Trade API Delays

"
killstealing wrote:
You think the sane position is the one espousing the view that a society would do better in every way without regulations or infringements of freedom, such as social rules, expectations, and everything else involving crazy things like 'safety standards' and 'probabilities'.

Less, yes. None, no. The real arguments are always on how much regulation, not whether it should exist or not at all.

Also, PSA: "social rules" and "expectations" are not regulations or even law for that matter.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
Less, yes. None, no. The real arguments are always on how much regulation, not whether it should exist or not at all.

Also, PSA: "social rules" and "expectations" are not regulations or even law for that matter.

That was aimed at the rather vague 'infringements of freedom' they mentioned. Probably a different argument, but I think the social norms in vogue in a specific society or subgroup of that society absolutely shape, steer, and mold members' thoughts, and calling that impeding free thought isn't very weird (whether it's good or bad, both, or neither is another issue imo). Keep in mind they're linking to a source that calls forbidding driving under the influence 'tyranny'.

And while the norms/values of a society might not always be directly codified into law, they absolutely do matter. Justice isn't doled out by algorithms, and laws are still interpreted by people. The letter of the law might not change very often, but it's the interpretation that really matters.
I think giving a trade advantage to people that run third-party executables on their computer is incredibly unfair. What if the creator decides to "cash out" and a bunch of people get malicious code? They will probably blame GGG since they were whitelisted.

Also, it doesn't matter how "fast" it is as long as the delay is equal to everyone and it's a matter of minutes.
GGG should take away the raw data dump of the stash tabs and instead expose a search API that is equal for all parties. Any public site could use the same exposed end points available on the official portal. Then create a method to submit requests for improvements to the search API. The speed problem seems to come from the big sites needing to index 100% of the data where the small indexers skip 99% of things and don't need to store anything in a searchable way. GGG handles the storage and indexing of data, which they do anyway, before anyone can touch it.
"
killstealing wrote:
Keep in mind they're linking to a source that calls forbidding driving under the influence 'tyranny'.

Well, they do have a point, even if most the world (including myself) agrees that DUI/DWI laws are a good thing. The laws surrounding this are still totalitarian, if not tyrannical in nature: because some people hurt themselves and others while driving drunk, punish everyone. Step back for a moment and think about that for a second. Just like so many other things in society over the past several decades, driving while intoxicated has been drilled into our heads as a dangerous threat to our safety and well-being. While most sane people like you and me would agree laws to curb drunk driving are a good thing, we have still have to acknowledge that we've all been conditioned to read, listen, and watch news of those of examples of when drunk driving ends in horrible catastrophe and loss of human life. So the article is a good outside-the-box look at things.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
There should be equal throttling for all. How are tools going to gain popularity if they have an uphill struggle from the start?

You sort of mandate responsibility to the community, how is the community going to handle this? Through what channels / according to what process? Or is that for the community to figure out too?

If such things are not arranged, it sounds a bit like still making the decision yourself while being able to point at the community for the choice. Something like overwhelming feedback out of the blue. I mean, I'd hate that all those people who wanted XP requirement increases to suddenly also decide on who gets what data how fast.

Sniping is targeted thing here, while honestly, if you'd have 1 vehicle that would provide equal opportunity for all this would be fixed already.

Anyway, equality for all.

PS. The .exe download should not be a reason. Javascript has broken the sandbox frequently. Some advertisements on poe.trade were hazardous and did this (and they had to change them). If anything, people need to become a bit more aware on security.

PS2. Whose trust are you talking about? I don't trust the big parties at all. Hell, I even conspire that you somewhere have a financial benefit here.

PS3. I really think you should invest in better ingame trade tools and regulation.

PS4. PoE is the best.

Cheers

Did you try turning it off and on again?
"
killstealing wrote:
You think the sane position is the one espousing the view that a society would do better in every way without regulations or infringements of freedom, such as social rules, expectations, and everything else involving crazy things like 'safety standards' and 'probabilities'. Not just that, but according to you, an anarcho-capitalistic(?) view is the only sane one.

Gee, I wonder. It's almost as if every single example of 1984-esque endless increase of government regulations and control did end in desolation and millions of deaths, while every single example of the opposite (be it extreme ones like Singapore and the more moderate ones like Switzerland compared to the rest of your 'classical' rotting societies like the EU countries) ended (well, not ended, but continues to this day) in prosperity.

Just think about those stuuuupid Switzerland people, IIRC the only country in Europe which had a majority 'NO' vote when they had their own 'universal income™' referendum, who willingly choose the path of minimizing government's involvement in their lives and have all their personal rights (as well as private property) preserved.

You see, I lived most of my life in the USSR - unlike the impressionable millenials who get their brains washed in the oh-so-numerous marxist sects on their college campuses. I know what I'm talking about, I've seen that; the people who so rigorously fight for more regulations do so because they can't connect their own life situation (which doesn't make them satisfied) to their own failures; it's always someone else - most often than not, the whole situation gets painted as 'those who are more successful are most certainly cheating in some ways'. You know what underlies this defense mechanism of their minds? Projecting. Those greedy, low people never actually care about anything or anyone other than themselves; and even when communism wins and they get what they want by killing/sending off to gulags everyone better than them, they still can't achieve anything - and this 'majority FAIRNESS vote' system keeps weeding out the most successful (and, according to those people, the most unfair), until nothing is left.

That's how any regime based on increasing the government powers has crumbled, and that's how every single such regime will keep crumbling in the future. Meanwhile, you are free to meme 'LOL LIBERTARIAN SOMALIA', 'NO ROADS XDDD', 'HAHA YOU WANT LEGALIZED CHILD LABOR' and other things like that when people insist that everyone, including yourself, should be able to choose the road they take willingly and without any oppression - with the only natural law keeping everything nice and fair being the NAP.
Last edited by LaplaceNoMa on Dec 12, 2017, 5:40:12 PM
"
LaplaceNoMa wrote:
... unlike the impressionable millenials who get their brains washed in the oh-so-numerous marxist sects on their college campuses. I know what I'm talking about, I've seen that; the people who so rigorously fight for more regulations do so because they can't connect their own life situation (which doesn't make them satisfied) to their own failures; it's always someone else - most often than not, the whole situation gets painted as 'those who are more successful are most certainly cheating in some ways'. You know what underlies this defense mechanism of their minds? Projecting. Those greedy, low people never actually care about anything or anyone other than themselves; and even when communism wins and they get what they want by killing/sending off to gulags everyone better than them, they still can't achieve anything - and this 'majority FAIRNESS vote' system keeps weeding out the most successful (and, according to those people, the most unfair), until nothing is left.

Well spoken.

The misconception that successful people are greedy or uncaring is a big problem in large parts of the society. Especially in free-to-play games, and on reddit :3
Last edited by thezensei on Dec 12, 2017, 6:29:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info