bring trade in-client and kill any advantage given to more savvy players that have been able to capitalize on the games' deficiencies/liabilities and allowed them prey on the 'casual' players for so long.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on Dec 11, 2017, 5:44:19 PM
This is the difference between equal oportunity and equality. Rather than having everyone start on equal footing, you're advocating that we bring everyone down to the same level. Why even have tools if we aren't given the resources to make them in the first place?
First, off people messaged me almost instantly (within 5 sec) of listing an item worth over an ex in the league so sniping is still a thing. I got about 4-5 people message me within a few seconds.

Second, if it's downloadable I think that GGG should have to officially support it.

you guys have your own site why don't you just add it to an in-game tab? it would be so sick for new players like seriously.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info