What I know on how to manage elder & shaper presence (updated 12/14/17)

Disclaimer
Spoiler
This information i written down below "maybe" true until we have some confirmation from GGG.
These steps can help steer the elder influence to the maps of your choice (low-high tiers and map preferences). The strategies can be use for keeping an elder influence in a specific part for your atlas to farm gear or to farm the actual guardians + elder. This is my experience in standard league with 119/157 atlas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miscellaneous information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> What makes a shaper or elder influenced/presence maps :
- cloud with stars : shaper
- tendrils in the background : elder

>> You can unshape a map and get your shaper orb back from zana

>> Strengthening the elder can take over maps without your intervention.

Is there a limit to an elder presence this? yes, I believe I broke the atlas. Elder influence is 35-38 maps Could be a new bug and it's not an isolated incident
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2042773

What I/We know so far

1) When will the shaper start showing up in atlas?
- Start talking to zana and begin the quest to complete maps where the shaper has his power over the atlas.

2) Okay...I just cleared several shaper maps, what next?
Spoiler
An elder appears.

3) What happens If I complete a map with a shaper presence with a neighbouring elder map or the other way around?
Spoiler
It depends how you approach, if you cleared an elder influenced map, it will turned into a shaper influenced map and Vice-versa. Elder and shaper influence needs to be adjacent to one another. Boss kill required of course. Here's a before an after

(hey look a bunny!)

4) What about shaper orbs? where do I start?
Spoiler
- They begin as soon you talk to zana in the templar's laboratory in AC 10. You'll collect your first shaper orb or AKA fragmented memory #1 in an elder influence tier 6 map. You defeat the map bosses in the respective area, collect the fragment to be turned in to zana. You can get higher tier orbs in higher tier maps respectively, and it will take time. Here's an example of the reward:

Unavailable

"are you sane exile?"

5) Elder or shaper influence has increased in size, what are the risks?
Spoiler
You can lose SIGNIFICANT progression if you decide to run a shaper/elder map with no extra pathways. GGG cleverly design the atlas to encourage expansion elder presence (which is better). Pay attention the MANY chokepoints in the atlas, it's at risk for switching sides if has an influence nearby. plan your fights carefully if you are shaping/tailoring the atlas.

*This is tough to manage if you go beyond the 20+ elder influence maps

The minotaur quadrant or south west

6) War for the atlas can still rage on without precise planning
Spoiler
Shaper/elder influenced maps will automatically change or shift by themselves if you complete maps that are not "connected".

Spoiler
- Running unique maps (yes i know it's sad, that's my observation at this point, GGG please fix)
- Running old pre 3.0 maps ex: (T13/T9 gorges)
- Completing maps that are outside the influence of shaper or elder
- Defeating elder guardians within the inefected areas of the atlas, once you complete a map. The shaper will take over one of the maps...keep this in mind.

7) Why fight, can they get along?
Spoiler
- Come on now guys, THIS IS Loot we're talking about

8) Is there extra danger while running shaper or elder influenced maps?

Spoiler
Shaper maps:

Spoiler
- Missile guided Ice balls will form vortexes
- Agent of the void will spawn at random
- Shaper clone randomly spawns in a map and toss energy ball beams at you (rip afk)

elder maps:

Spoiler
- Null portals, unique portals that spawn mobs (extra loot bro!)
- Tentacle/octopi mobs spawn at random and becomes part of the pack
- Ghostly tentacles will spawn at random and will groundslam, and they can hurt if u dont watch 'em

9) What about Unique maps, what is their role?
Spoiler
Nothing, unique can't be influenced sadly.

10) HUH what about the elder guardians or elder? When will they spawn?
Spoiler
Spoiler
When you have approximately 19-20 elder influenced maps and explore a large portion of the atlas. It will come up like this. So keep busy on beating the shaper down to his misery post haste!]

*notice the shaper influence around the elder

12) Will the guardians and elder disappear?!*IMPORTANT*!
Spoiler
I dont believe so, as soon you activate them, they will remain in the atlas until you complete the areas

- If you can manage to spawn an elder map "occupied by an elder" in a section of your atlas...his influence will infect the adjacent maps. Now imagine having the guardians and elder guardians "occupying" in the red tier maps..you practically hit the jackpot in terms in farming your ilvl items. It's just a theory.

11) Elder guardians or elder, kill order list?
Spoiler
- Similar to shaper like 3.0 patch, defeat the elder guardians first then the elder

12) What happens if I defeat an elder guardians and elder within area?
Spoiler
Spoiler
The elder is significantly weakened after his defeat and the shaper will push back to reclaim his atlas, dont be surprised if he takes over your maps. (I was not prepared) You will lose your hard earn progress DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Before the 1st elder fight

After :O You're pretty much back to square one the shaper's presence will dissipate over time.

13) How can i minimize shaper's influence or elders?
Spoiler
Just complete the maps to have the elder or shaper to take hold. (remember choke points!)

14) Running a map but not killing the map boss, does it change the presence for shaper/elder?
Spoiler
- Yes it works! You can run your old maps..just skip the boss.

15) Any other tricks or tips?
Spoiler
You can keep your shaper/elder presence even after you use cartographer's seal, this is the new shaping meta ladies and gents. It's gonna cost you every penny, and there's a high risk of losing shaper/elder presence. I confirmed these cartographer's seal method with GGG staff
example

16) I killed the elder....is there a reset button?
Spoiler
Yes sorta, pick a new shaper influenced map and complete it. The elder will appear after you weakened the shaper in the atlas. Dont lose hope! you'll get better at this
My new atlas step by step
https://imgur.com/a/LBNIm

17) Elder respawn locations, what gives?
Spoiler
- When completing an elder encounter, of course the infected maps will transition to the shaper. In your atlas, happen to view a lone shaper influence on a map. It's a possibility by clearing the map can spawn the elder.
https://imgur.com/a/LBNIm

- Clearing a multiple shaper maps within the area can spawn an elder to a different location with no shaper presence.

18) Can I shape or unshape a map that a guardian/elder has occupied?
Spoiler
Yes

19) Can I run an regular map on an occupied guardian/elder shaped map?
Spoiler

yes you can trigger the boss, but it will not complete the map. The tier must be exactly the same..if that's an issue. You can unshape it

20) Dang, I found out my character can't complete the elder/guardian boss. Can I switch to my boss killer to finish them?
Spoiler
I wouldn't recommend it, because if you switch characters it will not complete the encounter.
But you can invite a trusted online player to defeat the boss.

Or before entering the arena/activating the boss, you can switch to your boss killer character to finish the job and still get the completion

If anyone has tips or tricks. Feel free to share
Last edited by Molochmane on Dec 14, 2017, 6:04:38 PM
Last bumped on Apr 18, 2018, 12:38:41 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
space

Last edited by Molochmane on Dec 13, 2017, 12:58:54 AM
Good info.
Good info. One correction ; you don't need a T11 shaper orb. I got elder to appear with just T1-3 orbs.
"
Tsupa wrote:
Good info. One correction ; you don't need a T11 shaper orb. I got elder to appear with just T1-3 orbs.

Hmm, interesting. I'll update the post.
Could you explain more what you mean with your Point # 5?

What is a belfly map?

I also got an elder spawn in a T7 map and only was up to shaper orb T6.
Wasn´t able to find him there, though.
"
IamLoco wrote:
Could you explain more what you mean with your Point # 5?

What is a belfly map?

I also got an elder spawn in a T7 map and only was up to shaper orb T6.
Wasn´t able to find him there, though.

it's a typo. I meant belfry
So you can only get shaper orbs from elder controlled maps?
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
"
TheAshmaker wrote:

That's my conclusion so far, i was able to get a t13 and t14 orb respectively.
"
Molochmane wrote:
"
TheAshmaker wrote:

That's my conclusion so far, i was able to get a t13 and t14 orb respectively.

Very interesting! Thanks man.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info