[3.0] The Gatling Storm Burster - MOM-Crit-Life 1,8 Millions DPS Inquisitor

INTRO

The build has undergo a restyle in terms of survivability with a few changes in the tree, and preferring Pious Path as ascendancy.
Storm Burst is very nice skill, both for the visive effect and for the intriguing mechanic. I’d say it leads to a totally different playstyle.
Unfortunately play time is very limited, I’m still lvl 83 but successfully mapping in T10-11 at the moment.

Most of the changes in this guide come from the community feedback, so please keep on playing and feed this guide!

GENERAL INFO

Stats
  • Easily reach 6k EHP
  • 2k Mana with 350 mana/sec
  • 1,8 Millions dps
  • MOM
  • 5 jewel slots

Pros & Cons
+ New skill, funny to use and can only be improved the more we use and experiment on it
+ 172% increased life
+ Cheap
+ 6 Power Charges always on
+ 7 projectiles per cast
+ Godly in breaches

- Reflect map may be an issue even with Vaal Pact
- Very cheap, but expensive if you want to shine

What is this build about
Build basics

I’ve opted for a life based (considering the nerf of ES and boost of life on gear) crit build focused only on Storm Burst. Lightning based auras are used to increase the base damage of the projectile and consequently the explosion.

Currently using a Call of the Brotherhood, as I really like the freeze effect along whit its defensive potential.

The exclusion of the Cast while channeling is due to the mechanic of the skill: you have to cast and stop cast and stop in order to reach the potential (250% more multiplier) of the skill, channeling means casting without interruption -> no explosions.

Cast While Channeling
can be still a nice variation, I’ve not tested it yet, because I like the skill alone. I’ve created a CWC variation in the tree sections for further informations.

Skill info and mechanics

While playing and testing different gems, I’ve noticed that it has a nice interaction with GMP. The additional projectiles are added in sequence and not in radius, making it behave like spell echo: with GMP equipped you have a gatling gun effect!
So my idea was to mainly increase the number of projectlies and overlapping effect.

You can do this in 3 way:
- Increasing the number of projectiles per cast
- Increasing the AOE
- Increasing the cast speed

So basically the more projectile we cast (cast speed and proj number) the more overlapping explosions we have. The bigger the AOE (and AOE damage) the more overlapping explosions and damage we have.
So we are increasing the number of projectiles using GMP and, currently, a Snakepit.
We are taking AOE and AOE Damage both from tree and gear (The Rippling Thoughts and the Carcass Jack).
Cast speed comes from our Ascendancy (Pious Path).

DAMAGE CALCULATION

Average damage of each explosion is 37k with Atziri’s Promise and Diamon Flask on, with no Jewels and no amulet.
Thanks to GMP and Snakepit we have a total of 7 projectiles per cast at a cast speed of 2,98 seconds.
The total dps is 771k
If we add a Choir of Storm and 5 jewels we have an average damage of each explosion of 62k
The total dps is 1,29 Milions
If we have a vinktars average damage is 68k for a total dps is 1,4 Milions
A dying sun will pop us up to 1,8 Millions
Numbers seems nice 

PasteBin
The following is a PasteBin link for the full build to import in Path of Building and see where the dps comes from:

VIDEOS

Spoiler

GEAR, GEMS, TREE, LEVELLING

Gear

Required Gear
There is no required. But anyway a doryani's invitation is strongly recommended due to the life leech mod. No other source of life leech are referenced in this build, unless you wanna drop Assasin's Mark for Warlord's Mark. Alternatively a Doryani’s Catalyst may be used for the same purpose, losing the leech from gear (which can still be obtained from flasks and curses).
Following you can find the suggested gear and the uniques I believe best suit this build.

On gear you must look for Life + Crit + faster casting + Light/ele damage, obviously once you have capped your elemental resistances. ES based gear is the best for coloring issue + adding another layer of EHP pool.
Body Armor:
Carcass Jack,
The huge AOE damage and radius, the easy to craft G-G-B-B-B-B compared to other chests, life and resist make it the BIS for this build
Helmet:
whatever with life and resists, mana and intelligence are usefull for mana sustaining issue. There are a few uniques who can increase the dps, but losing life and res. Would grab a rare ES based helmet here for defensive purpose

Gloves:
At the moment I’m using a pair of Winds of Change. The projectile damage and projectile speed are very good and grant a decent amount of life.
Maligaro’s Virtuosity grant higher dps compared to Winds of Change, but they lack life and projectile speed.
Atziri Acuity is the expensive option, it allows you to drop vaal pact, save several points to spend in life elsewhere and damage (see Atziri Acuity Variation tree)

Boots:
A rare boots with life and resist + mov speed are a nice option here. Kaom's Roots,
this is a very nice option if you can afford resistances elsewhere: huge life and freeze/stun immunity are OP. Drawback are the lack resistances and the losing of a 4L (CWDT setup)
Mutewind and Inya’s Epiphany are also a viable option.

Weapon:
After mapping while dual wielding with a couple of rare wands with decent mods, I’ve decided to go for 1 weapon and 1 Shield.

The Rippling Thoughts is the weapon I’ve choosen.
New, quite cheap and the Storm Cascade is very nice to spread your curse: in this weapon is where I’ve set the Herald of Ice + Curse on Hit + Assassin’s Mark. In this way the curse on hit is applied both from HoI and from Storm Cascade which is casted every second with our attack (whirling blades)
Divinarius is also available and cheap, but still prefer The Rippling Thoughts.
Void Battery is probably the most powerful weapon for the build. Dual wielding is granting 8 PC which are a lot, and dps increase is huge. We are losing whirling blades anyway and they are expensive
Doryani Catalyst is a very nice and cheaper option which also provides an high leech.
The Unshattered Will is a cheap option nowadays, and the buff from the Harbinger of Focus is very nice for damage mitigation. A rare ES shield can provide more damage if it comes with spell dmg and crit and higher life (but such shield may be expensive) and we lose the Harbringer.

Belt:
Doryani’s Invitation,
with the lightning damage leech is the best at this moment

Amulet:
Focus on life, resist and crit chance/multi here.
Choir of Storm has lost its OP feature, but stil valid as it gives 75% crit chance and increased lightning damage which increase nicely our dps plus the storm bolt which will increase our total dps.

Rings:
As anticipated, I’m actually using a Call of the Brotherhood and a Snakepit basically for the freeze ability and the additional projectile. Both are cheap
Sibyl's Lament can be used to mitigate the reflected damage.
You can also use a rare ring where you should focus on life and resists and lighthing/ele damage when possible.
Opal ring is obviously the best base, which should be crafted with the essence in order to add crit multi.

Flask:
A seething life flask is necessary
Diamond Flask is our best friend
Vessel of Vinktar will increase a lot our dps, plus the shock ability will grant us using Elemental Focus on boss fights
Atziri's Promise is cheap and adds dps and leech, grab one
Any mana pots will help you sustain mana and MOM
Dying Sun is the BIS. Seems designed on this skill (not required)

Surgeon's and of Stauching are the mods we're looking for whenever we can

Jewels:
On rare jewels focus on: spell crit multi, lightning crit multi. Last mods can be any depending on your budget: Life, area damage, ele/spell/lightning damage, projectile speed cast speed, resistances, attributes
If you can afford it, a Blue Dream / Nightmare jewel is to place in the Witch jewel slot for easy PC generation, even if I’ve never had any issue with PC, always full and up 100% of time.

My Current Gear

Gems and Links

Chest
Storm Burst – GMP – Added Lightning Damage – Controlled Destruction – Increased Critical Damage – Concentrated Effect
For Boss fights:
Storm Burst – GMP – Added Lightning Damage – Controlled Destruction – Elemental Focus – Concentrated Effect
You can switch concentrated effect for increased AOE/Crit gem on packs, but prefer concentrated effect on boss

Helmet
Orb of Storm – Increased Crit Strikes – Power Charge on Crit – Arcane Surge (lvl7).
In this way we have Arcane surge up whenever we cast orb of storm
You can drop Assassin's Mark if you have a Blue Nightmare jewel (in the witch node). Self generating power charges will let you run other curse (Warlord’s Mark for leech) instead for more defenses.
Gloves
Whirling Blades – Faster Attack – Fortify – Vaal Lightning Trap
Weapon
Herald of Thunder/Ice – Curse on Hit – Assassin’s Mark
Curse on Hit will also apply to Storm Cascade

Shield
Wrath – Lightning Golem - Enlighten

Boots
CWDT + Immortal Call + Increased Duration + Frost Wall
I really like frost wall and the defensive it grants! Saved me a lot of times
This set-up can be dropped if you prefer a pair of Kaom’s Roots

Class – Tree – Bandits – Pantheon

Class

Considering the fact I wanted to make it crit, the most suiting classes are the Assassin and Inquisitor, with the latter seeming to be slightly more dps oriented despite the lower crit chance.
So Ascendancy is the Inquisitor with: Inevitable Judgment and Pious Path (in order of importance).
Pious Path has been choosen in order to sustain mana making the build more resilient.

Tree

Tree is quite basic as you can see, and can be used with different skills:
Tree link

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.0/AAAABAUBABzcEFiXLQj0DdGPGqyXvOrvfIV744S2-o5kwGYmlWZUm7WExfId7-vhcwSzPV9JT4w2216uswVCSVGFMpUuRZ1_xmaeGjiCmwQHES0y0ZBVUDBrt3BSYeKLjDwFY0MbyF3yUlPB8-vuHRTfhk8E7Ty8qmpDD6sWQPDVhX1Vxg_ELJzwH5UgidPVpnyD-d0tH0yzQZbximSdwJo6WI_66_UHHpJuYqyXlc_dApaD20VHuMrsODrYFr8dg5tuwzqiozY9Fm8gbqIAEZZVSzt8vFb60myMmuAwW9J8U1LQH-NqJIsqOHYRnaoqC9n896bQ9SmLCaqaOw5IJy-AMClP

Shadow Version

Someone has asked for a Shadow variant. Everything would stay the same, the only changes are in the starting of the tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.0/AAAABAYBABzcEFiXLQj0DdGPGqyXvOrvfIV744S2-o5kwGYmlWZU8h3v6-FzSosEsz1fIzZJTxXnjDbbXq6zBUJJUfBrhTKVLkWdf8Zmnho4gpsEB5eXXyoRLTLRkFVQMGu3cFJh4ouMMjI8BWNDG8hd8lJTwfPr7h0U2YbtPLyqakMWQBCS8NWFfVXGD8QsnPAflSCJ09WmbIx8g_ndUxAtH0yzF7DjakV8c7NBlvGKZJ3AmjpYj_rr9QceYqyXlc_dg9tFR7jK7Dg62LxvFr8dg6KjNj0WbyBuogARllVLO3z60uvkmuAwW1NS0B92EZ2qKgvZ_Pem0PUJqpo7DkgnLylP
Please note that i've not tested and i'm not gonna test this variant. Moreover as an Assassin you’re losing a lot of mana regen. You can be easily get your mana drained off and killed.

Bandits

Alira is the better option with crit multi (dps) mana regen and resistances (defense).
Other options may be Kraytin or kill all and use the points for a jewel .

Pantheon

• Soul of Yugul for the reduced reflected damage taken (nothing more to say here)
  • Soul of Arakaali or Soul of the Brine King. Currently using the first one. Non so powerfull as you would expect from a Major God..

Cast While Channeling Variation

VERSION NOT TESTED
Storm Burst can also be used in combination with Cast While Channeling. I'd suggest using it in combination with Ball Lightning
It this case i'll suggest the following tree, focus in projectile damage and discarding AOE nodes as no more necessary.

No changes in gear
Gems and Link

In this situation the main links will be, in order of importance:
Storm Burst - Cast While Channeling - Ball Lightning – Controlled destruction - Faster Projectiles/GMP - Increased Critical Damage
Switch Faster Projectiles/GMP with slower projectiles against bosses and Increased Critical Damage with Elemental Focus

Step-by-step Levelling Guide
Spoiler
First of all don't waste currency in coloring/linking your starting gear. Use ES base gear for the right colors.
Consider I was able to do maps up to T8 with a 4L, so a 4L untill act 10 is not necessary!
Grab whatever item gives you spell/lightning/ele damage and use Lightning Tendrils and Flame Totem to level up.

Kill Gravicious and grab Storm Burst. Start to use Wrath and when available use Blasphemy + Assassin's Mark or Warlord's Mark.
GMP is the first link you need for Storm Burst, take is as soon as possible.
Take also Righteous Providence after completing the Lab.
Lightning Golem should be in your set-up now

Orb of Storm + Power Charge on Critical will help you do the cruel Lab and take Inevitable Judgment
Upgrade your gear to whatever the mobs drop you. Craft a Stauching life flask and use a Diamond one.
Level 70 Tree
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.0/AAAABAUAAJctFm8N0bzqakPvfBZA8NXjhClPhX3AZiaVVcY3Ryyc8h2VIInTCarhcwSzPV_53VVLFr8tH0yzSU_bXq6zBUKa4LyqZJ3AmoUyg9tirJUu-tKP-uv1MtEHHn_Gnaqio5eVgpsqCwQH2fxd8jrYa7cOSGHiJIsRLXyDNj2QVVAwIG5wUuNqQZaLjCcvmjtsjIw27DjQ9TwFY0MRlhvISVHDOkVHUlNmnkWdU1LB8yo4D6vr7qIA

Before mapping and Vaal Pact, be sure you have a Doryani's for the leech.
A Sibyl's Lament can be used for the reflection issue.

Tips
Here you can find a few tips that may be useful:
Spoiler

- You can use a Storm Prison and a Jaws of Agony in your secondary weapon slot. They will allow you to fast generate 7 Power Charges by just throwing traps
- Using a Herlad+ Ice Bite + Curse on Hit + "Curse" is a nice way for a smooth levelling as it spreads curse in a better way and help us gain frenzy charges

CHANGELOG

Here is a changelog section, mostly to track every changes/updates/improvement to the build coming from the user experience and your suggestions!
Spoiler
- Added Arcane Surge as support gem in the movement/PCOC set-up (thanks to qruwka)
- Corrected the weapon slot 2 and boots gem set-up (thanks to Venom368)
- I've currently respec the 4 MOM nodes. Feel safer with available mana to cast
- Added the Shadow-Assassin version
- Build re-worked: got MOM, Pious Path and go with weapon + shield for higher survivability
(special thanks to all of you)

END

In the spoiler below there is the old guide, just in order to keep track of the evolution in the guide.
Old version

INTRO

August is summer break in Italy, and playing from an Intel I3 laptop with no dedicated gpu: basically I’m playing a minecraft version of PoE ^^ (that explains the lack of pictures etc). This machine allows me to lag at every mob encounter, making it a lot less resilent than it really is. Never the less, I’m having quite fun with Storm burst, but the game is crashing at every instance changing/pack encounter, and this is not making me shine, marking the levelling-up harder than it should be.

This build is my league started in Harbinger

I really really appreciate any feedback suggestion. The aim of this build is to improve our experience with this new skill. I've dropped a few consideration here, hope you guys can rise the quality of this build with everything that passes through your mind!

GENERAL INFO

Stats
  • Easily reach 6k life
  • 2k Mana with almost no extra mana from gear
  • 400k dps of a single explosion (if in the expensive variation)
  • 275k dps if using double Divinarius (5chaos expense)
  • MOM (available variant)

Pros & Cons
+ New skill, funny to use and can only be improved the more we use and experiment on it
+ 180% increased life
+ Cheap (currently mapping at lvl 70 with no uniques and on a 4l)
+ 400k of a single explosion dps (and they overlap a lot)
+ Using ES gear (easy for coloring) with T1 life roll will grant an huge ES+HP pool
+ Godly in breaches
- Reflect map may be an issue from time to time
- Vaal Pact unless you have Atziri's Acuity
- Very cheap, but expensive if you want to shine

What is this build about
Build basics

I’ve opted for a life based (considering the nerf of ES and boost of life on gear) crit build focused only on Storm Burst for dealing damage and not using it with CWC. Lightning based auras are used to increase the base damage of the projectile and consequently the explosion.
The exclusion of the Cast while channeling is due to the mechanic of the skill: you have to cast and stop cast and stop in order to reach the potential (250% more multiplier) of the skill, channeling means casting without interruption -> no explosions. The projectile by itself has a very very low dps and base cast speed to be used as a channeling skill to proc a secondary spell.

Cast While Channeling
can be still a nice variation, I’ve not tested it yet, because I like the skill alone and went stubborn into maximize its potential. Read the CWC variation in the tree sections for further informations.
Regarding this build, I’ve also created different tree regarding the gear used.
In its base concept, this build is a league starter: it is CHEAP!!
You can do end game content with only a Divinarius (actually 3c each) and a Doryani's Invitation (1chaos).
In the tree section there are 4 tree variation: a base and a MOM one can be used with every kind of gear.
If you have an Atziri's Acuity you can look at the related tree.
More over there is a Cold conversion variant which can be used with Call of the Brotherhood and a Snakepit for add proj (if you can afford ele res elsewhere, not mandatory)

Skill info and mechanics

While playing and testing different gems, I’ve noticed that it has a nice interaction with GMP. The additional projectiles are added in sequence and not in radius, making it behave like spell echo: with GMP equipped you have a gatling gun effect!
So my idea was to increase the number of projectlies and overlapping effect rather than increasing the base damage by 10% of the value of the supporting gem/gear. You can do this in 3 way:
- Increasing the number of proj per cast
- Increasing the AOE
- Increasing the cast speed
So basically the more projectile we cast (cast speed and proj number) the more overlapping explosions. The bigger the AOE (and AOE damage) the more overlapping explosions and damage we have.
So I’ve focused firstly in AOE then in number of proj (GMP and if affordable the Dying Sun), the latter is the cast speed (trying to get it from gear as much as possible).

LEVELLING

PasteBin
The following is a PasteBin link for the full build to import in Path of Building:

This build has a 450k dps for each single explosion due to the dual Void Battery and testing slower projectiles instead of GMP.
Gear - Links - Tree - Variations
Gear

Required Gear
There is no required. But anyway a doryani's catalyst or doryani's invitation are strongly recommended due to the life leech mod. No other source of life leech are suggested in this build, unless you wanna drop Assasin's Mark for Warlord's Mark on your Blasphemy set-up
Following you can find the suggested gear and the uniques i believe best suit this build.

On gear you must look for Life + Crit + faster casting + Light/ele damage, obviously once you have capped your elemental resistances. ES based gear is the best for coloring issue + adding another layer of EHP pool.
Body Armor:
Carcass Jack,
The huge AOE damage and radius, the easy to craft G-B-B-B-B-B compared to other chests, life and resist make it the BIS for this build
Helmet:
whatever with life e resist, mana and intelligence are usefull for mana sustaining issue. There are a few uniques who can increase the dps, but losing life and res. Would grab a rare here for defense purpose

Gloves:
Atziri Acuity is the BIS, it allows you to drop vaal pact, save 10ish points to spend in life elsewhere and damage (see Atziri Acuity Variation tree)
Another good pair of gloves is Maligaro Virtuosity. A rare fingerless silk gloves may also do the job, if you need life and resists

Boots:
Kaom's Roots,
this is what I'm using at the moment for life and survivability. Mutewind and Inya’s Epiphany are also a nice option. Not mentioning Skyforth as PC generation is better with Blue Nightmare. A rare boots with life and resist + mov speed are a nice option here.

Weapon:
I suggest to go dual wielding.
Dual Void Battery is the BIS for the build. 8 PC are a lot, and dps increase is huge.
Dual Doryani Catalyst is a very nice and cheaper option which also provides an high leech.
Divinarius is also available and way cheaper at this moment, best choice when starting mapping.
A shield with 100+lif 90+spell crit and damage is still an option, for the more tank oriented version while losing a notable amount of dps.
The Unshattered Will is decent but not the best option a rare shield provide a lot more damage if it comes with spell dmg and crit. Moreover it’s 200chaos right now. It doesn’t worth to be taken into consideration at this price.

Belt:
Doryani’s Invitation,
with the lightning damage leech is the best at this moment

Amulet:
Focus on life, resist and crit chance here. Choir of Storm has lost its OP feature, but stil valid as it gives 75% crit chance and increased lightning damage

Rings:
Nothing particular here, focus on life and resists and lighthing/ele damage when possible. Sibyl's Lament can be used to mitigate the reflected damage. Opal ring is obviously the best base

Flask:
A seething life flas is usefull
Diamond Flask is our best friend unless we reach an high enough crit chance
Silver Flask will be in the place of the Diamond one
Atziri's Promise is cheap and adds dps and leech, grab one
Dying Sun is the BIS. Seems designed on this skill
Any mana pots will help you sustain mana until mid-end contents
Surgeon's and of Stauching are the mods we're looking for whenever we can

Jewels:
If possible a Blue Dream / Nightmare to place in the Witch jewel slot.
On rare jewels focus on life, spell crit/multi, lightning/ele damage and cast speed

Gems and Links

Chest
Storm Burst – GMP – Increased Crit strikes – Controlled Destruction – Faster Casting – Added Lightning Damage
For Boss fights:
Storm Burst – GMP – Concentrated Effect - Controlled Destruction - Increased Crit Damage – Added Lightning Damage
Slower projectiles in my opinion is not an option unless you're willing to face boss in close combat. In this case switch GMP with Slower Projectiles
If you have a secondary source of shock (Vinktar or Vaal Lightning Trap) switch Added Lightning Damage with Elemental Focus

Helmet
Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark - Lightning Golem
You can avoid Assassin's Mark if you have a pair of Skyforth or better a Blue Nightmare jewel (in the witch node). Self generating power charges will let you run Projectile Weakness instead for more dps output.
Gloves
Orb of storm + Power Charge on Crit + Increased Critical Strikes + Increased Duration/Arcane Surge
A good rare pair of gloves crafted with Essence of Horror can do the job
Weapon slot
1)
Lightning Warp + Reduced DUration + Swift Affliction
or Whirling blades + faster attack + fortify
2) Wrath + Enlighten + Vaal Lightning Trap
Boots
CWDT + Immortal Call + Increased Duration + Vall Haste if not using Kaoms Roots

Class – Tree – Bandits – Pantheon

Class

Considering the fact I wanted to make it crit, the most suiting classes are the Assassin and Inquisitor, with the latter seeming to being slightly more dps oriented despite the lower crit chance. Moreover the Inevitable Judgment notable seems not to be taken into consideration by Path of Building in dps calculation, making the dps way more higher
So Ascendancy is the Inquisitor with: Righteous Providence – Inevitable Judgment – Intruments of Virtue – Augury of Penitence (in order of importance).
Wearing a pair of Atziri Acuity will may change the tree and the Ascendancy notable, making the build go life regen, respect Vaal Pact and taking Pious Path if searching for more tankiness and huge cast speed (not mandatory).

Tree

Currently I'd suggest you to go for the basic tree. MOM, at least in early mapping, is very likely to drain all your mana, making you unable to cast and a lot less safe. I personally prefer having mana to use for casting/escaping. MOM can be taken into cosideration with about 1k free mana unreserverd in my opinion

Atziri's Acuity Version

In this version i've taken into consideration the Atziri's Acuity.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.0/AAAABAUBABzcEFiXLQj0DdGPGqyXvOrvfIV70PVsjI5kwGYmlSL08h3v66EvBLMOSFVLjDbbXq6zSVGFMpUuvopFnX_GZp4aOIKbBAcRLTLRkFVQMGu3cFJh4ouMPAVjQxvIXfJSUx2D6-6TJ0PIHRQWb-w47Ty8qmpDFkBsC4V9VcYPxCycUELwHwmqfIOaO0lPTLM26U8EKYvjakGW8YowW9-GgDA7fKIAg9vAmo_66_UHHpJu-d2io5eVz90CljpYuMp2ETrYJKopT5_fm27VpjY9RUdtGRGWV5S8Vp2ql_Q9Xycv0nxTUtAfmuD60iBuKgvZ_PemZlRTNWSd8NXjhLb6YqwWvw==
Considering this is the "Expensive Version" you should also have a Blue Nightmare jewel
Those 2 expensive uniques will make us get rid of Assassin's Mark for Projectile Weakeness or Herald of Ice in hexproof situation.
Moreover in this way we regenerate 300 life per second, pretty usefull in lab.
The tree presents 2 more jewel slots.

Bandits

Kraityin seems to be the better option with more dps (cast speed) and more defense (mov speed and a bit of dodge).
Kill all may also be an option and use the points for a jewel .

Pantheon

• Soul of Yugul for the reduced reflected damage taken (nothing more to say here)
  • Soul of Arakaali or Soul of the Brine King. Currently using the first one. Non so powerfull as you would expect from a Major God..

Cast While Channeling Variation

VERSION NOT YET TESTED
Storm Burst can also be used in combination with Cast While Channeling. I'd suggest using it in combination with Ball Lightning
It this case i'll suggest the following tree, focuse in projectile damage and discarding AOE nodes as no more necessary.

No changes in gear, but you can add Winds of Change as gloves, which will increase the damage of projectiles
Gems and Link

In this situation the main links will be, in order of importance:
Storm Burst - Cast While Channeling - Ball LIghtning - Increased Critical Strike - Faster Projectiles/GMP - Increased Critical Damage
Switch Faster Projectiles/GMP with slower projectiles against bosses

Step-by-step Levelling Guide
Spoiler
First of all don't waste currency in coloring/linking your starting gear. Use ES base gear for the right color. Consider i'm actually doing maps with a 4L, so a 4L untill act 8 is not necessary!
Grab whatever item gives you spell/lightning/ele damage and use Lightning Tendrils and Flame Totem to level up.

Kill Gravicious and grab Storm Burst. Start to use Wrath and when available use Blasphemy + Assassin's Mark or Warlord's Mark.
GMP is the first link you need for Storm Burst, take is as soon as possible.
Take also Righteous Providence after completing the Lab.
Lightning Golem should be in your set-up now

Orb of Storm + Power Charge on Critical will help you do the cruel Lab and take Inevitable Judgment
Upgrade your gear to whatever the mobs drop you. Craft a Stauching life flask and use a Diamon one.

Before mapping and Vaal Pact, be sure you have a Doryani's (catalyst or invitation) for the leech.
A Sibyl's Lament can be used for the reflection issue.

Tips
Here you can find a few tips that may be useful:
Spoiler

- You can use a Storm Prison and a Jaws of Agony in your secondary weapon slot. They will allow you to fast generate 7 Power Charges by just throwing traps
- Using a cheap Call of the Brotherhood + Ice Bite + Curse on Hit + "Curse" it's a nice way for a smooth levelling as it spreads curse in a better way and help us gain frenzy charges

OUTRO

I'll improve the quality of this build whenever i can, hopefully with videos when i'll be back home with my gaming machine.

CHANGELOG

Here is a changelog section, mostly to track every changes/updates/improvement to the build coming from the user experience and your suggestions!
Spoiler
- Added Arcane Surge as support gem in the movement/PCOC set-up (thanks to qruwka)
- Corrected the weapon slot 2 and boots gem set-up (thanks to Venom368)
- I've currently respec the 4 MOM nodes. Feel safer with available mana to cast
- Added the Shadow-Assassin version

Last edited by Effe86 on Oct 11, 2017, 11:46:55 PM
Last bumped on Mar 24, 2018, 5:45:45 PM
Guide updated with:
- Levelling section
- Direct link to finished build on Path of Building
- Improved trees
- Stats
- 450k dps of a single explosion!! (explosions overlap)
Last edited by Effe86 on Aug 13, 2017, 10:46:29 AM
Swap Inc Duration in your Orb of Storm setup for Arcane Surge and look at the numbers.

Still those numbers are good on paper but you have no defense beside VP.
How does this looks on HC?
"
Swap Inc Duration in your Orb of Storm setup for Arcane Surge and look at the numbers.

Still those numbers are good on paper but you have no defense beside VP.

Nice tip the Arcane Surge one, will try it for sure!
Yes, defense relies basically on leech and on a decent, as most spellcaster builds do. With ES gear you should be able to reach 6k life + 1,5k ES. Hard hitting boss should be faced from distance.
A few damage nodes can be dropper for more life eventually.

There is also MOM as a defense, do not forget it :)
Last edited by Effe86 on Aug 13, 2017, 3:31:56 PM
"
Tecken1407 wrote:
How does this looks on HC?

For sure you should modify the tree a bit for HC.

Something like this should be a start:

221% increased max life and an additional 10% reduce reflected damage taken

Also a Sibyl's Lamet and Vinktar flask should be a must in the build
Last edited by Effe86 on Aug 13, 2017, 3:59:41 PM
Interesting guide. Can you make update your privacy setting so we can see your characters?
+ to previous message
and can u add some videos?
cause i swapped from SB to ele bladevortex due to zero dps with burst and lack of clearspeed.
Hello! Thank you for your interest!
You can now see my char, IGN Effe_The_Light

Regarding videos, as I wrote in the intro, i'm currently playing with a bad machine (having 12 FPS). Will update as soon as I can.

About DPS, I struggled untill I added increased crit strike in my 4l setup, making Inevitable Judgment proc very often.
A wrath and herald of thunder + curse on hit are a must in map

Currently using Warlord's mark, due to the low fps and common freeze I have with my machine.

Edit: FPS, not dose
Last edited by Effe86 on Aug 15, 2017, 6:41:13 AM
I'm not fan of slower projectiles with this skill - clunky aiming and the damage multiplier doesn't count for the explosions. Increased area should be almost as good, but with better hitting - and no concentrated effect. Again because of overlapping.
Better get a additional conrolled destruction or an elemental focus for making the hits count than a slower projectiles - especially with bosses that like running and teleporting.

For leveling I have even a wand with increased proj. speed at the moment - for clearing this helps.

Just my thoughts.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info