Why don't more people use SOUTHBOUND gloves in their ele builds?

They seem pretty OP to me.

Huge flat cold damage.
MASSIVE damage boost to herald of ice explosions
Good life bonus
Good Res
Increased freeze duration

EDIT - You can bypass the downside mod by putting culling strike on your golem to quickly kill bosses or other high HP targets.

I also forgot one other benefit, you cannot kill your self with reflect with these gloves on (unless you are frozen.) You can damage your self, just cant kill yourself
Last edited by furiousgeorge on Oct 8, 2017, 5:17:16 PM
Last bumped on Oct 9, 2017, 5:25:16 AM
"
furiousgeorge wrote:
They seem pretty OP to me.

Huge flat cold damage.
MASSIVE damage boost to herald of ice explosions
Good life bonus
Good Res
Increased freeze duration

Kinda forgot one important line of text on the gloves:

Your Hits can only Kill Frozen Enemies

Sure, for most trash that isn't a problem, but bosses are a different story, and not only that, but when you get map mods that help all monster avoid elemental status ailments...they lose a lot of punch.
;-) the last post about this
"Your Hits can only Kill Frozen Enemies"
do it right ...
that reduce the effektivity .. heavy
Your hits can only kill frozen enemies but they can still damage enemies as far as i remember there was a proof concept for duo party with a culler IIR / IIQ that could get all culls when running maps due to this fact.

Except that i'm not sure to see how those gloves could be really useful;
Hf :)
Guys.....just put culling strike on your golem to bypass the "Can only kill frozen targets with your hits." You can kill bosses just fine that way. You can also link added rarity to your golem for a culling boss killing MF golem.

I also forgot one last BENEFIT of southbound.

YOU CANNOT KILL YOURSELF WITH REFLECT WHEN THEY ARE EQUIPPED. The last mod applies to the reflected damage as well, so unless you are frozen (and you cannot freeze yourself) you cannot 1 shot or kill your self with reflect.
Yes but you can still take dmg from reflect and nothing stops a monster from 1 hitting you while on low hp.

Gloves are good, but are surpassed by good rares. Not everyone has a slot in their build for golems and cull.

Try playing t16 map with more health mods while enfeebled, most likely, unless you use a strong single target attack skill, you wont kill anything. At best, unique is situational.

edit, boost to herald of ice is still nothing if dmg of herald in first place is low. If you go for a dedicated 6link herald build then maybe, otherwise, hatred does better than having herald on in ice build.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on Oct 8, 2017, 5:42:30 PM
they are great gloves, theres no doubt. issue i always find is i need rare gloves, for accuracy, life, and resistances.
you just can't use too many uniques and i always find myself filling gloves for rares 100% of the time
Ele builds are not metal enough, Brutality is the only way to play the game.
"
xMustard wrote:
they are great gloves, theres no doubt. issue i always find is i need rare gloves, for accuracy, life, and resistances.
you just can't use too many uniques and i always find myself filling gloves for rares 100% of the time

But these gloves add lots of life and a good amount of res (cold res)
Added dmg ele builds scale from attack speed very well, also flat life is almost always better, than %life from gear, except if you have really really low %life from the tree.

This is a roughly 100c gloves, has high life, 2 resists, 12% attack speed and 18% increased dmg as the implicit.

That being said teh southbound is a usable gloves early into the league for added dmg builds, while they are still very poor.

Then there are the pale council gloves, that have high added eledmg, life and even a resist roll on them.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Volkuur%27s_Guidance
Last edited by krenderke on Oct 8, 2017, 7:38:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info