[3.1] HC/SC Shockwave totem over - 300+DPS each totem Great for Starter

"
tomay wrote:
IF I would use unique boots with this build then my first choice would be Mutewind Whispersteps... 30-50 flat cold damage added to spells does more than a few percent increased damage, even with the effectiveness penalty on added damage with Shockwave Totem (60%).

I don't know what penalty you talked but this "few percent" is excactly 39% from boots + 35% from Flame's Advance passive from tree. Do you think it's less then flat cold dmg from Mutewind Whispersteps?
Ok - flat dmg will be probably much better on trash mobs but it's so necessary for us? We run throug trash like knife in the butter so imo much important are rare monsters and bosses and in this case flat cold dmg is far behind ignited bonus i think but maybe i'm wrong, unfortunately it's only my theory, don't tested it yet :)
"
Gzy wrote:
I don't know what penalty you talked

This penalty:

It's all in the small print. ;)

This means, of any added damage Shockwave Totem will only use 60%, in the case of Mutewind Whispersteps it will be only 24 flat cold damage on average effectively. While this seems rather low on paper it is, however, roughly the equivalent of the damage SWT gains from lvl 19 to lvl 20.

"
Gzy wrote:
this "few percent" is excactly 39% from boots + 35% from Flame's Advance passive from tree. Do you think it's less then flat cold dmg from Mutewind Whispersteps?

The 35% from the Ngamahu ascendancy I get anyway since my Lighning Golem can now ignite, thanks to the new Abyssal jewels... again, the cast speed bonus from Lighting golem does far more for our DPS then the 20% increased damage from Flame Golem.

"
Gzy wrote:
Ok - flat dmg will be probably much better on trash mobs but it's so necessary for us? We run throug trash like knife in the butter so imo much important are rare monsters and bosses and in this case flat cold dmg is far behind ignited bonus i think but maybe i'm wrong, unfortunately it's only my theory, don't tested it yet :)

As a rule of thumb, flat damage and more/extra damage modifiers usually trump increased damage modifiers. In our case we benefit from physical, fire, and cold damage added to spells modifiers but mostly from added cold damage since it gets a massive boost from the Cold to Fire support gem.

To give you an example, I gain more than 1.6k DPS (unbuffed in HO) per totem from this jewel, which adds 35 flat damage on average to spells (effectively 21 after the penalty on SWT):

OTH I get 30 lightning damage added on average from my current boot chant:

While it's 60 on average, Avatar removes half of it so I'm left with 30 flat, after the effectveness penalty this will be 18. Not that much of a difference to the 21 from the jewel one would think but I'm gaining only 600 tooltip DPS. This should give you an idea as to how much we benefit from added cold damage.

And here's a video explaining the difference between more and increased damage in PoE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvlDQs-e_B0
Last edited by tomay on Dec 22, 2017, 11:00:46 AM
The best possible Gloves "enchant" for this build:

Totem cast time is down to 0.27 sec without Onslaught. Could be even less if I hadn't decided to get Oak's 20% incr phys damage, life regeneration and phys damage reduction rather than Kraytin's cast and movement speed.

Also got my Xoph's Blood now, it does make a huge difference really. All I need now is that elusive penetration enchant on my boots.
On the topic of getting ignites from other golems than Flame Golem... while we normally want Hypnotic Eye jewels (for "cold/fire/physical damage added to spells", Penetration, and Cast Speed), for this we need a Ghastly Eye jewel. It's the only jewel type that can have "Minions deal xx additional Fire Damage". Ghastly Eye can have some other useful goodies as well, such as flat life, attributes (if you need dexterity), up to 4% cast speed; but the best modifier to look out for (besides 40+ life of course) would be "10% increased cast speed if a Minion has been killed recently" because we can "kill" our golem at will. Just re-summon your golem and gain a big damage boost for 8 seconds, almost 2k DPS (unbuffed) per totem in my case... not too shabby for a single mod. ;)
Last edited by tomay on Dec 28, 2017, 6:14:00 AM
The new Watcher's Eye jewel (with Hatred mod) should be added to the "recommended Uniques" list."(4-6)% increased maximum Life" and "Adds (58-70) to (88-104) Cold Damage while affected by Hatred"... what's not to like? ;)

Goes for 1 ex at the moment.
"
tomay wrote:
IF I would use unique boots with this build then my first choice would be Mutewind Whispersteps...

Correction, the best Unique Boots for us would be Bubonic Trail, preferably with two Abyssal Sockets (but you'd want to be filthy rich, the cheapest two-socket BT on offer costs 22 Exalted Orb ;).

While we are not likely to equip any Murderous Eye or Searching Eye jewels, we'd still get 20% increased damage (if we add at least one Ghastly Eye jewel). On top of that we can get up to 100 flat life and lots of juicy damage modifiers from the two additional jewels. But even with only one Abyssal Socket BT will be better than Mutewind Whispers or Gang's Momentum... and they are quite affordable.

30% increased Movement Speed and 6% increased Maximum Life round up an excellent package.

Death Walk, however, does nothing for us since we have Ancestral Bond.
Last edited by tomay on Dec 28, 2017, 9:29:51 AM
"
Kursed_one wrote:
300+DPS each totem

I still fail to see how you can possibly get 300+ DPS per totem.

Without Conc Effect I'm getting 75k, lvl 21 SWT fully buffed with Hatred, Golem, Onslaught, Chalive, and Elemental Overload. I cannot imagine Conc Effect and Penetration boosting this beyond 300k... unless I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here.

300k from all totems maybe but per totem?
Just converted my RF zerk to this build and while its fun it's certainly not a good league starter or for newer players. The main problem with the build is the lack of mobility combined with its glassy nature. Rolling that color combination on the Cauteriser so we can fit in a Kaom's Heart for survivability is going to be super expensive. In fact there's not even one on poe trade.

The pob build is misleading because without flammability your taking a significant loss in damage. Adding fire penetration to the 6 link is unfortunately another major loss in damage. I even tried to make a 5 link work with the new elder helmets to fit in a koam's heart and the damage was not cutting it for the higher tier maps. I am doing decent damage if I get rid of inc Aoe and replace it with faster casting but that lowers our survivability even further.

My gear is NOT fully optimized for this build so I am sure there are ways to make it work but as for OP saying this build is a great starter build well that is... As a "starter" if I wanted to play totems why would I play this build when I can play zerk warchief facebreaker and have similar clear speed, better survivability, totems that taunt ( with the new abyss gems), more damage without the reliance on a curse, more mobility, and for maybe a quarter of what it cost to make this build?
Last edited by P1at0 on Dec 28, 2017, 12:46:14 PM
"
P1at0 wrote:
I can play zerk warchief facebreaker and have similar clear speed, better survivability, totems that taunt ( with the new abyss gems)

Hmm, I've seen "chance to taunt" for minions on the new abby jewels... but totems are not minons. You sure about that???

"
P1at0 wrote:
The main problem with the build is the lack of mobility combined with its glassy nature

My advice: switch to shield and sceptre as soon as you can afford it. Shield Charge solves the mobility issues.

As for the "glassy nature" of the build, you'll get much better defenses with a shield (a good and affordable choice would be Ahn's Heritage with 2 x Fragility) than with a two-handed weapon such as The Cauterizer. With Doryani's Catalyst and permanent Onslaught (from Ahn's) the damage output is slightly higher as well. And that combo isn't too expensive.

The Cauterizer is a decent choice at lvl 40 but as soon as you get into maps you better get rid of it (Ahn's requires lvl 67).
Last edited by tomay on Dec 29, 2017, 8:28:04 AM
hmm, this or crit inquisitor, so many variations,

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info