Option for Customizing Disconnect Timeout

1 to 2 second disconnect timer would have prevented my (SC) RIP at level 92 yesterday. I just shut down PoE after I ripped.

It is extremely frustrating.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
One solution to the 'stupid player problem' is to simply put the option in a game file instead of the main options window.

That way it requires a base level of intelligence to find and change the option, which casual players who click options to 'see what they do' rather than read wont find, change and complain.

I'd be quite happy changing my disconnect timer to a minute, since its pretty rare to be in a situation where i'd die outside of boss fights if i walked away for a few minutes. Plus i dont play HC, so i care more about the portal count on maps (or map itself since they seem to vanish) on DC than exp.
Last edited by Asmosis on Oct 20, 2017, 5:29:42 PM
If your map vanishes, it is most likely a server-side problem (i.e. instance crashed for example).
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Totally agree with this thread. I made something here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2030264/page/1#p15026157

Died at rank 19 and lvl 93 in turmoil race to a disconnect/game crash. It's soooo stupid that the game took 3-4seconds to kick me out from the server when my game crash and that's more than enough to me be killed in any map.

GGG can't u make a 0,5seconds instant-kick players that may have lost connection?

Dying to crash is so frustrating man. Nobody deserves that.

What gives fun to me in Path of exile is HC.
What takes away the fun to me in Path of Exile is dying to game crashs.
My end, it justifies my means,
All I ever do is delay,
My every attempt to evade,
The end of the road
And my end....
Last edited by imLuCaSsS on Nov 18, 2017, 2:11:24 AM
"
imLuCaSsS wrote:
Totally agree with this thread. I made something here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2030264/page/1#p15026157

Died at rank 19 and lvl 93 in turmoil race to a disconnect/game crash. It's soooo stupid that the game took 3-4seconds to kick me out from the server when my game crash and that's more than enough to me be killed in any map.

GGG can't u make a 0,5seconds instant-kick players that may have lost connection?

Dying to crash is so frustrating man. Nobody deserves that.

What gives fun to me in Path of exile is HC.
What takes away the fun to me in Path of Exile is dying to game crashs.

due to how the internet works, there is no way for the server to differ between

- your cat pulling the network cable
- your hamster eating the cable
- your provider fucking up your internet by adding a 6 second delay
- your router having a hickup and blocking connections.
- other internet carrier companies having bad routers which add 6 seconds delay
- your client crashing and not sending packets anymore for more than 6 seconds
- your firewall blocking the connection

for the server it's all the same, it just doesn't receive any packets from you anymore and takes your char out of the instance after 6 seconds fixed.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Nov 21, 2017, 4:22:55 PM
"
vio wrote:
due to how the internet works, there is no way for the server to differ between

for the server it's all the same, it just doesn't receive any packets from you anymore and takes your char out of the instance after 6 seconds fixed.

And in ALL of those cases, while playing HC, I want to be logged out after 0.5-1s. The server doesn't have to differentiate. It just has to realize there is a problem and kick me off the server.

We know how it works. We want the 6s to be configurable.
"
vio wrote:

And? If I manually terminate the connection, (which actually generally occurs if the connection is "blocked" BTW) the server INSTANTLY logs you out the moment it receives the packet, with zero delay. That's why we talk of "logout macros" for HC.

Hell, even Alt+F4'ing out still generally terminates the connection within a second or so.

The game ALREADY hiccups and disconnects you if the loading script chokes on itself, so there's no reason for it not to do it for connection issues.

If they're worried about more people getting upset about whether they'd be disconnected when they don't want to, they should make it an option, which is the entire point of this thread.

GGG might not have to do a damn thing to retain YOUR loyalty, but there's kinda tens of thousands of others who are a different story from you.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
ACGIFT wrote:

And? If I manually terminate the connection, (which actually generally occurs if the connection is "blocked" BTW)

nope, "logging out" itself is a packet (FIN or RST) which needs to be transmitted to the server. if your connection is blocked it's not arriving.

"
Char1983 wrote:

We know how it works. We want the 6s to be configurable.

i would like that too, the best idea i read was a "step by step" lowering the timeout on the server for player's accounts in case the connection is stable longterm and there are no timeouts due to lag.

my personal guess is it could be as low as 2 seconds for good connections.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info