Why don't more people use SOUTHBOUND gloves in their ele builds?

The condition for can't kill non-frozen is basically the main reason.

If you're looking for flat ele damage on gloves, you can craft rares with essence of hysteria.

Thunderfist are also BIS for clearing trash if you're a KB wander, which is one of the most popular builds utilizing herald of ice.

As others mentioned, good rares w/ life resists/attack speed work just as well without the conditions

If southbound didn't have the condition, they would be great gloves, but because of it they're just trash.

If you could figure out some way to reliably apply a DOT like poison, ignite, or chaos cloud to your enemies, then you could still kill them without having to have them be frozen, but it's just too much dinky mechanics you need to employ on your build to enable 1 item which provides decent buffs, but not insane enough that it outclasses other options to be worthwhile.

12% max life is whatever. Gloves with 80+ life might even provide more depending on what the rest of your gear and tree look like.
Last edited by ironstove on Oct 8, 2017, 8:37:30 PM
"
ironstove wrote:
If you could figure out some way to reliably apply a DOT like poison, ignite, or chaos cloud to your enemies[..]

Any Crit with 4 Fire Damage will do it. Should be extremely easy with a Wand :p

Do agree that they're not super hot or anything. Just.. Fine. Usable. *shrug*
The culling strike on a golem does not work for shit. I tried it once a league or so ago, the golem was an ice golem, and was a freaking idiot and would never reliably attack.
IGN:Axe_Crazy
"
Necromael wrote:
Yes but you can still take dmg from reflect and nothing stops a monster from 1 hitting you while on low hp.

Gloves are good, but are surpassed by good rares. Not everyone has a slot in their build for golems and cull.

Try playing t16 map with more health mods while enfeebled, most likely, unless you use a strong single target attack skill, you wont kill anything. At best, unique is situational.

edit, boost to herald of ice is still nothing if dmg of herald in first place is low. If you go for a dedicated 6link herald build then maybe, otherwise, hatred does better than having herald on in ice build.

That's simply not true. In my build, herald adds roughly 3x the DPS that Hatred does. You have to remember Hatred is a physical aura, if you have no physical damage, that aura adds next to nothing. Herald is flat cold, which is far superior in an elemental build.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Necromael wrote:
Yes but you can still take dmg from reflect and nothing stops a monster from 1 hitting you while on low hp.

Gloves are good, but are surpassed by good rares. Not everyone has a slot in their build for golems and cull.

Try playing t16 map with more health mods while enfeebled, most likely, unless you use a strong single target attack skill, you wont kill anything. At best, unique is situational.

edit, boost to herald of ice is still nothing if dmg of herald in first place is low. If you go for a dedicated 6link herald build then maybe, otherwise, hatred does better than having herald on in ice build.

That's simply not true. In my build, herald adds roughly 3x the DPS that Hatred does. You have to remember Hatred is a physical aura, if you have no physical damage, that aura adds next to nothing. Herald is flat cold, which is far superior in an elemental build.

Oh sorry yes, I was having physical builds on mind, as I played this league 100% phys to cold conversion.
Spreading salt since 2006
Why are you comparing hatred to HOI? If you're looking for flat added damage from an aura, Wrath or anger is the way to go. I usually use wrath and socket it in something like an alpha's howl for +2 and if you corrupt it, you get +3. Hatred is a joke for crit ele builds.

Not the point though, getting extra damage from HOI seems really pointless if you're already 1-shotting everything from the crit/explosions.

I'm a little curious now though, what are the mechanics for ignite? I know that when you crit, you have a 100% chance to ignite, but could a non-crit or low crit build still inflict ignite without items that increase ignite % the same way that lightning damage can apply shock?

Also, on southbound, is the 50% increased damage really sort of like a 'more' multiplier for HOI? i.e. instead of doing 38–56 added dmg, you now get 57-84 and same with the explosion damage which then gets scaled by your supports and passives, or is it much lamer than that and you only get the increased damage added on top of your total damage AFTER support/passive calculations?
Last edited by ironstove on Oct 9, 2017, 3:13:10 AM
The "Your Hits can only Kill Frozen enemies" only count for hits but it can by bypassed with any DOT effect (ignite,poison).
Culling Strike dont works if the player itself ,which has the gloves equipped, is the DMG source.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Oct 9, 2017, 5:44:02 AM
"
ironstove wrote:

I'm a little curious now though, what are the mechanics for ignite? I know that when you crit, you have a 100% chance to ignite, but could a non-crit or low crit build still inflict ignite without items that increase ignite % the same way that lightning damage can apply shock?

Not sure what you mean here. How can you apply shock with lightning damage if you have no % chance to shock and don't crit?
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.
Any source of Dot will bypass this item drawback, heck just use a lvl1 contagion without any support and you are good to go.
Last edited by IceDeal on Oct 9, 2017, 3:53:29 AM
I used them extensively even before the buff they got. Normal mobs explode instantly due to herald and for bosses you can use any of the dot skills out there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info