I'm new, unsure how to progress.

go to the website poe.trade punch in the things you want and click search, If you see soemthing you want click whisper and it gets copied to your clipboard, alt tab back in game and hit enter then ctrl+v to paste the clipboard. Hit enter again and wait for person to respond. If no response within a minute find a different seller in poe.trade. If they respond you will be invited to their group, accept that and right click their icon in upper left corner and select visit hideout. When in the hideout wait for the seller to open trade with you and you pay him the price for the item same time as you get the item. Doublecheck that it is indeed the item you wanted before clicking accept. Happy trading

You want rings with + physical damage, life and resists. Bonus if you get attack speed crit chance crit multi not not that high req for a new player. Your quiver needs replacement asap. Try finding one with life and good resists. You can get a dps quiver later when your other gear is better. Swap out your belt with either a leather belt with high life and resists or a rustic sash with the same. The current belt you are using serves you almost no purpose.

For your passive tree stop going so hard for movement speed nodes. Unless you are a skilled player your main goal should be life nodes and some resist nodes to keep your resists maxed. Movement speed is for speed farming and if you are struggling to do t1 maps you are not speed farming anyway.

Your 5 Link bow is nice now but your gem selection is bad. You should not use increased rarity gem whatsoever if you are struggling. That is mainly used by magic finders once their build have enough damage to speed farm without the damage from the gems.

I suggest using Tornado shot -> Physical Projectile Attack Damage Support -> Greater multiple projectiles -> faster attacks -> Fifth gem could be Added fire damage for now until you get a 6 link then swap it out for physical to lightning + weapon elemental damage. I would not recommend brutality at all.

Get an atziri's promise flask for a little extra leech and good damage boost. It should be very cheap.

Aim to replace your helmet with either a rat's nest or a rare one with life and resists. Chest piece is easy choise. Go for queen of the forest. It is a simple choise for a new archer player.

Last edited by arknath on Aug 20, 2017, 2:50:41 PM
I think these specific suggestions to the OP about his current gear won't serve him very well, because he might get the items recommended for his specific character atm, but he won't understand why he's getting them or understand the broader scope of the game. Overloading a nub with info is not a good thing and he should go slowly and research things as he goes to really start putting the big picture together.
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
Last edited by Paldamus on Aug 21, 2017, 5:42:47 AM
Here are some conceptual take-away bits you can keep in your mind at all times to help you:

1. This game will not do anything for you - including defenses.

"
It is entirely up to you to fill out defenses, and requires -ample- investment in the passive tree (consider things like +life a priority - not an afterthought to your damage).

2. This game is built around the existence of the economy.

"
Unless you have the highest luck of anyone around you'll find that your own gear often doesn't hold a candle to what you can find on poe.trade. (Eventually you'll get good enough to work with less in some cases, as SSF players do). The economy works in such a way that it is usually not even worth using currency items on your own gear and instead spending it all on guaranteed upgrades.

3. Skill gem synergy.

"
In the vast majority of builds you are going to want to be putting your active skill gems in link with supports that augment or improve the skill.

Remember the bullet points, and press onward and upward!

Edit: Quote boxes for better post layout.
"Life is weighted dice. You have some control over the outcome, but you'll never win if you don't roll."
Last edited by Frosthaven83 on Aug 21, 2017, 6:30:05 AM
Hey guys.

Thanks for all responses, appreciate the help. I took suggestions into account and switched some things around. It's not nearly perfect, but it's been better. I re-speced some passive skill points and got some better gear from other people. I wish I knew how simple it was to buy/sell before I spent my 5 link prophecies...

anyhow...

I still have some questions.

1) Flasks. I am not sure which ones I should get. I got Atziri's promise, it's really cool. I also have 2 health regen and 2 flasks that give me evasion and dodge chance. Tried reading some guides, but flasks recommended are well over my budget, I only have 11 chaos.

2) Yellow enemies, sometimes the text below their name/bar is colored, why is that?

3) How do I counter health leach mobs? It's usually #1 reason I die. Bought diamond flask that removes bleeding, I assume that will do the trick.
Last edited by ectoplasmaticgoo on Aug 21, 2017, 12:22:52 PM
Take a look at this tornado shot guide:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041989
Wow, what a community. :) You've gotten all the info you need, just thought I'd add that I like bow builds; all my own, so not awesome, lol; And if you want the dps, you HAVE to sacrifice HP for damage nodes on the tree. Get it all from your gear if you can, then you can take the dps nodes on the tree. I can run a Tornado Shot build with a mild 50k dps, two cwdt setups, with 1.6k hp/450 ES....very successfully in T14 or so maps. Just gotta get used to the game. You will die easy in this game if you look at your map instead of your character for a split second, lol.

The game will come to you. You've gotten WAY better advice than when I started. :) Subtle changes can make a big difference though. Some of the deepest game mechanics implemented I've ever seen. Good luck and hope you stay around. :)
"
Darthbones wrote:
Take a look at this tornado shot guide:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041989

Quite useful, thanks!
"
99Pitbull99 wrote:
Wow, what a community. :) You've gotten all the info you need, just thought I'd add that I like bow builds; all my own, so not awesome, lol; And if you want the dps, you HAVE to sacrifice HP for damage nodes on the tree. Get it all from your gear if you can, then you can take the dps nodes on the tree. I can run a Tornado Shot build with a mild 50k dps, two cwdt setups, with 1.6k hp/450 ES....very successfully in T14 or so maps. Just gotta get used to the game. You will die easy in this game if you look at your map instead of your character for a split second, lol.

The game will come to you. You've gotten WAY better advice than when I started. :) Subtle changes can make a big difference though. Some of the deepest game mechanics implemented I've ever seen. Good luck and hope you stay around. :)

Yea, the help has been immense, defo didn't expect that. One person was even kind enough to give me some good gear and currency.

I'm not sure how you managed to get 50k DPS. My tornado is 8.5k, I could go 10k with hatred. Even if I traded all my health for DMG, I can't see it go higher than 20k. Do better gear and more links really make that big of a difference or is there more to it?
In this game, getting to 100% with even one piece of gear is extremely hard. You have 10 gear slots to fill and a dozen or more gems to add into the mess. The upper limit is indeed very high

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info