Only 0.33% of Xbox players hit 80...

Don't forget we got dynamic pixels on pc as a rush fix because they had to uphold fps promises on xbox they couldn't deliver and that hurt both versions.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Archwizard wrote:
Who gives a fuck?

Gonna guess GGG probably do.

This isn't surprising to me in the slightest. We've had years to adapt to PoE's vicissitudes. To learn its mechanics bit by bit. And we can always just alt-tab to the wiki.

Slamming this game onto a relatively 'casual' console like the Xbox one (okay, fine, consoles are mostly casual but the point stands) in its current state was not going to result in a particularly large number of people 'finishing' it (i.e. mapping regularly). It just wasn't. I like that GGG are expanding, finally, but PoE has no real place in the console game market. It started as a niche 'hardcore' PC ARPG and that will remain its primary form. Right now, I view the console version as an interesting exercise, one likely more successful than the Garena foray but probably not as successful as the China expansion, which benefits from Tencent's unfathomable backing.

poe isn't really in the 'niche hardcore form' anymore; yet it also isn't in the casual corner yet(mostly because casual player can't fathom playing 10k hours of a game that isn't skill based ,and also can't fathom and not winning or being entertained every minute)

thus it's in a purgatory of a sort.

This is a real problem when you make a niche game and then sellout to be more 'accesible'. a lot of times you can't win over the casuals without completely overhauling the game, yet you kinda annoy and maybe even alienate the core fanbase that bought your idea when you were niche. it's quite a conundrum, really.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Alrighty.

So you claimed that the XBox project was entirely negative, with no benefits to the PC version, and implied (...well, outright said) that the development of the Xbox version sapped resources from the PC. Let's go from there.

Firstly, the improved mtx system is a direct result of the Xbox development plan. If you think about the old one, it was 100% controller unfriendly (among a slew of other problems). Getting the new one working by the time the xbox version went live was utterly crucial. There is no proof we'd have gotten it without that imperative. Sure, we bitched but ultimately the old system worked well enough. GGG could have let that one drag one for years yet and it likely wouldn't have impacted the game's popularity all that much.

I'm fairly sure the new in-game reference system is also a result of the Xbox project, since we PC users are used to just alt-tabbing (or glancing at our other screen) to look shit up on the wiki. Console players cannot be expected to do that.

As a final example, the water physics change that no one was really expecting but had been requested for years very likely found itself higher on the list of priorities due to the Xbox release.

So that's your point of 'Xbox development had a completely negative impact on the PC version' countered.

Next, sapped resources. It's no secret the PoE Xbox team is separate from the PC one. I see devs posting in the Xbox boards I've never seen around otherwise. And while people want to say their support packs went towards the Xbox version and that they never intended their money to go that way, fact is the moment they hand that cash over to GGG, it's up to GGG to decide how to use it. And though I can't say much more on the matter, the costs to develop the Xbox version didn't rely solely on player support. Not even close. Oh, and while the Xbox version was announced fairly close to the announcement of 3.0, they've been working on a console version for well over a year. I knew about it long before I could tell anyone. And it certainly didn't impact the update schedule of the PC version during that time. We still got desync fixed, for example. When no one was really expecting it.

The ONLY obvious time when the Xbox version had a massive negative impact on the PC was during the Closed Beta for 3.0, when several key devs were over in the US pimping the XBox version while back home the beta was running into all sorts of problems that only said key devs could fix. But of course GGG had to send at least one founder to E3 because it's E3. This was a big dream come true for GGG, given they were chasing people down at PAX merely five years ago all but begging people to try their beta.

I've no comment as to whether or not the Xbox version is making money. Whether or not it was 'worth it'. Not my place to say...and I already said my piece in that regard on the first page I believe.

I merely wanted to note that your claim that the Xbox version had an absolutely negative effect on the PC version was unfounded, and in turn to point out that your further argument that resources were sapped is equally unstable.

See, I knew your arguments would be something like that. This is why I am always careful with my choice of words.

I understand that some changes were pushed with more urgency because the Xbox was in the works. That was only natural, and I do not deny that it happened.

However, none of these changes would have been impossible without the Xbox version. All that money and all those resources could have been sunk into the PC version instead. It does not matter where the money came from, if it went to the Xbox it did not go to the PC. It does not matter if the devs are different. If devs were hired for the Xbox, that means more devs could have been hired for the PC instead. All of those changes could still have been achieved if the Xbox had never existed. Maybe they would have taken longer, maybe they would have been much lower priority and we wouldn't have seen them for years. It does not matter, because we would have gotten other things. In fact, we would have gotten more things, because more resources would have gone into the PC version than what actually did go in.

That's what Opportunity Cost is. And that is why I said the Xbox version is only a detriment. Because there is nothing that came to us thanks to the Xbox that could not have come to us without it. As I said, you simply cannot disprove Economics.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

You'll find me when pigs start flying.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
I am always careful with my choice of words.

"
The only way that the Xbox version affects the PC version is negatively. Any resources taken up by the Xbox version could have gone to the PC version.

Stress mine.

You're hedging your bets by saying 'not impossible'. I never once argued possibility. I argued the causality resulting from imperative.

And 'opportunity cost' is not a negative concept. It simply means one thing given up for another, with no real regard for which might be better. Could the PC version have been better had GGG not allocated resources to the Xbox? Almost certainly. That doesn't mean it was 'only negatively affected'. For all you know, a deal GGG made with Microsoft netted them a bunch of cash to put into the game's development on all platforms. You just don't know enough on the matter to make such an absolute claim.

I think you know you weren't 'careful' with your choice of words there.

This is starting to look like arguing for the sake of it. I've better things to do. You?

I do stand by that choice of words. We are just seeing things from a different perspective, and therefore will never convince each other, so there is indeed very little point in arguing any more.

As you said, I am basing my entire position and argumentation on possibility. What could have been possible had GGG not invested in an Xbox release. And I do not think I am wrong in the way I see things from that perspective.

Whereas you are willing to give GGG the benefit of the doubt, saying there might be things we might not know or understand, and appreciate the good things that came to you now due to the push of the Xbox release. Since you know them better than me (or any of us), I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, and say I can understand why you choose that position to see things from.

But I cannot see things from your point of view. I would either have to put my trust in you or GGG to do so, and my trust was betrayed when the Xbox was announced (and the work I've seen since then hasn't convinced me otherwise yet). I am simply not willing to pay any money while believing that some of it goes to the Xbox users, even if it's 0.0001% that does. I've said this in other threads: I know it makes me selfish, but it's simply the way it is for me. Maybe I'll be convinced again in another three years, although I somehow doubt it.

Thanks for taking the time though. In the few times that I think we've ended up on opposite sides of an argument, I've found that it always makes me understand things a little better.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

You'll find me when pigs start flying.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
This isn't surprising to me in the slightest. We've had years to adapt to PoE's vicissitudes. To learn its mechanics bit by bit. And we can always just alt-tab to the wiki.

Slamming this game onto a relatively 'casual' console like the Xbox one (okay, fine, consoles are mostly casual but the point stands) in its current state was not going to result in a particularly large number of people 'finishing' it (i.e. mapping regularly). It just wasn't. I like that GGG are expanding, finally, but PoE has no real place in the console game market.

^ This!

If you are an old pc gamer you may like this stoneage game even when you hate parts of it but if you are the average console player you will not deal with all these poe wtf moments for more than a few hours!

"Yes, it is perfectly fair. It just sucks ass."
posted by Thaelyn on 12. August 2013 17:33
Last edited by 666tnt666 on Sep 22, 2017, 9:23:11 AM
Interesting reading through Charan and PrimordialDarkness arguments in regards to xbox affecting the PC negatively or otherwise.

It's actually impossible to argue against opportunity costs. The "What if" is impossible. 5 years from now we could see a surge in consoles that keeps POE alive (no likely but could) if PC starts to struggle. Then we would all be grateful for the Xbox port.

I play both on PC an xbox. I can say for a certainty that the Xbox version of the game is a different experience. The game is good the player experience from a console perspective is bad. GGG relied so heavily on the actual fun of the game that they forgot how fickle console players can be.

The only issue I really have for the xbox version of the game is that it was a clear PORT of the game. The game was not specifically designed for console users. So a lot of the rough, QOL edges we have in PC are 10x worse on xbox. As a result, the game looks very "amateur" on xbox and sells the brilliance of the PC developers very, very short.

The xbox version plays like a single players game where you have a board in town where you may or may not be able to buy a unique. Rare min/maxing to fully optimize characters is impossible with the trade tools given. There is absolutely no social interaction since there is no global chat (even though other xbox games do use that function GGG left it out for god knows why). The game FEELS like a shitty port and that is the saddest thing about it.

If they were going to go in on an XBOX version they should have taken their time and redesign a multitude of menus and really do a thorough QUALITY OF LIFE Beta with controlled testers (at GGG studios). The "Does it work" beta that we participated in on xbox wasn't enough in my opinion.

The game works on Xbox, yes. Is it good? I don't think it is and I think many other players would say the same thing. It feels like a bad port. Terrible random crashing, bad controller config in a lot of situations, basic functionality crashes the game (i.e. applying more than one currency to an item like using armor scraps on items).

At the end of the day games on console should be DESIGNED for console from the ground up...this one clearly wasn't and GGG will lose many players confidence in the xbox product and have to regain it over the next few years.

Last edited by Prizy on Sep 22, 2017, 11:21:05 AM
"
666tnt666 wrote:

If you are an old pc gamer you may like this stoneage game even when you hate parts of it but if you are the average console player you will not deal with all these poe wtf moments for more than a few hours!

I wouldnt call poe 'stoneage'. its actual combat gameplay, ui and graphics certainly arent 'stoneage' in the slightest.

its really not that far off in presentation from d3, which was I believe a fairly successful console release.

its not made for consoles because of its underlying mechanics, learning curve, RNG and needing time investment for payoff. which most console players cant handle.

I mean, if dwarf fortress had amazing graphics and ui, console players still wouldnt play it.

"
grepman wrote:
I mean, if dwarf fortress had amazing graphics and ui, console players still wouldnt play it.

Ok, now THAT is a real stoneage game.....
"Yes, it is perfectly fair. It just sucks ass."
posted by Thaelyn on 12. August 2013 17:33
Trading is unequivocally the issue on consoles right now. Essentially, everyone is playing a slightly modified version of SSF. Rings, amulets, and gems are damn-near impossible to trade for without filtering available. Basically every upgrade folks are going to get will either be crafted, which requires hefty time investment to level masters, or is a lucky drop.

I dinged 80 last week. I've been mapping for *maybe* a week -- found 1 upgrade - ilvl 74 Queen of the Forest. Still can't find, fuse, buy, or drop a 5L bow that will work with my setup (shrapnel shot/elemental crit). Yes, the build is certainly not optimal in terms of raw dps, but it can 1 shot most enemies up through about T4. If I could trade for new rings, amulet, and pull an Imperial bow with high attack speed/crit chance, my dps would be enough to push me on into the T7-T8 range.

As it stands, though, that's just not reasonable until a new bow drop and new/better rings for resist coverage...

So, for everyone on console, it's an issue of trade access...it's also impacting the currency market because no one can get above 80 and farm higher tier map areas consistently. This is why you see crappy items being listed for INSANE amounts of c or ex. Yesterday, I saw a 3L thicket bow with no att speed/no phys dmg/no crit mods...just flat elemental, two resists, and maybe bleed duration listed for 50!c. Now, obviously, that person doesn't have any understanding of the economy (...at all). But that's not necessarily uncommon, either.

"
666tnt666 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

Ok, now THAT is a real stoneage game.....
no it isn't.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info