I thought RPGs were about killing monsters and finding loot?

"
Whoever proposed the density nerf needs to be fired.

It's GGG's simplest solution to reduce server simulation overload and thus server latency which in turn is the cause of most fps drops/crashes. If the server can't run through all mob damage calculations and everything else in <= 16.67 ms (1000/60) then our frame rate drops. So reduce total server side calculations per iteration by reducing mob pack size and the server has less to calculate. Easy for devs. Sucks for players. Also has the side benefit from devs viewpoint but not the players that with fewer mobs to kill the xp/hour goes down and thus the race to 100 is slowed. Win-win for the devs but lose-lose for players.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Nephalim wrote:
Did the removal/berf of most chase uniques and lowered mob density negatively affect your enjoyment of the game?

Not at all. I'm in the same boat as The Ruler and many others; this talk of mob density and high level stuff is so far beyond the gaming reality I'm in. For Harbinger, I have one goal; reach act 10 and kill Kitava, deathless. After 12 tries I'm still not there. A level 68 witch - died in merciless labyrinth-
is my best try sofar. But I still enjoy the game, absolutely.
Last edited by EldorLoreseeker on Oct 10, 2017, 11:27:04 AM
"
vio wrote:
"
Whoever proposed the density nerf needs to be fired.

the alternative would have been to lower xp gain from mobs, nerf droprates and triple the required souls on vaal skills.

which solution would have had less side effects and needed less work?

and the most important question being: which other solution would have saved them cpu time, decreased server costs and stabilised servers at the same time?

The better solution is to turn of these god awful gore effects from belly of the beast, reduce particle generation of skills, and give us more sliders for graphical control.

I would gladly pay 100 dollars for the ability to turn off gore effects, herald of ice nova's, ground effects and so forth.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Oct 10, 2017, 11:35:09 AM
The loot in this game has always been kind of fucky.

There is no B+ items in the game. You have like 5 A+ items and 100s of C,D,F type items. There needs to be more interesting and cool uniques that are less rare than headhunter/skyforth but more rare than a shav's. That would give people a tangible grind.

Right now grinding for HH is a full time job. Shav's maybe a week if your slow. There is no mid-tier plus. That is a big issue since it turns off 95% of the community from the game after level 70.

Div card grinds are so fucking lame.

On density, I think they should rework chisels to add monsters rather than item quantity. That way you dont' have to be a slave to sextants to make the game feel decent. Also it would bring some value back to chisels which i haven't even used at all in the current xpac.
Last edited by Prizy on Oct 10, 2017, 12:23:48 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:
Did the removal/berf of most chase uniques and lowered mob density negatively affect your enjoyment of the game?

Nope, not one bit. In fact, the lowered mob density in strand... meh, still fine with me.

Of course my opinion is as such because I don't do meta builds, speed runs, etc.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
The loot in this game has always been kind of fucky.

There is no B+ items in the game. You have like 5 A+ items and 100s of C,D,F type items. There needs to be more interesting and cool uniques that are less rare than headhunter/skyforth but more rare than a shav's. That would give people a tangible grind.

Right now grinding for HH is a full time job. Shav's maybe a week if your slow. There is no mid-tier plus. That is a big issue since it turns off 95% of the community from the game after level 70.

Div card grinds are so fucking lame.

On density, I think they should rework chisels to add monsters rather than item quantity. That way you dont' have to be a slave to sextants to make the game feel decent. Also it would bring some value back to chisels which i haven't even used at all in the current xpac.

Shavs is a C item? You find Shavs weekly? I play 0-2h a day and do red maps easily, never found a shavs, or HH or sky or any A+ (or by your definition, C-and-up) items. and if Shavs is a C, I've only found maybe 1-2 C's and all D/F's. since 2013.
If anything, shavs is that B-grade item you want, since the ES nerf (because ES is still perfectly viable. it's just not easy 25k+ anymore).

but ya, I'm with <3 strange letters>. I am still excited seeing a puny 30c (lol) item drop. even a 5c item. or a neat looking 1c items. Don't burn yourself, the game will be more fun.
rawr. fear me.
Last edited by tidbit on Oct 10, 2017, 1:58:56 PM
(1) Higher drop rate chance SSF

Versus

(2) Lower drop rate chance trade-based

GGG has clearly and transparently chosen the latter.

That is the end of the game, people. There will never be a migration to (1). So like it or leave it, that is PoE.
It's not often I agree with Nephalim, but here I have to agree 100%. Or, at least 80%. There needs to be SOME unique items that aren't gated at all, besides T1 maps. And these items needs to be so good and so rare that they force some adrenaline when they drop.

I still view Kaom's and Shavronne's as chase uniques. If you build around them, they can "easily" let you beat all content. And in some situations, they're way better than a GG rare. But for some people, that isn't enough. Uniques have to be OP to be able to be called "chase uniques", letting you run through content even more braindead that you already do.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
If RPGs are about killing monsters and finding loot, racing games are about driving fast.
Perception is reality.
Kind of agree with OP.

However the solution matters.

Regarding chase items: If you just add more powerful uniques to the game the powercreep will just even further out of control and the game becomes less meaningful. Imho GGG should lower the droprate of uniques across the board. I think it was a mistake to multiply the droprate by 4 some time ago.

It doesn't have to go all the way back to the way things used to be but it certainly would be nice if there were a lot of 10-30c uniques back in the game. They can keep the droprate of tier 1 uniques as it is.

In my opinion chase items should be rare items. They can add a top rare unique or two but honestly I would see it as a step in the wrong direction if GGG didn't stick to rare's being the go-to chase items. Currently crafting is a bit bonkers. They could look into chances of getting each different roll so exalting an item doesn't have a higher chance of "bricking it" than actually doing some good.

Regarding mob density: If you "abuse" zana mods with sextants the mob density is good. The problem is that it's abysmal if you don't heavily rely on these mechanics. To me the problem isn't one or the other. It's the interaction between the two. They synergize.

So in my opinion GGG should do the following:
A) buff mob density.
B) make sextants global (this will remove any possibility of locking out certain sextant mods) and cap sextants so you can maximum have X amount of sextants active at any given time.

OR

A) Give mob density for every atlas % above 100. So a full atlas would grant 26% mob density. Actually encourage us to complete our atlas instead of punishing us for it (a shaped Atlas beats a fully completed one any day of the week and it feels kind of counter intuitive).

Also as a sidenote: Mob density really also needs to be a threat to us as players. I really hope GGG during the next few months implement a real threat when we clear trash mob. Currently it's way to safe (and a bit boring) to play the game :(
Last edited by Frankenberry on Oct 10, 2017, 6:06:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info