when should i buy end game gear?

I am currently level 64, assassin, and i know my gear is awful compared to what I could be wearing. The problem is I don't want to buy a bunch of gear (off forum / poe.trade website) and then have to rebuy all my gear a second time.

Also, can someone give me a rundown or link to high evasion/physical damage based gear?

Last bumped on May 24, 2017, 3:46:21 PM
No one really HAS to buy anything. You can farm everything you want in this game. Buying gear just allows you to focus on EXACTLY what you need/want as opposed to praying to rng that exactly what you need drops.

Considering people beat shaper in the first 2-3 days of a new league when absolutely nothing of value is really for sale, and they are proabably the only ones in that tier of gameplay, you really don't NEED to buy and trade.

Edit: Sorry I read the title as why do I need endgame gear. Now that I have reading comprehension, WHEN is subjective to the build. I typically don't start buying/trading for gear I need until level 70-72 personally. I hit dried lake and farm until 70ish, gear up, then start mapping.
Last edited by coaa on May 22, 2017, 12:30:46 PM
"
coaa wrote:
No one really HAS to buy anything. You can farm everything you want in this game. Buying gear just allows you to focus on EXACTLY what you need/want as opposed to praying to rng that exactly what you need drops.

Considering people beat shaper in the first 2-3 days of a new league when absolutely nothing of value is really for sale, and they are proabably the only ones in that tier of gameplay, you really don't NEED to buy and trade.

Edit: Sorry I read the title as why do I need endgame gear. Now that I have reading comprehension, WHEN is subjective to the build. I typically don't start buying/trading for gear I need until level 70-72 personally. I hit dried lake and farm until 70ish, gear up, then start mapping.

Right, and that makes perfect sense. But say I want to buy items so I don't have to wait and farm: *when* / *what level* should i do so that avoids buying higher level / better gear?
Essentially you would be above the level gate on gear if you get to about lvl 73+. Most gear but not all is usually equip-able by 72 in my experience.

Furthermore, depending on your funds, which you are brand new so pretty much none, this isn't truly the end of your purchases/upgrading sadly. Your first aim should be to have all the life/evasion/etc. your build needs while also making sure elemental resists are capped at 75% in starting maps. This means (135%) in your hideout/normal difficulty in the brackets to compensate for merciless resist penalty.

These requirements on their own will probably be enough to drain your currency dry as a new player. But eventually, you would like to have 169% in the brackets (elemental weakness curse on higher end maps will drag down your cap), and instead of say 60-70 flat life rolls on gear, more 80+ than not. But these require more top tier rolls and will cost more than you have probably even hoped to see so far.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
Essentially you would be above the level gate on gear if you get to about lvl 73+. Most gear but not all is usually equip-able by 72 in my experience.

Furthermore, depending on your funds, which you are brand new so pretty much none, this isn't truly the end of your purchases/upgrading sadly. Your first aim should be to have all the life/evasion/etc. your build needs while also making sure elemental resists are capped at 75% in starting maps. This means (135%) in your hideout/normal difficulty in the brackets to compensate for merciless resist penalty.

These requirements on their own will probably be enough to drain your currency dry as a new player. But eventually, you would like to have 169% in the brackets (elemental weakness curse on higher end maps will drag down your cap), and instead of say 60-70 flat life rolls on gear, more 80+ than not. But these require more top tier rolls and will cost more than you have probably even hoped to see so far.

This brings up a new question about hideouts: because I don't have one yet. Are you saying the hideout gives me resistance / other buffs i need? Also you refer to life and evasion a build needs, what exactly are those numbers?
Last edited by Furor_Dei on May 22, 2017, 1:38:38 PM
"
Furor_Dei wrote:

This brings up a new question about hideouts: because I don't have one yet. Are you saying the hideout gives me resistance / other buffs i need? Also you refer to life and evasion a build needs, what exactly are those numbers?

Your hideout doesn't offer any buffs, but it's an extremely useful staging ground for mapping, it allows you to see your numbers better than town does since it's a skills-on zone, and is a sort of soft requirement for poe.trading, as most players expect to make trades in the seller's hideout. If you're in your 60s you should have at least one Master over level 3, which is the requirement for a basic hideout. Git chew wun; you'll start hating it every time you have to go back to town like everybody else does.
What he was referring to about the hideout, is that the HO is at normal difficulty no matter what level you are. So your res won't show the penalty for cruel or merc. You need to go by the number in brackets and do the math yourself. So subtract 135 - 60 = 75

However you CAN use crafting benches in your HO to craft res on gear. It relieves the pressure to find all of your res on gear. You can fill in the missing res by crafting. At your level you can use the cheap crafting for just a few low level currencies. No need to spend chaos at your level.

Get your HO and start doing daily missions.

At level 64 I would not spend a lot on end game gear yet. If you've hit a wall, you can either be patient and hope for a drop, or buy cheap gear for 1 alc to get you to 75-80. You might be surprised what you can get for an alc. Use http://poe.trade/ if you don't already know about it.

Your passive tree needs a lot of work. Start with getting rid of those multi-paths. That's a total waste of points. If you did that intentionally, planning to respec, now is the time to get serious about respeccing.

Your gear isn't THAT bad for your level. I think your tree is a bigger problem. Get more life on your tree.

You may also just need to learn the game better and know how to approach things.

Edit:
When you get your HO, you can invite masters who are level 2 or higher. There is a limit to how many you can have in your HO. But even if you don't invite them, you can type:

/claim_crafting_benches

into the chat window. That will put crafting benches from all level 2+ masters in your HO inventory. You can find it by clicking the edit button at the bottom of the HO screen.
Last edited by harddaysnight on May 22, 2017, 2:26:25 PM
"
harddaysnight wrote:
What he was referring to about the hideout, is that the HO is at normal difficulty no matter what level you are. So your res won't show the penalty for cruel or merc. You need to go by the number in brackets and do the math yourself. So subtract 135 - 60 = 75

However you CAN use crafting benches in your HO to craft res on gear. It relieves the pressure to find all of your res on gear. You can fill in the missing res by crafting. At your level you can use the cheap crafting for just a few low level currencies. No need to spend chaos at your level.

Get your HO and start doing daily missions.

At level 64 I would not spend a lot on end game gear yet. If you've hit a wall, you can either be patient and hope for a drop, or buy cheap gear for 1 alc to get you to 75-80. You might be surprised what you can get for an alc. Use http://poe.trade/ if you don't already know about it.

Your passive tree needs a lot of work. Start with getting rid of those multi-paths. That's a total waste of points. If you did that intentionally, planning to respec, now is the time to get serious about respeccing.

Your gear isn't THAT bad for your level. I think your tree is a bigger problem. Get more life on your tree.

You may also just need to learn the game better and know how to approach things.

Edit:
When you get your HO, you can invite masters who are level 2 or higher. There is a limit to how many you can have in your HO. But even if you don't invite them, you can type:

/claim_crafting_benches

into the chat window. That will put crafting benches from all level 2+ masters in your HO inventory. You can find it by clicking the edit button at the bottom of the HO screen.

Thank you for all of the great information, if you don't mind could you highlight what you mean by multi-path on my spec tree? And maybe show me a high physical damage / evade skill tree that exists?
See what I did? Those three dex nodes by your starting area created a duplicate path going to the same place. I didn't touch anything else, but I saved you 3 passive points. You might want to check your gear/gems for STR requirements since you'll lose 10 STR.

You should use those three points to pick up life nodes.
Last edited by harddaysnight on May 22, 2017, 4:26:29 PM
"
harddaysnight wrote:
See what I did? Those three dex nodes by your starting area created a duplicate path going to the same place. I didn't touch anything else, but I saved you 3 passive points. You might want to check your gear/gems for STR requirements since you'll lose 10 STR.

You should use those three points to pick up life nodes.

Oh interesting, that is a strategy I did not really think about. Do you know of a (double dagger) high physical / crit/ evade build you could link me to?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info