I'm new, unsure how to progress.

Greetings traveler \o

I suck at this game. Ranger is my 1st character, so it obviously isn't going to be very successful, but to struggle with lvl 1 maps is inexcusable. Alright, maybe not struggling per se, but killing normal mobs takes several hits, and I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be the case. I'd say my skill tree is decent.

This is my character (deadeye):
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ectoplasmaticgoo/characters

I have some item rarity items because I don't know how else to get decent gear.
I don't know where to farm gear. I don't know where to farm exp.

I also have bunch of curses activated upon hit cause I was dying easily.

I cannot buy gear as I'm poorer than... something really poor.

This is my stash. Other than tabula rasa, unsure if anything is worth keeping/selling. Also not sure how to check. Tried poe goods. Either everything I own is worth peanuts, or I am doing something wrong. Or both. I can sell some items for 2 chaos orbs, but in game people are selling stuff for 50+.

Tried watching/reading beginner guides, but they are too vague. 40+ minute video just to tell you what you already learn in game is exhausting and depressing. If I wanted to feel like that, I'd think about college.

What should I do to progress further in game? What should I focus on when looking for gear? My DPS is piss poor, anyway to increase it? Like, anything at this point helps. I'm new to this game, so I have almost no experience, thus I'm completely unaware about what I should do.

TL;DR: I suck, help me not suck.

Last bumped on Aug 23, 2017, 3:24:50 PM
"

Your profile is set to private. We can't see anything about your characters.

And if you take a good look at Poetrade you will see that you can buy some nice gear for 1 or 2 chaos each. Stuff that should make Tier 1 mapping much easier.
Last edited by Qiox on Aug 20, 2017, 1:07:18 PM
"
Qiox wrote:
"

My bad, should be good now hopefully. Thanks for letting me know.
Last edited by ectoplasmaticgoo on Aug 20, 2017, 1:08:04 PM
In general I can say that the learning in Path of Exile mostly comes from playing the game. Make mistakes, lean from them. I found two videos that could be very helpful, at least the first one. And they are also not that long.

This one explains very good how to create a build, whats necessary, where to start, etc.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2o2wW7xbQ

The other one is more kind of a reference, what items in game are good/bad, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVsiQG1y_dg

Maybe it's helpful in the beginning for you to start with a common build to learn from it. Just search the internet for a starter build, there are tons of it. Very cheap builds that can be played mostly with self found items are totem, traps and mine builds. Also some caster builds that are not dependend to expensive uniques.

I wouldn't recommend to start with a melee build as a beginner as it could be very frustrating when you don't find a good weapon and haven't much money to buy one when start endgame maps.
Last edited by Zalkortis on Aug 20, 2017, 1:12:03 PM
"
"
Qiox wrote:
"

My bad, should be good now hopefully. Thanks for letting me know.

Ok, and now I see the problem. Your gear has no +Life on it. Like, almost all of it has ZERO!

That is a huge mistake. At level 70 you should at least 3.5k life for a ranger. And that assumes that you just got to maps and didn't buy any gear yet.

When deciding what to equip your priorities need to be:

1) +Life, as much as you can get
2) Resists, so that you are capped at 75 in all three

Everything else after that is gravy.

For example, your boots have 6 life and 1 resist.

If you search Poetrade with a max price of 1 chaos, and the following:

- 80 or more Life
- 50 or more Total Resists
- Movement speed

You find 25 to choose from.

Repeat that kind of search on all your crap gear.

And you can only have 1 curse on an enemy at a time unless you have a passive or piece of gear that gives you +1 curses. Those multiple curses in your chest are not doing anything.

Also, unique items always have a downside. Usually it is not having +Life or +Resists. It is generally a mistake to put them in too many gear slots. Just use a couple that give some benefit particular to your build and every other slot should be rares with high life and resists.
And your passive tree has some problems.

Look at the area below Duelist and you see that you took 3 nodes that each have 6% evasion and armor and 4% life for a total of 18% and 12%.

Yet just below that are 3 nodes that give 5% life, 5% life, and 8% life with 24% evasion and armor for a total of 24% evasion and 18% life.

No travel was needed to get to them but you spent the same number of points to get less of the same.

You really need to focus on the +Life nodes in the passive tree a bit more. Taking that jewel slot path instead of the 3 life nodes below it (totaling 20% life and bonus life from flasks) is also hurting your survivability.

You probably think those life nodes don't give much. And that is true now because you have no life on your gear! Get base life on your gear and each 5% node will be adding at least 100 Life to your total.
Last edited by Qiox on Aug 20, 2017, 1:25:26 PM
"
Zalkortis wrote:
In general I can say that the learning in Path of Exile mostly comes from playing the game. Make mistakes, lean from them. I found two videos that could be very helpful, at least the first one. And they are also not that long.

This one explains very good how to create a build, whats necessary, where to start, etc.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2o2wW7xbQ

The other one is more kind of a reference, what items in game are good/bad, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVsiQG1y_dg

Maybe it's helpful in the beginning for you to start with a common build to learn from it. Just search the internet for a starter build, there are tons of it. Very cheap builds that can be played mostly with self found items are totem, traps and mine builds. Also some caster builds that are not dependend to expensive uniques.

I wouldn't recommend to start with a melee build as a beginner as it could be very frustrating when you don't find a good weapon and haven't much money to buy one when start endgame maps.

Thanks. I'll check the videos out and try to find cheap builds.

"
Qiox wrote:

Ok, and now I see the problem. Your gear has no +Life on it. Like, almost all of it has ZERO!

That is a huge mistake. At level 70 you should at least 3.5k life for a ranger. And that assumes that you just got to maps and didn't buy any gear yet.

When deciding what to equip your priorities need to be:

1) +Life, as much as you can get
2) Resists, so that you are capped at 75 in all three

Everything else after that is gravy.

For example, your boots have 6 life and 1 resist.

If you search Poetrade with a max price of 1 chaos, and the following:

- 80 or more Life
- 50 or more Total Resists
- Movement speed

You find 25 to choose from.

Repeat that kind of search on all your crap gear.

And you can only have 1 curse on an enemy at a time unless you have a passive or piece of gear that gives you +1 curses. Those multiple curses in your chest are not doing anything.

Also, unique items always have a downside. Usually it is not having +Life or +Resists. It is generally a mistake to put them in too many gear slots. Just use a couple that give some benefit particular to your build and every other slot should be rares with high life and resists.

Diablo came to bite me in the ass, huh. The more you know...

"
Qiox wrote:
And your passive tree has some problems.

Look at the area below Duelist and you see that you took 3 nodes that each have 6% evasion and armor and 4% life for a total of 18% and 12%.

Yet just below that are 3 nodes that give 5% life, 5% life, and 8% life with 24% evasion and armor for a total of 24% evasion and 18% life.

No travel was needed to get to them but you spent the same number of points to get less of the same.

You really need to focus on the +Life nodes in the passive tree a bit more. Taking that jewel slot path instead of the 3 life nodes below it (totaling 20% life and bonus life from flasks) is also hurting your survivability.

You probably think those life nodes don't give much. And that is true now because you have no life on your gear! Get base life on your gear and each 5% node will be adding at least 100 Life to your total.

Thanks for feedback. I guess I'll have to respec some points, if possible.

What about DPS then? Cause it was mentioned no where, meaning I shouldn't worry about it or what?
Just play the game, read the stuff... use the ingame help panel...check Ziggyd's vids on youtube (he has content on pretty much everything), drop in streams... favorite sites like poewiki, ask questions if u don't understand smth in global etc. Poe is a very knowledge based game with a lot of depth. You don't need to know everything from the get-go, u will slowly learn.

Also everything depends on ur build - Gear/flasks/skill gems/bandit reward/enchants/skill tree/ascendancies/jewels and pantheon all work together to create your build and synergize. You have to look at everything together which is almost impossible for a nub, so copy one of the beginner friendly/budget builds from the builds forum and follow the guide and you will learn during playing it, to later create your own chars etc.
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
Last edited by Paldamus on Aug 20, 2017, 1:39:02 PM
"
What about DPS then? Cause it was mentioned no where, meaning I shouldn't worry about it or what?

You are using a low dps bow. It is nice for the 1 extra arrow, but since you are using GMP already, is the loss of dps really worth it?

You can buy a Lioneye's Glare for less than 1 alch and it will probably triple your dps. It will also allow you to ignore +accuracy passives since it has the property that you never miss.

Put your 5link attack skill in your chest, or some other 5 link chest that you buy and don't worry about the links in the new bow for now.

Oh and that quiver you have is useless. You can easily get something better for cheap.
"
Paldamus wrote:
Just play the game, read the stuff... use the ingame help panel...check Ziggyd's vids on youtube (he has content on pretty much everything), drop in streams... favorite sites like poewiki, ask questions if u don't understand smth in global etc. Poe is a very knowledge based game with a lot of depth. You don't need to know everything from the get-go, u will slowly learn.

Also everything depends on ur build - Gear/flasks/skill gems/bandit reward/enchants/skill tree/ascendancies/jewels and pantheon all work together to create your build and synergize. You have to look at everything together which is almost impossible for a nub, so copy one of the beginner friendly/budget builds from the builds forum and follow the guide and you will learn during playing it, to later create your own chars etc.

Yeah, should have done that from the beginning, not just freelance stuff. Will check the streamer out, thanks.

"
Qiox wrote:
"

You are using a low dps bow. It is nice for the 1 extra arrow, but since you are using GMP already, is the loss of dps really worth it?

You can buy a Lioneye's Glare for less than 1 alch and it will probably triple your dps. It will also allow you to ignore +accuracy passives since it has the property that you never miss.

Put your 5link attack skill in your chest, or some other 5 link chest that you buy and don't worry about the links in the new bow for now.

Oh and that quiver you have is useless. You can easily get something better for cheap.

Can I buy the gear online somehow or just in game? Not really sure how the trading works here.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info