[3.10 HC] Apep's Darkpact Totems are BACK (original build 3.1-3.3)

Well, stumbled upon some problems on..uh..tier 7-8 maps. Many people out there talking about our near infinite mana pool while I just get instantly drained by mobs thanks to MoM. It's like I'm casting totems, aiming them with skellies and Despair as usual. But somehow my mana gets depleted in a blink of an eye when a somewhat reasonable pack engaging me. Am I doing something wrong? Died 4 times in a row in T8 just from empty mana pool and thus being unable to even cast anything.

Edit: On top of that completely wiped out on trio boss before Atziri. Same story, mana pool went from 2100 to 0 in like 6-7 seconds and then death.

I feel like I really missing something. Or maybe I just don't get the playstyle right. Anyway, help is much appreciated :)
Last edited by Ranqorn on Dec 26, 2017, 10:45:54 PM
I have some questions I need answered, please <3!

BiS stats on jewels in 3.1? I'm thinking the 30+% abyss dmg is really useful to have on every jewel, yes?
How much res do I need on my totems? Should I get it from tree or jewels?
After Chemistry, go for Ironwood and unwavering?

Is self-cast skeles and wither a must? Never used it in 3.0.

Thank you for replies, fellas.
Re: running out of Mana checklist:

1. Do you have your Uber ascendancy? This is key to keeping up Mana, as it reduces the Apep's penalty to a manageable level. Before getting the final ascendancy, more care must be taken.

2. Do you have a Mana flask? Even after getting the Uber ascendancy, I run either a catalyzed or bubbling eternal or a bubbling or seething sanctified Mana flask. Used judiciously, this takes care of all problems.

3. Are you running into groups?
If so, allow me to recommend a different strategy. Try summoning the totems at a distance in front of you and then summoning skeletons beyond them to pinpoint target the mobs you are fighting. You should never be engaging groups at melee range on purpose. Flame dash away anytime you find yourself too close.

Re Jewels: please see my most recent post regarding my recommendations.

Re Summon skellies?: Nothing is necessary-there are many variants of this build that can be effective. That said, I strongly recommend self cast summon skellies as the most fun and effective variant.

-O
Last edited by Orion72 on Dec 27, 2017, 9:15:16 PM
Thank you kindly for fast response!

U-Lab: Unfortunately, no, I didn't run yber lab yet, was a little scared of such fast deaths in T 7-8 so I thought that uber Izaro will wreck me as soon as I enter his room :)

Mana: Currently I use some Eternal bad-rolled mana pot, but I feel like it doesn't help, with 2.5k mana this recovery rate seems rather slow. Maybe uber ascension will really make life easier.

Groups and Lazybones: I have a bit of exp with totem builds so I don't really run into mobs, but in case of abysses that can go right into some dense packs I sometimes find myself right in a slaughter. I dash away, cast totems and start spamming those skellies like there is no tomorrow. Obviously, that spam does not help my mana :) Maybe I can rely on them skeletons to live 2-3 seconds instead of mashing this button?

P.S. I'm using your separate setup for self-casting skeletons with MLife and SEcho, despair and wither are also in different 3-links. Also trying 3 abyss jewels with +cast speed when skelly dies, like you suggested.
Ok. The Uber ascendancy is huge. So much so that I do not run yellow maps until I have it done, usually between 70-72.

The dual Apep's increase your Mana cost by 80% for everything you cast. Once you are fully ascended this drops to between a 30% increase when you are damaged all the way to a 20% _reduction_ when you are not. The difference in game play is dramatic.

Until you are ascended, get a seething sanctified Mana flask. It will keep you alive and fighting.

-O
Thank you again, now I really understand the importance.
Another q, which suffix should I roll on flasks? Is Ignite or Bleeding a problem on high-end maps? Maybe curses? Right now running granite of staunching and quicksilver of heat.
Re Flask choices:

My current preferences:

1. Catalyzed eternal life of warding
2. Forbidden taste
3. Catalyzed/Bubbling Eternal mana of staunching (Seething Sanctified of Staunching pre-uber ascendant)
4. Experimenter's quicksilver of heat
5. Alchemists Quicksilver of Adrenaline

Some mix and match is fine. Flask #5 is particularly a matter of taste and can be replaced with whatever makes you more comfortable or is appropriate to a particular zone or fight. As always, ymmv.

-O
Hi,

concerning abyss jewels, I saw somewhere that you were using +life, +mana and "+cast speed when minion dies".

I wonder why you need this cast speed ?
For damage, I was thinking that "+minion life" and "added chaos damage to spells" were better, no ?
Am i wrong if I say that simple "cast speed" does not benefit to our totems ?

EDIT: it seems that I am wrong and cast speed benefits to our totems :-)
So I understand better. But a mix of "cast speed", "minion life" and "added chaos spell" seems to be a possibility, according to POB.
Last edited by AaxFamily on Dec 28, 2017, 5:11:13 AM
Everyone gets to decide the balance they like best between offense and defense. Part of what I love about this game is that even within a single build there are so many possible variations.

If you want max offense, by all means find the jewels that give cast speed/minion life/added chaos to spells.

But I play hc. So to me the +life and +mana are paramount. If I can get one or both with a resist and my favorite damage mod (in this case the cast speed if minion died) so much the better.

Staying alive is the best dps.

As always, ymmv.

-O
thx for your answer and this nice build that i enjoy.
I understand the need of +life+mana, I was just wondering why you only chose +cast speed and not +add chaos (as there are quite cheap +life+mana+cast speed+add chaos gems all in one).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info