Energy Shield and Life

]
"
Xavathos wrote:

Yes, but life is far more fun to build than ES. I'd much rather have life in the top spot than ES has been for ages now.

Fun is subjective. (Though I agree).

Life can be the new meta. No one should be arguing life is on average stronger than ES but weakening end-game ES by 33% plus removal of anbunch of % inc crafted mods and % nodes means the *same* ES and life values will be achieved by most players - 6000 ES and 6000 life. But ES has no physical mitigation like armor or endurance charges.

Therefore ES would theoretically be inferior on most builds.
Removing Vaal pact and Buffing life is the fairer option.
"
Samson001 wrote:
]
"
Xavathos wrote:

Yes, but life is far more fun to build than ES. I'd much rather have life in the top spot than ES has been for ages now.

Life can be the new meta. No one should be arguing life is on average stronger than ES but weakening end-game ES by 33% plus removal of anbunch of % inc crafted mods and % nodes means the *same* ES and life values will be achieved by most players - 6000 ES and 6000 life. But ES has no physical mitigation like armor or endurance charges.

I agree that ES and life pools should not be equal and I'm sure GGG knows this as well. People have achieved some insane ES pools in the past while still having enough damage (because newsflash, damage is secondary in PoE #clearspeedmetaisalie) to kill the most high end bosses with literally no chance to ever die.

But while the numbers of 25k ES seem amazing, it is in fact the tool that keeps it up that high 24/7 that is causing the real trouble. A life/ES pool is as good as the highest hit in the game, once you're over that magic number, everything else is moot. You then turn to the next issue, when you take such a hit, how do you recover?

And therein lies the problem with ES. VP. Instant leech.

On life, it was good but didn't save you, simply because your life pool wasn't high enough to survive the hardest hit in the game. On ES, where your pool was large enough, it did save you and almost instantly gaining you back your massive ES pool after having it taken down as low as 1%.

ES had such numbers because it was a no-mitigation, hit-and-run mechanic, developed (speculation) for casters and trappers, who use such mechanics by default. VP made it the best all around for every single build that wasn't hammer-to-face guy.

TLDR: Removal of VP from ES was enough. Leave the pools as they are. From there either buff life a bit or rebalance the "BS mechanics" (thank you Ziggy).
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Samson001 wrote:
]
"
Xavathos wrote:

I agree that ES and life pools should not be equal and I'm sure GGG knows this as well. People have achieved some insane ES pools in the past while still having enough damage (because newsflash, damage is secondary in PoE #clearspeedmetaisalie) to kill the most high end bosses with literally no chance to ever die.

But while the numbers of 25k ES seem amazing, it is in fact the tool that keeps it up that high 24/7 that is causing the real trouble. A life/ES pool is as good as the highest hit in the game, once you're over that magic number, everything else is moot. You then turn to the next issue, when you take such a hit, how do you recover?

On life, it was good but didn't save you, simply because your life pool wasn't high enough to survive the hardest hit in the game. On ES, where your pool was large enough, it did save you and almost instantly gaining you back your massive ES pool after having it taken down as low as 1%.

ES had such numbers because it was a no-mitigation, hit-and-run mechanic, developed (speculation) for casters and trappers, who use such mechanics by default. VP made it the best all around for every single build that wasn't hammer-to-face guy.

TLDR: Removal of VP from ES was enough. Leave the pools as they are. From there either buff life a bit or rebalance the "BS mechanics" (thank you Ziggy).

Well said. On the money.
I don't understand why there isn't simply a hard cap on ES?

I'm by no means an expert on the toughest fights, but if say, you had a pool of 15k ES max, then once a player reached that, they would try for more armor and such to try and mitigate some of the hardest hits in the game.

It effects the ES pools that trivialize all content in the game, without actually impacting the 7 K es player that would get 1 shot in end game, but now ends up with 4800 es because of the 1%.

Taking VP away means that players that have 20k ES that get hit down to 2-3k simply CAN'T facetank anyways. Removal of double/triple dipping means fights will go significantly longer. No ES on rings, 33% reduced ES overall, the reduction of DPS, AND removal of VP....

I hope that what others are implying about survivability from the pantheon system is true.

I hope that aura reservations are adjusted accordingly being that LL builds won't have the ES to actually support spending life on Auras

I hope that spells are given a leech opportunity OTHER than using the life leech gem, or blasphemy warlords. I also hope that leech is reworked for ES so that it's more effective that leech for life, but less effective than leech for life with vaal pact.

Sorry about the rambling. I'm going to try 3.0 leagues anyway, as I enjoy the game (as is shown by my contributions to the company, keep it up ladies and gents!), but I'm also attached to the time and effort hat has gone into a plethora of standard characters. I get the standard economy is messed up, but I love the first character I played in the game. Originally it was an Fpulse crit CI witch, that switched to low life for damage when first crit was nerfed, and then shotgunning removed. Aura's were then nerfed, and now ES.... I'll find something that works, but hopefully that won't be "shelf every good piece of gear and start over with a life build".

Cheers
"
Blakwhysper wrote:
I don't understand why there isn't simply a hard cap on ES?

I'm by no means an expert on the toughest fights, but if say, you had a pool of 15k ES max, then once a player reached that, they would try for more armor and such to try and mitigate some of the hardest hits in the game.

It effects the ES pools that trivialize all content in the game, without actually impacting the 7 K es player that would get 1 shot in end game, but now ends up with 4800 es because of the 1%.

Taking VP away means that players that have 20k ES that get hit down to 2-3k simply CAN'T facetank anyways. Removal of double/triple dipping means fights will go significantly longer. No ES on rings, 33% reduced ES overall, the reduction of DPS, AND removal of VP....

I hope that what others are implying about survivability from the pantheon system is true.

I hope that aura reservations are adjusted accordingly being that LL builds won't have the ES to actually support spending life on Auras

I hope that spells are given a leech opportunity OTHER than using the life leech gem, or blasphemy warlords. I also hope that leech is reworked for ES so that it's more effective that leech for life, but less effective than leech for life with vaal pact.

Sorry about the rambling. I'm going to try 3.0 leagues anyway, as I enjoy the game (as is shown by my contributions to the company, keep it up ladies and gents!), but I'm also attached to the time and effort hat has gone into a plethora of standard characters. I get the standard economy is messed up, but I love the first character I played in the game. Originally it was an Fpulse crit CI witch, that switched to low life for damage when first crit was nerfed, and then shotgunning removed. Aura's were then nerfed, and now ES.... I'll find something that works, but hopefully that won't be "shelf every good piece of gear and start over with a life build".

Cheers

15k max ES cap, and 10k max life cap would be a good idea.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Xavathos wrote:

ES in not equal to Life. And it never be equal.

There is no gear with "Life: x"(such as ES), because ES is on of defensive mechanics (ES/Armor/Evasion). ES absorbs some amount of dmg. And its useless against Chaos. But armor less effective vs Phys. Penetration and Eva vs Accuracy. So whats the problem?

1-shot with life build? But u have armor or eva! 10k shot vs 15k ES? But common ES is 6-9k. ES have no evasion, phys reduction from armor(i can be wrong). So eHP with life is equal to ES.

CI is a method to ignore CHaos. But u sacrifice Life for it (loss in eHP). Without some unique (cant remember name) ES regeneration is useless when u take dmg vs fast attacking bosses or nonstop casts.

Yes, maybe VP position on skill tree is wrong (IMO it must be at center equal far from ES and Life nodes), but its not making VP so OP for ES.

If HOWA is such OP, why not to nerf HOWA?

UPD. high ES pool can only be obtained with all ES gear. So EVA/Armor is so low so its complete useless. If i get it right)

UPD2. Is Shavronne equal in chaos immune to CI?
Last edited by LordNeromancer on May 19, 2017, 4:04:05 PM
I think GGG Rory (and anyone else on the balance team) should be required to level past 95 in any league before they get to "balance" Path of Exile again.
"
luckyshin wrote:
on 25k ES? yeah, check the build thread.. if you spend 20-40 ex, and have some legacy gear (3x legacy energy from within?) on standard, and make maximum investment in regen and ES (or life).. you have an "afk build" which does shit damage but can afk endgame bosses. don't try and map with it though.

it's the inverse of a glass cannon..

the notion that this is "op" is absurd... it's like a new player who struggled to obtain 4k life saw the 25k es number, and determined "wow that must be OP!".

I mean, the uber atziri video is 40 minutes long, at the end of which he DIES, and Atziri is still full health.

The real problem comes when GGG balancing guru hears about this 2nd or 3rd or 4th hand, and then assumes everybody is running around with 25k es and 5 million dps.
"
bhavv wrote:

15k max ES cap, and 10k max life cap would be a good idea.

Implementing caps is a terrible idea as it directly constrains the way we play. Even diminishing returns (like the recent AoE changes) are detrimental to the purpose of this game and what it has always stood for: playing however you want, in whatever crazy ways you want, by maximizing whatever you please to suit whatever you think is the most fun or effective. GGG is losing sight of these things and becoming more like Blizzard with their "play the game the way we want you to" mindset.
(2-3-2019) Buff underused skills (3.23?!)+ selfcast, stop nerfing defense, build in threshold jewels (3.23?!), implement D3-style looting, add death log + MTX preview, actually rework flasks, stop balancing around the .01%, unnerf Harvest, ADD NEW WAYS TO LEVEL, finally implement Loot 2.0
Well, i've came to accept what it is. I just feels like the nerfs are targeted specifically to CI and what happens to other builds in between such as low life builds?. What about non CI Es builds that have around 7kes ?

Even if CI builds are played the most, there are still many builds out there that aren't CI, and because of these nerfs became unplayable.

I have played two chars to 100, and leveled one as a raider before i respecced into PF. Did all content deathless with 6K hp easily.Other than an occasional bad positioning and dying to volatile, 8k ES does not feel stronger than 6k life, and thats with vaalpact. But thats just my opinion.

IGN : Relithh , Stronkberry
Last edited by relithh on May 19, 2017, 4:35:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info