[3.2] Update! Habk's Wander Champion: >2m ethical Shaper DPS, 6k HP + Fortify, tanky and fast

Hi all,

This build was initially heavily inspired by Toma_Hawk's "Queenliness Wanderfinder" build over at the ranger subsection (see https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1764075), however it has evolved into something new and independent over time. Although the Queenliness build is great, it feels far from being tanky to me. If you are looking for a more robust (perhaps even hardcore-viable) alternative, you've come to the right place :)

The main reason I'm choosing Champion over the (vastly) more popular Pathfinder, Deadeye and Raider classes is its incredible tankyness, with a consistent 26% reduced damage taken, immunity to stuns, and some bonuses to armor and evasion on top. While the Ranger versions are all nice, I died to random one shots, Volatiles, becoming stun-locked, mistakes while playing etc. way too often for my taste. Moreover, since these builds tend to have 5k to 6k HP at best, they feel quite squishy, with the health globe plummeting to dangerously low levels frequently.

In terms of offense, Champion is not too shabby either, with the ascendancy node "Worthy Foe" giving 20% increased damage taken by enemies, and a 100% chance to hit after the first hit. Finally, although flasks are awesome, I like that this build does not rely as heavily on them (e.g. as compared to the Queenliness build).

So here comes the build:

POB-codes:
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/ANNHT7p7 (my usual setup - 2.15m DPS)

https://pastebin.com/F0bCfU5j (my setup with Vaal Haste + Blood Rage + Projectile Weakness + Power Charges - 3.28m DPS)

https://pastebin.com/GEy41wJ6 (my gear but with the best mirror wand, with Vaal Haste + Blood Rage + Projectile Weakness + Power Charges - 4.4m DPS)

Main Stats (lvl 97):
Spoiler
-2.15 million Shaper dps with just Dying Sun + Silver Flask + Diamond Flask, 5m+ possible with mirror tier gear (wand in particular), Vaal Haste + Blood Rage + Projectile Weakness + Power Charges from weapon swap

-6k HP with 26% reduced damage taken due to permanent Fortify and Champion's "Conqueror" ascendancy node - giving an effective HP pool of over 8000(!)

-Immunity to stuns
-40% Dodge chance
-46% Spell Dodge chance
-44% Evade chance (with flasks up)
-2.2k Armor
-162% Movement Speed (with flasks up)

Tree:

Ascendancy Points:
Spoiler
Unstoppable Hero -> Fortitude -> Conqueror -> Worthy Foe

Current Gear:
Spoiler

Flasks:
Spoiler

Gear Swap:
Spoiler

Jewels:
Spoiler

To be added.

Detailed Gear Discussion and Alternatives by Slot:
Spoiler

To be added.

Gem Setup:
Spoiler
Single Target (in Body Armour): Barrage > Elemental Damage with Attacks > Elemental Focus > Lightning Penetration > Added Lightning Damage > Slower Projectiles (in order of priority - drop Slower Projectiles with a 5l)

Pack Clearing (in boots or helmet): Kinetic Blast > Greater Multiple Projectiles > Elemental Damage with Attacks > Pierce

Charge Generation (in boots or helmet): Assassin's Mark > Curse on Hit > Herald of Ice > Onslaught

Auras (in wand or shield): Wrath > Empower > Enlighten

Defense (in wand or shield): Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 7) > Immortal Call (lvl 1) > Enfeeble (lvl 10)

Golem + Utility (in gloves): Summon Ice Golem; your choice (Phase Run, Vaal Haste, Vaal Grace, Blood Rage, Decoy Totem, etc. I like Phase Run for the occasional backtracking phases where I run out of flasks)

For the maximally offensive setup with Vaal Haste + Blood Rage + Projectile Weakness, you may change Enfeeble for Vaal Haste (requires recoloring), socket e.g. Blood Rage in your gloves, and swap the Onslaught support for Projectile Weakness.

Bandits:
Spoiler
Alira. In my opinion, choosing Alira is typically better than taking the two skill points from Eramir (Kraityn and Oak are bad). Choosing Alira makes capping resists much easier, and the bonus to crit multiplier is almost as good as two skill points on their own. Even if the two skill points might be better in some rare occasions, the difference will be quite negligible.

Pantheon:
Spoiler
Major God: Lunaris for mapping; potentially Solaris for tough bosses without adds. I usually stick to Lunaris. Do not forget to unlock the additional bonuses!

Minor God: I like Garukhan for the increased movement speed (after unlocking). Tukohama, Gruthkul and Ralakesh are more defensive options.

I appreciate any feedback and will try to answer your questions! Have fun :)
Last edited by habkor on May 16, 2018, 2:05:21 PM
Last bumped on Jul 30, 2018, 7:25:08 AM
Reserved.
I've been looking at starting a wander, and your build seems quite a bit more survivable then the ranger Deadeye one. How are the frenzy charges, are they easy to keep up?
Last edited by animalhouse on Nov 23, 2017, 11:09:53 AM
Yeah, I think this is probably one of the tankiest wander variants around (if you disregard old CI builds with 10k ES that got destroyed in 3.0).

At my level of gear, sustaining frenzy charges is extremely easy while mapping. Basically, you will very often be on full charges (after every big pack). However, it is important to note that the frenzy charges cannot be sustained at bosses, so Raider trumps in that respect.

One more thing I should have mentioned in the build description: Using the suggested belt grants permanent Onslaught, which provides a very nice bonus to attack and movement speed.
Do you have any video to show the speed of this build ?
Do you think it will still be viable after Vaal Pact change ?
Thanks
"
okami29 wrote:
Do you have any video to show the speed of this build ?
Do you think it will still be viable after Vaal Pact change ?
Thanks

I'm currently a bit busy unfortunately, but I will try to record a video at the beginning of 3.1 (on Standard, that is).

Regarding the Vaal Pact change, I don't think that this build will suffer more than other builds, but I still have to test that properly of course. With the reflect rework, I think having no Vaal Pact shouldn't be an issue in normal play (but might be worrisome for Shaper and Guardians).
As far as we know, Reflect won't be any issue for any build (except the slow and weak one's).

You should be fine without the instant leech, i really like the new Vaal Pact which will still be really good (also can be modified by leech modifier's found on tree and gear).

I really like that Onslaught belt thingy :3

"
Toma_Hawk wrote:
As far as we know, Reflect won't be any issue for any build (except the slow and weak one's).

You should be fine without the instant leech, i really like the new Vaal Pact which will still be really good (also can be modified by leech modifier's found on tree and gear).

I really like that Onslaught belt thingy :3

Yeah, I'm really curious how the build will perform with the new Vaal Pact, looks like a decent change to me.

The belt is a nice perk when playing a Champion wander, however the new socketable belts that will be introduced with 3.1 might easily outperform that.

In case you want to have another look at the build, are there any updates for a 10-20 Ex budget that seem feasible to you? As the wander expert that you are, I'd really appreciate any feedback :)
Hey there!

I don't know about your mana pool, but might wanna try to link wrath with empower?

Uhm.. i'd work slowly towards dropping the shield for a rare with more life, evasion etc.

Which requires accu. on gear of course.

Or better jewel's with dmg. affixes

Wander's are currency sinks but worth every damn exalt!

cost me 4 ex
as an example.
"
Toma_Hawk wrote:
Hey there!

I don't know about your mana pool, but might wanna try to link wrath with empower?

Uhm.. i'd work slowly towards dropping the shield for a rare with more life, evasion etc.

Which requires accu. on gear of course.

Or better jewel's with dmg. affixes

Wander's are currency sinks but worth every damn exalt!

cost me 4 ex
as an example.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Actually, I've toyed around quite a bit with POB to see whether a rare shield could outperform my current version. My approach is like this: I plug in a decent shield (say, with 100+ life, resists, and 350+ accuracy), add some more accuracy on my current gear (which I'd hope to upgrade), and modify the tree accordingly. If I can achieve a higher DPS with the same amount of life and movement speed (after the tree changes - e.g., getting rid of some life nodes and replacing them for damage), it is really an upgrade. However, so far I have not been able to make the upgrade worthwhile, even with 1000 additional accuracy.

So perhaps I'm missing something, but Lycosidae seems to outperform all (somewhat realistic) rare shields when adjusting the tree properly. The only real advantage of a rare shield seems to be additional safety versus reflect, but with the upcoming reflect changes, I guess this will no longer be an issue. So I'm still somewhat skeptical about going that route...

Better jewels are definitely worthwhile to get, however most decent 4 stat jewels are out of my price range currently (as a rather casual player).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info