[3.1] Quill Poison Raider | ALL map mods | Fast | "Tanky" | 3M DPS | Facetank | 100+ arrows/second

This was a great build to run, very enjoyable and can do all content in the game smoothly, except obviously poison immune stuff.

For those interested in running it, I am selling all my setup pretty much optimized, even res-wise. My IGN is Knuckledust.

Last edited by Knuckledust13 on Oct 8, 2017, 10:36:10 AM
"
akhen0924 wrote:
As soon as I saw this build I knew I wanted to play it. I even tried building on my own a similar concept but I couldn't make it work.

At any rate here are my thoughts so far (level 77, level 17 gems, 2/4 lab):

- Leveling was fairly smooth but once I could equip my gloves and chest is when things really started to shine. Probably the easiest Kitava kill I have had leveling.

- There has been talk of using double curse for increased dps. And while a +1 curse amulet can be a pricey option what about using
? You could even get +1 frenzy on them for cheap. The only downside I see is possible the res but most importantly the move speed.

- I remember seeing a +1 Maloney's for under 10c early league but after this build was published they went for 4ex minimum. Are there any other builds that use this quiver?

- I decided to corrupt my own quill rain. Research shows its about 1/98, I got it in 42 corruptions. Cost me about 80c (1c avg quill rain + vaal orb) of investment instead of buying one for 4ex+.

- While corrupting quill rains I managed to somehow corrupt this, what are the odds? Just wanted to share, 6l and all.


- I would also consider mentioning that culling strike on quill rain is a very nice budget or temporary option for obvious reasons. I got one intially for 20c.

- I also am looking at getting a +chaos damage to attacks implicit on Thiefs Torment, besides the loss of res any thoughts?

- Mapping has been very enjoyable, hard to die and love being able to run pretty much any map mod. My only grip so far is that its a little strange getting used to the ticking poison. Its less of an issue as I gear up though. Culling strike was most noticeable at this point.


Wow, great breakdown and suggestions I'm glad you're enjoying the build.

About those boots, I think curses are too weak vs bosses for it to be worthwhile.
IGN - Imgur
I am really enjoying this build. My raider is alrdy lvl 90.

One thin i noticed is how rediculous added chaos damage is for this build.
If u can handle the resists then getting added chaos corruption on thief's torment is defiantly worth it.

Also while I was dabbaling in PoB I tried added the adding chaos boot enchant: Adds 120 to 180 Chaos Damage if you've taken a Critical Strike Recently.
In my setup it gave like and extra 1 MILLION dps to barrage.
Not suprisingly since this boot enchant is equal to about lvl 17 added chaos gem. Its such a shame that it is so hard to proc.
Atleast I can't wrap my head around how anyone can proc it reliably.
Last edited by Ulysses55 on Oct 8, 2017, 5:40:08 PM
Another thing I wanted to point out is that instead of using rare amulets with +chaos damage and %chaos damage u can use :



It can roll up to 8% maximum life + u can get a +1frenzy corruption alot easier on it. AND it provides A LOT of damage even with just frenzy charges up.

What I personally do is use
for mapping and swap to maligaros for tough bosses.
I like the idea of this build and am trying to make it work in HC. However, i am having a hard time leveling this build. I thought the poison damage is based of a the initial physical hit, so if you are hitting with a bow that only hits for 50 the poison is only a % of that? Or am i wrong?

I also tried two Mortem Morsu claws with a cyclone setup and that was a bunch of fun, lots of instant life and mana easily sustained cyclone. However those claws have the same issue that the initial hit is just too low.
Last edited by Exray on Oct 9, 2017, 10:53:39 AM
"
Exray wrote:
I like the idea of this build and am trying to make it work in HC. However, i am having a hard time leveling this build. I thought the poison damage is based of a the initial physical hit, so if you are hitting with a bow that only hits for 50 the poison is only a % of that? Or am i wrong?


Poison is no longer based on the initial hit since 3.0.

That is what makes this build work. All those less modifiers like Quill rain's 40% less ,gmp and chain no longer affect poison , only the inialal hit.

Basicly poison ( and ignite aswell) are calculated completely seperate from the initial hit.
Last edited by Ulysses55 on Oct 9, 2017, 11:01:16 AM
"
Ulysses55 wrote:
"
Exray wrote:
I like the idea of this build and am trying to make it work in HC. However, i am having a hard time leveling this build. I thought the poison damage is based of a the initial physical hit, so if you are hitting with a bow that only hits for 50 the poison is only a % of that? Or am i wrong?


Poison is no longer based on the initial hit since 3.0.

That is what makes this build work. All those less modifiers like Quill rain's 40% less ,gmp and chain no longer affect poison , only the inialal hit.

Basicly poison ( and ignite aswell) are calculated completely seperate from the initial hit.


Well now that makes sense but wouldn't this build work much better with a Shadow trickster since it offers a lot more damage overtime options?
Actually doing some more research poison is definitely scaled base on the physical damage of the weapon. Here is a link to another similar build where the guy states this and is using a high physical bow. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1956844

On top of that if you change your weapon around to a high physical you can go under the tooltip and see that the poison DPS goes up significantly over the quill rain bow. There is a reason no one else is using this bow to apply poison dots, it just simply does not work.
Last edited by Exray on Oct 9, 2017, 12:06:56 PM
"
Exray wrote:
Actually doing some more research poison is definitely scaled base on the physical damage of the weapon. Here is a link to another similar build where the guy states this and is using a high physical bow. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1956844

On top of that if you change your weapon around to a high physical you can go under the tooltip and see that the poison DPS goes up significantly over the quill rain bow. There is a reason no one else is using this bow to apply poison dots, it just simply does not work.


Yes it is true, poison scales with physical damage, however it also scales with Chaos Damage and Attack Speed as well. Quill rain offers the highest possible attack speed for a bow. Stacking poison increases the damage you deal. This build primarily scales of added chaos damage on poison damage modifiers while stacking multiple poisons.

If you use a physical bow such as a lioneye's your DPS will go up a bit, however you lose the synergy you get from quill raina and theifs torment. Clearly this build works properly with a quill rain and you can see that by my positive results.
IGN - Imgur
"
Exray wrote:
Actually doing some more research poison is definitely scaled base on the physical damage of the weapon. Here is a link to another similar build where the guy states this and is using a high physical bow. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1956844

On top of that if you change your weapon around to a high physical you can go under the tooltip and see that the poison DPS goes up significantly over the quill rain bow. There is a reason no one else is using this bow to apply poison dots, it just simply does not work.


I think u misunderstood what I said, let me explain.

Poison damage is comletely seperate calculation that is NOT effected by the less modifier of qull rain or gmp or chain.

How ever quill rain still has very low physical dps so baseline the poison it will apply is low.

BUT this build doesn't care about the quill rains dps MOST of the damage comes from the added chaos damage gem ( which is why I definatly recoment getting a corrupted lvl 21 added chaos damage gem).

We scale this chaos damage with the insane attack speed of quill rain , that is all we need this bow for. The actual dps on it is almost irrelevent.

Just to give u some numbers : in path of building my dps against shaper goes from 1.5 million to just 300k if i remove the added chaos damage gem.
Last edited by Ulysses55 on Oct 9, 2017, 6:54:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info