[3.1] BUDGET! Frostbreath + Ice Crash - 1 Million Shaper DPS

"
litesabr wrote:
Grats on BOTW! I like main idea with frostbreath.

"
Dongaldo wrote:
4. Augury of Penitence: Nearby Enemies take 16% increased Elemental Damage. This is flat-out 16% MORE elemental damage. It’s the same thing as everyone’s newly loved Belt of the Deceiver. Nearby Enemies deal 8% less Elemental Damage. This is flat-out 8% elemental damage reduction. Awesome.

Not quite, although I wish it were true. I'm referencing for using RF which would be amazing if it was 8% less elemental damage taken. If only my wishes were chaos orbs, I'd be rich...

You're right. It's 8% less damage from enemies. Not degens like RF.
"
LastTruGod wrote:
So, I've created basically the exact character. To the point of even having better rolled gear. I have 96k PoB dps.... How is this even possible?

Check your calculations in PoB and make sure you have Enemy is Chilled checked at a minimum.
Last edited by Dongaldo on Oct 5, 2017, 10:40:18 PM
"
inquisitor/berserker/raider should all be equally good with this build.

raider could go straight for projectile node with frostblade instead of ice crash( everything else the same), this ends up with way higher map speed, but slower vs boss, and lower ehp.

berserker will have higher raw damage with lower ehp, but there's no point going zerker without vp, in fact thats the whole point of this ascendancy. this will end up with easier getting one shot, but immortal to anything else,like shaper's beam. definitly slower than raider, but relatively easier farming shaper than inquisitor.
sadly, vaal pact= no lab farming for 99% of the people

inquisitor really is all around best for this build, can do anything with at ease, a bit slower with high end boss than serker,(cant really face tank them, but leave enough room for positioning), but less likely got one shot by some bshit attack( thus chimera add, fuck them). more important, can farm lab any day! thats really something a starter build must have.

I tested all three at strd, just gave a little feedback here since i really have a blast with it, and saw all those claiming inq is only good for crit.

Thanks for this.
Nice build and guide, the enchant "ancestral warchief totem grants 30% increased melee damage while active" is a nice budget option. Would be nice if you could drop videos down to 1080p windowed for recording purposes :).

Edit: I'm not convinced with the builds defense, even with pandemonius it just has too low EHP for a melee build, would definitely not feel comfortable at all for HC.
Last edited by dupie on Oct 6, 2017, 2:21:23 AM
"
Nice build and guide, the enchant "ancestral warchief totem grants 30% increased melee damage while active" is a nice budget option. Would be nice if you could drop videos down to 1080p windowed for recording purposes :).

Edit: I'm not convinced with the builds defense, even with pandemonius it just has too low EHP for a melee build, would definitely not feel comfortable at all for HC.

tho i love this build, got to advise against use it in HC, ice crash is too big a burst damage dealer making reflect flimsy even with pantheon, meanwhile frostbreath require traveling to raider area just for damage node and one ring and amulet with no life, this limits the ehp it can have. personally i think scion could probably make it work, elementalist/raider with more hp invested, meanwhile not sacrifice dps too much. another choice would be max block gladiator, should be most safe, but damage would probably be an issue.
"
"

tho i love this build, got to advise against use it in HC, ice crash is too big a burst damage dealer making reflect flimsy even with pantheon, meanwhile frostbreath require traveling to raider area just for damage node and one ring and amulet with no life, this limits the ehp it can have. personally i think scion could probably make it work, elementalist/raider with more hp invested, meanwhile not sacrifice dps too much. another choice would be max block gladiator, should be most safe, but damage would probably be an issue.

The ranger part of the tree is actually more efficient than say, the marauder part for damage and life. I'm pretty sure the guide gets that not because it's required, but because it's just the best way to do it.

I'm running this build slightly different though, which touches on your burst damage comment. I'm using this build with Glacial Hammer. I know what you're thinking, Glacial Hammer sucks and you need melee splash linked for AOE which wastes DPS potential, but hear me out.

There are threshold Jewels for Glacial Hammer, Winter Burial, that give it cold-only splash damage, much like melee splash. It only deals the cold damage part of the hit, so you need conversion to 100% to make full use of that splash damage. Just so happens that the threshold also grants 25% conversion, which means that 50% from Glacial innate, 25% jewel and 40% on the tree from Winter spirit, you're at 100% conversion already with just one jewel.

You can drop conc effect for multistrike, adding DPS and giving you more opportunities to freeze, which I'll touch on in a minute. Ice Crash is just a straight up damage skill. It doesn't do anything other than damage. Glacial Hammer also has a 25% chance to freeze, which is a nice defensive option now that most bosses can be frozen as well. It also increases the effect and duration of chill and freeze, which helps a great deal defensively.

In the end it's a much safer option, with according to PoB the same rough estimate DPS in the same gear. I guess the AOE is still slightly lower than Ice Crash though, even with Conc Effect. But that's a small price to pay imo.

I wonder if Dongaldo had considered this option... I haven't built it yet, it's all just PoB simulation, but hopefully this weekend I'll have the build running maps and I'll know for sure if Glacial is better or not. It looks promising.

If you're interested in following progress, Thorbius is the templar that will carry it out. Without pants.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Oct 6, 2017, 8:05:56 AM
"
The ranger part of the tree is actually more efficient than say, the marauder part for damage and life. I'm pretty sure the guide gets that not because it's required, but because it's just the best way to do it.

I'm running this build slightly different though, which touches on your burst damage comment. I'm using this build with Glacial Hammer. I know what you're thinking, Glacial Hammer sucks and you need melee splash linked for AOE which wastes DPS potential, but hear me out.

There are threshold Jewels for Glacial Hammer, Winter Burial, that give it cold-only splash damage, much like melee splash. It only deals the cold damage part of the hit, so you need conversion to 100% to make full use of that splash damage. Just so happens that the threshold also grants 25% conversion, which means that 50% from Glacial innate, 25% jewel and 40% on the tree from Winter spirit, you're at 100% conversion already with just one jewel.

You can drop conc effect for multistrike, adding DPS and giving you more opportunities to freeze, which I'll touch on in a minute. Ice Crash is just a straight up damage skill. It doesn't do anything other than damage. Glacial Hammer also has a 25% chance to freeze, which is a nice defensive option now that most bosses can be frozen as well. It also increases the effect and duration of chill and freeze, which helps a great deal defensively.

In the end it's a much safer option, with according to PoB the same rough estimate DPS in the same gear. I guess the AOE is still slightly lower than Ice Crash though, even with Conc Effect. But that's a small price to pay imo.

I wonder if Dongaldo had considered this option... I haven't built it yet, it's all just PoB simulation, but hopefully this weekend I'll have the build running maps and I'll know for sure if Glacial is better or not. It looks promising.

If you're interested in following progress, Thorbius is the templar that will carry it out. Without pants.

glacial hammer is definitely a nice idea, really never thought about it, and from what you describe, seems legit,have to check it out now. that being said, i did try frostblade on raider and went for dodge, then grab a lot 4% life around area, ended up with 6.3k life with 45 dodge, reflect no longer an issue, but dps feels bad facing guardian.

one thing about frozen as defense mechanic is its unreliable with boss like guardian/shaper, and ice crash with 10% freeze passive really is good enough for t15. i think the defining feather about this build is its usage of frostbreath with two chilled related unique, and all the big damage points can be collected in raider area, and of course op's clever use of cold steel jewel. so if we dont change these feather, then ehp will always be a problem in hc, even we can bypass the reflect check.
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
"

Agree with everything you have here. This build wasn't made for HC. You can take the concept and adjust to be HC viable for sure.

This actually started out as a Glacial Hammer build. Tried it with and without the threshold jewels. It works, just didn't feel as Ice Crash good to me.

My only issue with it was the namelocking when clearing mobs. That and the cold only splash damage didn't have a very high radius. The damage was just fine, the freezing was amazing. Try it out and see if you like it.

I also tried using Sunder and Earthquake. Settled on Ice Crash because it did more damage and felt about the same as the other two. Not having to use Multistrike and Less Duration respectively lead to this conclusion.
"

glacial hammer is definitely a nice idea, really never thought about it, and from what you describe, seems legit,have to check it out now. that being said, i did try frostblade on raider and went for dodge, then grab a lot 4% life around area, ended up with 6.3k life with 45 dodge, reflect no longer an issue, but dps feels bad facing guardian.

one thing about frozen as defense mechanic is its unreliable with boss like guardian/shaper, and ice crash with 10% freeze passive really is good enough for t15. i think the defining feather about this build is its usage of frostbreath with two chilled related unique, and all the big damage points can be collected in raider area, and of course op's clever use of cold steel jewel. so if we dont change these feather, then ehp will always be a problem in hc, even we can bypass the reflect check.

Yeah, as stated in previous post this actually started out as a Glacial Hammer build and the current tree and item sets I am using were definitely not designed for HC.

You don't have to use Tasalio's Sign. It was just an insane damage option for 9c. Not sure what they are now. The damage from Tasalio's Sign is equal to a mirror worthy Opal Ring. Not needed but very welcome. The Pandemonius is just too good to not use with the build.
Last edited by Dongaldo on Oct 6, 2017, 11:54:15 AM
@Child_Of_Hundreds and Xavathos - if you're actively playing this build.... one thing I really wanted to do was take advantage of the Frostbreath double damage and Lycosidae adds cold damage to counterattacks. This is why there is a random Vengeance skill in my setup. It was left over from a Vengenace + Reckoning + Added Cold + Elemental Damage with Attack setup.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info