ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

"
Kamchatka wrote:
It does Not matter to me personally. They can do whatever they want.

The original point the other guy made was that (1)republicans are religious and Freely give to charity and oppose forced charity.

I'm just stating (2)That not all tithing is voluntary and charitable. Some tithng by some religious groups is forced, not voluntary.

(3) And obviously I understand you can quit going to that church, I know it is not forced on pain of death. But it is forced, by some religious groups, with punishment or banishment.

To summarize: my point is (4)you cannot count all religious tithing as voluntary charity.

Gotcha. This is actually very simple.

(1)The original statement is a generalization. I do not know how accurate the claim is about Republicans (as Democrats are equally capable of being Christian, or religious otherwise), but traditionally the right does tend to believe that welfare is a personal obligation, whereas the left tends to believe it is the state’s obligation. Also (opinion), religious organizations have been much more effective at distributing charity than government organizations have. By a lot. Pointing out specific outliers (if we assume your outlier is true) does not contradict the generalization, as it is a trend, not a rule.

(2)It is a condition for voluntary membership to the church, much like there are conditions for voluntary membership to a gym. You are confusing forced with enforced, and concluding that this is mutually exclusive to being voluntary.

(3)This does not appear to be the case at all. Nonpaying members are typically the beneficiaries of the church’s charity, and the church in this case has financial incentive to return those beneficiaries to a state of self sustainability. If that is the goal, then no church is going to kick somebody out because they fell on hard times, that’d be in direct contradiction to the church’s self interest—which again, is to develop and maintain a self sustaining community.

In the case of the Mormons specifically, nonpaying members lose access to the temple. For this to make sense, you would have to understand what the temple is. Salient to this conversation is what the temple is not, and it is not the church. This is more analogous to a free-to-play game with VIP subscription benefits than it is to excommunication as you seem to believe.

(4)And this is it. Tithing is not charity. It is a membership due that covers the operational expenses of the religious organization, which includes that organization’s charitable pursuits. When applicable, tithes are tax deductible not because they are charitable, but because the church is a 501c3, a type of non profit organization that also includes charity, not-for-profit education and science, as well as others. In other words, when applicable, tithes are tax deductible because the government does not want to be beholden to the church’s lobbying, something the church is prohibited from because they are not taxed and do not receive subsidies through taxation. Separation of church and state and all.

Just to reiterate, because this is the big one, you cannot call tithing charity at all, because that’s not what it is.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
Kamchatka wrote:
Even if you don't want to call it coerced, You certainly cannot call mormon tithing voluntary charity.
Being a Mormon is voluntary.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:
Even if you don't want to call it coerced, You certainly cannot call mormon tithing voluntary charity.

I can assure you that many faiths aren't voluntary. You get brainwashed as a young kid that all that crap is true and if you happen to go against it, you are chastised from the community and treated as a pariah.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Looks like Trump is invincible, even at the ripe old age. Trump quite literally has the media in the palm of his hands. He sends the White House doctor, who's supremely credentialed, to tell the media he's very healthy, and aced the cognitive exam. They're like b....bu....but! Diet Coke! Cheeseburgers! What about the word he slurred the other day! LMFAO! Perfectly reasonable, non-partisan people see this kinda stuff, and know the media are hacks.

And then in comes the fake news awards shortly afterwards, LOL.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/17/president-trump-reveals-winners-his-fake-news-awards.html

"

Below is the full list of winners of the 2017 Fake News Awards.

1) The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claiming markets would ‘never’ recover from Trump presidency

2) ABC News' Brian Ross’ bungled report on former national security adviser Michael Flynn

3) CNN report that the Trump campaign had early access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks

4) TIME report that Trump removed a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr. from the Oval Office

5) The Washington Post’s Dave Weigel tweeting that Trump’s December rally in Pensacola, Florida, wasn’t packed with supporters

6) CNN’s video suggesting Trump overfed fish during visit with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe

7) CNN’s retracted report claiming Anthony Scaramucci-Russia ties

8) Newsweek report that Polish First Lady Agata Kornhauser-Duda did not shake Trump’s hand

9) CNN report that former FBI Director James Comey would dispute President Trump’s claim he was told he was not under investigation

10) The New York Times report that the Trump administration had hidden a climate-change study

11) In Trump’s words, "‘RUSSIA COLLUSION!’ Russian collusion is perhaps the greatest hoax perpetrated on the American people. THERE IS NO COLLUSION!”

Trump is owning them.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jan 17, 2018, 10:00:36 PM
"
faerwin wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:
I can assure you that many faiths aren't voluntary. You get brainwashed as a young kid that all that crap is true and if you happen to go against it, you are chastised from the community and treated as a pariah.
Are you implying that white supremacy can be involuntary?

I've got a better idea: people are responsible for what they believe.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
no, white supremacy isn't the same as a religious belief. There's no god in the sky that grants you immortality after death or eternal damnation if you don't believe in him. And also, if you get brainwashed to the point where you are unable to decide of your own actions, you stop being responsible for them. You are essentially mentally insane.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term brainwashed but rather, indoctrinated.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:
It does Not matter to me personally. They can do whatever they want.

The original point the other guy made was that (1)republicans are religious and Freely give to charity and oppose forced charity.

I'm just stating (2)That not all tithing is voluntary and charitable. Some tithng by some religious groups is forced, not voluntary.

(3) And obviously I understand you can quit going to that church, I know it is not forced on pain of death. But it is forced, by some religious groups, with punishment or banishment.

To summarize: my point is (4)you cannot count all religious tithing as voluntary charity.

Gotcha. This is actually very simple.

(1)The original statement is a generalization. I do not know how accurate the claim is about Republicans (as Democrats are equally capable of being Christian, or religious otherwise), but traditionally the right does tend to believe that welfare is a personal obligation, whereas the left tends to believe it is the state’s obligation. Also (opinion), religious organizations have been much more effective at distributing charity than government organizations have. By a lot. Pointing out specific outliers (if we assume your outlier is true) does not contradict the generalization, as it is a trend, not a rule.

(2)It is a condition for voluntary membership to the church, much like there are conditions for voluntary membership to a gym. You are confusing forced with enforced, and concluding that this is mutually exclusive to being voluntary.

(3)This does not appear to be the case at all. Nonpaying members are typically the beneficiaries of the church’s charity, and the church in this case has financial incentive to return those beneficiaries to a state of self sustainability. If that is the goal, then no church is going to kick somebody out because they fell on hard times, that’d be in direct contradiction to the church’s self interest—which again, is to develop and maintain a self sustaining community.

In the case of the Mormons specifically, nonpaying members lose access to the temple. For this to make sense, you would have to understand what the temple is. Salient to this conversation is what the temple is not, and it is not the church. This is more analogous to a free-to-play game with VIP subscription benefits than it is to excommunication as you seem to believe.

(4)And this is it. Tithing is not charity. It is a membership due that covers the operational expenses of the religious organization, which includes that organization’s charitable pursuits. When applicable, tithes are tax deductible not because they are charitable, but because the church is a 501c3, a type of non profit organization that also includes charity, not-for-profit education and science, as well as others. In other words, when applicable, tithes are tax deductible because the government does not want to be beholden to the church’s lobbying, something the church is prohibited from because they are not taxed and do not receive subsidies through taxation. Separation of church and state and all.

Just to reiterate, because this is the big one, you cannot call tithing charity at all, because that’s not what it is.

Well it seems like we mostly agree with each other.

The problem I had was with the guy who originally brought this up and linked to a website that had a graph that showed charity based on tax deductions. That is inaccurate since, as you have properly pointed out, tithing is not charity.

I was pointing out that some religions have mandatory(or coerced) tithing. Obviously i do not know much about mormons, if you say they have a "F2P option", and a "full access option" for people who tithe, then we can call that coerced, not mandatory.

But clearly some protestant groups DO kick you out if you dont tithe. THAT is mandatory.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:

Yeah, if you are an atheist or agnostic. If you have faith in whatever it is mormons teach, it is not voluntary at that point.
"
faerwin wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:

So brainwashing is equivalent to being chained and physically forced to remain in the organization? Since when? As far as I can tell, people have the ability to get up and walk out anytime they wish to do so. It's the same as turning off the television. You're telling me that the television set is forcing you to sit there and watch? lol

People are exercising their free will by sitting there and allowing themselves to be brainwashed. They can 'turn off the television' any time they choose.

"
Kamchatka wrote:

Yeah, if you are an atheist or agnostic. If you have faith in whatever it is mormons teach, it is not voluntary at that point.

Read above statement. Anyone can get up, pack their shit, and move to another church at any point of their choosing. My folks grew up in the church and left the church because of some very unsavory practices. You have the free will to attend or not attend any religious venue. Nobody is chaining anyone down and threatening them with bodily harm. If they are, that's a much different story and has nothing to do with tithing.

And back on subject...

"Trump amplified this stance Thursday in back-to-back tweets that called the North American Free Trade Agreement “a bad joke” and asserted that reworked trade deals with Mexico would somehow pay for the wall “directly or indirectly.”

“The Wall is the Wall, it has never changed or evolved from the first day I conceived of it. Parts will be, of necessity, see through and it was never intended to be built in areas where there is natural protection such as mountains, wastelands or tough rivers or water,” Trump wrote.

“The Wall will be paid for, directly or indirectly, or through longer term reimbursement, by Mexico, which has a ridiculous $71 billion dollar trade surplus with the U.S.,” Trump continued. “The $20 billion dollar Wall is “peanuts” compared to what Mexico makes from the U.S. NAFTA is a bad joke!”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/kelly-calls-some-of-trumps-campaign-pledges-on-immigration-and-wall-uninformed-meeting-attendees-say/2018/01/17/3e2524bc-fb86-11e7-a46b-a3614530bd87_story.html?utm_term=.51a9f392ffd6

So, the plan is to get the money for the wall out of NAFTA?...Why not just end NAFTA and build the wall with the money we save instead?
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
Last edited by JNF on Jan 18, 2018, 12:48:42 PM
Brain washing is actually worse than chains. It's mental chains of which you aren't even aware of. And no, you certainly aren't exercising free will by being brain washed, you are just an idiot for even suggesting that and I'm done talking to you. You aren't worth the time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info