[3.0] Hex Icy Siege Ballista (Updating)

Hello, I am Jakko.
I am proud to introduce my very first build, the Hex Icy Siege Ballista Raider !

Build Design Background (Boring)
Spoiler

This is my first build I've ever tried by my own, and I'm a new player of this game too.
I love skills and items that are less famous, and I found this interesting skill Siege Ballista.
While looking through the skill on wiki, I found this perfect item Iron Commander.
I knew it was possible to get a 1000 or more stats, as I have seen people getting it on their self-cast dark pact builds (it was build of the week in September 2017). It means, I can have so much totems firing huge arrows all over the place ! I was excited.

The only reason I started the build with ranger was because I thought it was easier for me to grab the Dex in her side of the tree. It wasn't true, but it all worked out well. I also found out elemental damage is superior than physical in terms of projectile and ranged skills. The more I spent time studying the possibilities, I was able to find optimal way to get this skill running.

I am actually still leveling this build atm, trying to figure out how it is going to be in-game.
If you want solid proofs, just wait for me !

Exciting Points about the Build
Spoiler
Six large crossbows firing large arrows across the screen.

Ethical! (It doesn't use any of those broken flasks, or take advantage of strong Berserker leech!)

Evasion/Life based, no more ES (personal)

Unique. No one around you would have tried this skill (maybe one or two).

PoB pastebin Link (Level 85):
https://pastebin.com/ahQQ6iWf

Leveling
Spoiler
Unfortunately, our friend Iron Commander requires big amount of Dex to work out well.
This means we cannot level with Siege Balistar, as it will be very slow with single totem.

Level 1~12: Shrapnel Shot + LMP + Added Cold Damage, with Siege Ballistar
Link all 4 in one item if possible.

Level 12~28: LA + Physical to Lightning + Faster Attacks + Elemental damage with attacks + Added Cold Damage
The Links are in order of importance, get as many links as possible.(Tabula is your friend)
Get Roth's Reach (Level 18), as it chain your Lightning Arrow another time, giving you greater mapping ability - until then, use LMP instead.

Level 28~around 45: Tornado Shot + GMP + Elemental Damage with Attacks + Faster Attacks + Added Cold Damage + Cold Penetration
Use either Quillrain (Level 5) or Death's Harp (Level 32)
As soon as you start using Tornado Shot, get Hrimburn, Goathide Gloves.

It is one of our core gear, and it boosts your dps.

From around level 45, depending on how fast you went through the Acts and got the bonus passive points, you can start using Siege Ballista !
(After you get Totemic Zeal, Master of Arena, Fury Bolts, 3 Jewel sockets, etc. Basically the 54 points in the Skill Tree section underneath.)
On your Jewel sockets, equip:
Fluid Motion
Brawn
Rain of Splinters

You must have the Fluid Motion jewel beside the Golem's Blood node (6 o'clock) for maximum Dex. Position of other two doesn't really matter at this point.

Skill Tree
Spoiler

23 Points: poeurl.com/bAvj Early game, using bow skills to level.
54 Points: poeurl.com/bAvm Still leveling, preparing to use our Ballista.
77 Points: poeurl.com/bAvn Leveling with Siege Balista, Fun.
106 Points: poeurl.com/bAvo At this point you should have Hex Icy Siege Ballista!
Final: poeurl.com/bAvp Final form. You can actually drop some damage nodes and get more life nodes.

Bandits / Ascendancy
Spoiler
Kill all the Bandits for passive points. We need more.

Ascendancy: Raider !!!
Take in order of:
Quarts Infusion
Way of the Poacher

Why Raider? because the semi-permanent phasing is too op for this build, because you have to run around and through the mobs while the Ballista are doing the work (We drop the totem in front of them, and we can just run through them for maximum clear speed.)

However, you actually drop Avatar of the Slaughter and grab Avatar of the Chase instead. It will be less DPS, but will give you greater survivability.
When Avatar of the Chase is combo'd with Avatar of the Veil: the increased onslaught duration and continued onslaught while killing mobs will give us permanent phasing for mapping. Furthermore, Avatar of the Chase give us extra evade chance, which put my evade chance at 78%. Since we have to sacrifice some Life for the Dex and resistance, it gives greater tool for our survival. We can do this because we are not relying on The Way of the Poacher to gain Frenzy charges.
We are using the skill Frenzy!

Gem Links
Spoiler

Main Skill Link:
Siege Ballista > Elemental Damage with Attacks > Added Cold Damage > Ice Bite > Cold Penetration > Increased Critical Damage

Secondary Skill Link:
Frenzy > Curse on Hit > Projectile Weakness > Greater Multiple Projectile > Power Charge on Critical > Culling Strike
Culling strike is perfect addition to our build, as our bonus from Raider ascendancy procs on kills as well. (Unfortunately, totem kills don't count). However, you are fine without culling, because all you need to do is use Frenzy like once every 15s to keep the charges at max for all the bonuses. Culling strike just helps you get your stacks maxed out faster (Thank you Kiss_My_ASSassin, you inspired me!)

Auras:
Herald of Ice / Grace / Clarity
Put each Auras in any empty sockets (in CWDT, Active skill, or Movement Skill set-ups)

CWDT Set-up:
Cast When Damage Taken > Immortal Call > Phase Run > Increased Duration

Active Skill Link Set-up:
Rallying Cry > Vaal Haste > Increased Duration

Movement Skill Set-up:
Blink Arrow > Faster Attacks > Faster Projectiles

You can take out Faster projectiles for empty socket for Portal, or get a 6 socket weapon with 5 Links for extra socket.

Jewels
Spoiler
We have 6 jewel sockets, and we are going to fill it up with Uniques.
(No need to worry about freaking-expensive-4-line-extreme jewels!)

We need:
3 Fluid Motions (+24 Dexterity)
2 Brawns (+6% Dexterity, with lowest -% on Intelligence. Don't worry about Str.)
1 Rain of Splinters (Allows us to have 7-link effect on Siege Ballista, equivalent of LMP)

---

However, we can change two Brawns with something ridiculous.
Emperor's Mastery (5-7% all attributes, 4% Life, 5% Global Def.) for 20 Ex, or:
Emperor's Cunning (20% Accuracy, 6% Dex) for 15 Ex.
DON'T EVEN BOTHER GETTING THESE, the price is ridiculous (Unless you have no way to make use of your currency other than smashing it in face of other people). It's just not worth the money.

Gears
Spoiler

There are only 3 "Required" gears:
Iron Commander, Hrimburn, and Astramentis.
Spoiler
Iron Commander allows us to stack Dex for major dps boost, and have multiple Siege Ballista totems without the Ancestral Bond node.

Hrimburn converts 50% of the physical damage of Siege Ballista into Cold damage, allowing us to stack on % Elemental damage for major dps boost.
In addition to the 40% Physical damage to Cold from the Nodes, we have 90% convert min.

Atramentis Helps a lot by giving us bunch of Dexterity, as Intelligence as well. As we are using Brawn, we are lacking so much Intelligence for the blue gems. Just grab this item, and the problem is almost solved.

The only "Semi-required" gear is:
Starkonja's Head.
Spoiler
Starkonja's Head has every single stat that we need. Evasion, Dexterity, defensive stats including Life, Crit chance, and Attack speed!

Other items can we rare, unique or anything that you find helpful.

General tips on every part:
Look for Dexterity, at least 45 on each and every equipment!
Also, look for Life and Resistance (don't forget to Cap it to 75% at least!)
For Rings and Belts, look for % Elemental Damage for Attacks for massive DPS boost! (Expensive)

Some Other Useful Uniques:
Spoiler

Body Armour:
Briskwrap (15% Dexterity), and
Hyrri's Ire (+50 Dex, bunch of flat Cold damage, Large evasion rating, increased chill on enemies, 10% dodge chance to attacks and spells)

Quiver:
Drillneck (12% Attack speed, Life, Flat physical damage, Increased damage with pierce) and,
The Fracturing Spinner (+45~50 Dexterity, Flat fire and cold damage, fire and cold resi, and a cute Harbinger pet that gives you random buffs).

Glove:
Shaper's Touch (Large boost on Life)
Although Hrimburn is our core glove for DPS boost, you could also make use the Shaper's touch as we are stacking so much Dex. It adds about 550 life, at a cost of 15K DPS. If you find yourself suffering to survive from strong bosses, it might be good idea to grab this.

Flasks
Spoiler
Only one Unique flask for us, The Wise Oak!
It gives you bunch of resistance (and so you do need need to over-cap the resistance), and massive DPS boost. Just don't forget to keep your Cold Resistance highest.

Other flasks:
Diamond Flask
Silver Flask
Quicksilver Flask
, and
(Eternal) Life Flask

You have lots of magic flasks, get Staunching (anti-bleeding), Warding (anti-curse), and Heat (anti-frozen).
and Be use to get Instant healing mod on the Life flask (Bubbling)

Enchantments (and Vaal Mods)
Spoiler
Helmet: +45% Increased Siege Ballista Totem Placement Speed
Since you have 6 totems to put down, placement speed helps a lot, even if its just a fraction of second.

Shoes: +1 Frenzy Charge
You're a Raider. What else will you get, right?

Gloves: Curse Enemies with Level 10-12 Elemental Weakness on Hit
If you get this glove, you should have Enemies can have 1 additional Curse on your Amulet as well.
However, these two vaal mods are very expensive!

Stat Goals to Aim with the Build:
Spoiler
You should have at least 1,000 Dexterity! It adds 5 additional Siege Ballista to boost your DPS, and is much more fun with more totems.
At least 155 Intelligence, enough to level all blue gems to level 20.

Finally,
Videos: Will be updated more as I level this character!
Spoiler

Level 77 Beachhead T5: https://youtu.be/Ir4NZrJsWMk

Have fun with this build as I am, those giant arrows covering the entire map (fired from Six totems) is very entertaining!
Last edited by Kkoogit on Feb 1, 2019, 3:47:18 PM
Last bumped on Jan 10, 2018, 12:29:58 PM
sounds fun reserved

can i go with berserker or scion?
"
yasminforever wrote:
sounds fun reserved

can i go with berserker or scion?

Berserker wouldn't work with these Ballistas, but Chieftain might.
He actually has more strength nodes (for Fluid Motion to convert to Dexterity) and is closer to the Ancestral Bond node (for extra totem), but you have to give up on Convert to Cold damage build, and rather go for Convert to Fire damage build (and the tree will be completely different from mine)

You could also go with Scion, but I would recommend Raider or Pathfinder strongly.
Their ascendancy nodes really works well with this build, because they give you everything you need.
If you stick with Scion, I'd go with Chieftain and Pathfinder.
Last edited by Kkoogit on Oct 7, 2017, 10:39:52 AM
Video please :)

And we cant look ur character
Last edited by xtREEN on Oct 7, 2017, 1:20:22 PM
"
xtREEN wrote:

I'm working on how to get videos and leveling this character atm!

Thanks for letting me know my character tabs were hidden on forums, now it is open for you guys to take a look at :)
"
"
xtREEN wrote:

I'm working on how to get videos and leveling this character atm!

Thanks for letting me know my character tabs were hidden on forums, now it is open for you guys to take a look at :)

hope u can add a video soon, your build sounds interesting :-)

do u think its guardian/shaper viable?
"
xtREEN wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure.

Damage-wise, my build is doing enough to kill them imo. Problem is where I'm not sure if I can survive through the fight or not :-/

One thing I know is that I can't do it with this gear I have right now... I have almost all rare equips with less than 60 life, as price of any higher life items was getting too high for me to afford.
Last edited by Kkoogit on Oct 7, 2017, 10:51:26 PM
"
"
xtREEN wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure.

Damage-wise, my build is doing enough to kill them imo. Problem is where I'm not sure if I can survive through the fight or not :-/

One thing I know is that I can't do it with this gear I have right now... I have almost all rare equips with less than 60 life, as price of any higher life items was getting too high for me to afford.

any news / vids? wanna see ur ballistas :)
I have updated:

- Added PoB pastebin link for this build, with all the possible uniques that I found, with rare equipments that my character is wearing atm.

- Added a video section, with just one video (Beachhead T5, character level 77).
For your helmet, what do you think if i were to equip devoto's devotion ? does the reduce physical damage affect me ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info