Option for Customizing Disconnect Timeout

"
vio wrote:
a more intelligent disconnect algorithm would definitely result in more situations where, in case of internet delay, the server just kicks you.
this would be the case if tech on the server adjusts it dependent on the current delays but even more so if users could set a fixed timeout.

and experience says that, due to thelack of understanding the underlying tech", people would just blame the game to be crappy. just like they just now blame the servers when they have high latency spikes or even disconnect.

don't get me wrong, i'm in favour of a option to let the server decide if a client just got latency spikes or disconnected to take the char out of the game earlier but these are the consequences.

and they're probably seen bad enough for the reputation of the game by ggg that they don't get implemented.

Complaining: Some ppl complaining is an inevitable consequence. You could use this argument against making PoE itself.

Servers: Part of the reason why many ppl complain about PoE servers first is that PoE server problems are (or have been) an actual significant problem. That makes it very easy to blame them even if they are not the cause of all problems. The disconnects which I personally have/had (which inspired this topic) have nothing to do with PoE servers.

No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Zrevnur wrote:
Complaining: Some ppl complaining is an inevitable consequence.

complaints about lag spikes and disconnects form the majority of posts on reddit and here.

for me, they're tiny if i compare them to the overal amount of players and one could even see it as a argument for the quality of the game if there are no bigger problems with the game itself.

but i'm not so sure other players see it the same way.

"
Zrevnur wrote:

PoE server problems are (or have been) an actual significant problem. That makes it very easy to blame them even if they are not the cause of all problems. The disconnects which I personally have/had (which inspired this topic) have nothing to do with PoE servers.

in one of jonathans podcasts (search for "will tell you what type of freeze you are having right now"), he had the insight himself that an indicator on the client ui which shows whether the current lag comes from the client or server would be a good idea. yes, jonathan. it would have been.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
just as a follow up for "freezes":

for me, the indicators for stun aren't distinguishable enough from network lag.

stun definitely needs better visual and sound feedback.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Back in the day (like three-four years ago), i did some testing to see how long i can get to stay in the game without an internet connection. For that purpose i removed the router/modem cable and reattached it trying to find the sweetspot before getting kicked back to the title screen.

The result was 6-7 seconds back then. I could literally be without internet for seven seconds and then reattach the cable and keep playing without being kicked from the server. I immediately made a feedback post to lower that delay.

Got the same responses you get here. Is anyone still playing hc btw or is it a ghost town?
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Jul 11, 2017, 8:02:52 AM
this is a fantastic idea, one which i had myself one laggy night.

none of these counter-arguments are rational.

a 'noob' at POE should still understand what disconnection on packet loss means, this doesn't require knowledge of POE to understand. What does vSync do? what is resolution? these things can kill people too, so they look them up and find out. So you don't want to add a necessary feature for advanced players because of this? So what if it is mandatory? the res option is mandatory, the shadows option is mandatory. what's the deal?

Also, making it manually adjustable allows you to customise this for your pc, connection, and toon. Not everyone will choose the same options.
Six seconds is plenty of time to get you killed unless you play some aegis build. Even 2 seconds is enough to die if you're in the middle of mobs NOT ATTACKING.

I've lost at least 5 characters during the first days of a new league to this bullshit.
I wouldn't be as mad if it happened to be a regular oneshot or other stupid shit but dying this way feels like you get cheated and your time utterly wasted, literally made me not touch this game for months.

"
Float wrote:
this is a fantastic idea, one which i had myself one laggy night.

none of these counter-arguments are rational.

a 'noob' at POE should still understand what disconnection on packet loss means, this doesn't require knowledge of POE to understand. What does vSync do? what is resolution? these things can kill people too, so they look them up and find out. So you don't want to add a necessary feature for advanced players because of this? So what if it is mandatory? the res option is mandatory, the shadows option is mandatory. what's the deal?

Also, making it manually adjustable allows you to customise this for your pc, connection, and toon. Not everyone will choose the same options.
as Ive said in the other thread, a big argument against this is client-side controlling timeout of disconnect detection mechanism goes against sane server-client architecture, resulting in non-uniform connection options/timers, and possibly access of tcp stack itself (depending on dd implementation). Im not even talking about abuse cases (ie, reconnect loops that establish connection and d/c right away)
No one will ever give a fuck.
Not one single one.

Random dc, random fps spikes. they've been here since forever it seems like according the forums and nothing has changed.

either deal with it, or quit. Those are your options, the devs simply won't address the problem even exists, let alone fix it.
"
grepman wrote:
as Ive said in the other thread, a big argument against this is client-side controlling timeout of disconnect detection mechanism goes against sane server-client architecture, resulting in non-uniform connection options/timers, and possibly access of tcp stack itself (depending on dd implementation). Im not even talking about abuse cases (ie, reconnect loops that establish connection and d/c right away)

Why dont you give an example case of why/how such a feature would be a problem? (One which does not assume incompetent programming by GGG.)

--

There already is an "instantly kick players" feature in PoE. Which could probably be used here. Only the 'timeout' condition would have to be added for triggering it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info