Energy Shield and Life

"
simoniknow wrote:

Nice one, thanx for the link. The question is, if it is es build that is op or arc mine build !

You could easily do that with 4-6k life if you had the same offense, speed and a life flask if hit with the degen beam.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Guys, the fact you have "seen characters reaching over 25,000 Energy Shield while still having the damage output to sufficiently complete all of the content in the game." is certainly true, I have also seen them. But on YouTube...

It's clear that ES needed some balancing, but you should really consider the majority of the player base. How about people that have around 7-9k ES? When this nerf takes place these "mediocre" ES builds will become totally unplayable considering the natural disadvantages of ES. Let's call it a pure nerf btw, that's what it is, it doesn't even adress the problems of life builds other than by nerfing their ES colleagues to ground.

Again, I did expect you would try to balance ES and Life builds ofc, but I think you have gone a bit too far regarding ES, if not the wrong way in general. Let's hope the beta will show you how to approach this problem appropriately so that it becomes a proper balance.
"
bhavv wrote:
"
simoniknow wrote:

Nice one, thanx for the link. The question is, if it is es build that is op or arc mine build !

You could easily do that with 4-6k life if you had the same offense, speed and a life flask if hit with the degen beam.

The thing is, no life build would achieve 4-6k life with the same damage. Life requires far more investment to achieve that amount, while getting to 6k+ ES is trivial, you don't even need good gear for that.
Hi all,
just my 2 cents worth.I am a casual player but played long enough to see many changes to game mechanics.

From my understanding http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Energy_shield it was not the original intention for energy shield to be a substitute for life. The introduction of Zealots Oath changed all that.

When you add a mechanic or change a system within a environment you have to address all iterations of that change and not focus on certain key dynamics. Failure to do so means that terms such as Path of Exploits become common place. Constantly fiddling with different dynamics whilst not looking at the whole system leads to more constant fiddling.In my opinion you have created your own vicious circle.
In my opinion I would consider ( remembering that it was the casual player not hardcore player that was the focus of the game ) looking at the whole system. That means starting back to basics then adding each component until you see where it fails in game design intention.
As a starting point you should look at all game dynamics and have a clear definition of what they are and how they are intended to work.

Eg. Start at the 3 core elements Strength,Dexterity and Intelligence.

Look at the values assigned to 10 Strength 10 Dexterity and 10 Intelligence as everything will flow from those choices if properly designed. Associate Strength with Melee. Maybe add .2% block chance per 10 strength.2% Spell Block chance for 10 Intelligence.1% spell dodge and .1% attack dodge for dexterity. These are ideas not solutions.

Clearly define what is Melee and what is Ranged.Further away you are from a target significantly reduced accuracy for example if you are melee based. Just an idea.

Flasks are clearly broken: 1,2,3,4,5 enough said.

Clear out all Legacy items and mirrored items appropriately compensating players who own said items.These items will always interfere with the game as they were introduced when things were different.All those peeps who payed to design a Unique let them just make a new one.

As I said you have to address the whole system or as we have seen and will continue to see fiddling. This should give a more transparent Path for the Exile.

I play energy shield style and regardless of what changes are made to this dynamic will continue to do so and adapt accordingly to the new environment.

Good luck with all that you are trying to do and we shall see what we shall see.

Last edited by GhostReggae on May 18, 2017, 9:51:11 AM
"
maxkardinal wrote:
BUT ES CAN NOT MITIGATE DAMAGE AS EFFECTIVE AS LIFE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR0MCphu03M

What's the point in dealing no dmg?
ING: Valhaal
"
pathfinding wrote:
It's clear that ES needed some balancing, but you should really consider the majority of the player base. How about people that have around 7-9k ES? When this nerf takes place these "mediocre" ES builds will become totally unplayable considering the natural disadvantages of ES. Let's call it a pure nerf btw, that's what it is, it doesn't even adress the problems of life builds other than by nerfing their ES colleagues to ground.

What everyone here don't get is that even 7-9k ES is too much, when life builds struggle to go past 5k HP.

And no, just powercreeping life to ES-levels won't solve it, it will just worsen the game balance even more and make one-shot mechanics even more necessary.
IM WAITING FOR THE PART WHERE THEY GO .... SIKE!!!!!!! LOL .. straight trash mob doing the balances
"
GhostReggae wrote:
Hi all,
just my 2 cents worth.I am a casual player but played long enough to see many changes to game mechanics.

From my understanding http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Energy_shield it was not the original intention for energy shield to be a substitute for life. The introduction of Zealots Oath changed all that.

When you add a mechanic or change a system within a environment you have to address all iterations of that change and not focus on certain key dynamics. Failure to do so means that terms such as Path of Exploits become common place. Constantly fiddling with different dynamics whilst not looking at the whole system leads to more constant fiddling.In my opinion you have created your own vicious circle.
In my opinion I would consider ( remembering that it was the casual player not hardcore player that was the focus of the game ) looking at the whole system. That means starting back to basics then adding each component until you see where it fails in game design intention.
As a starting point you should look at all game dynamics and have a clear definition of what they are and how they are intended to work.

Eg. Start at the 3 core elements Strength,Dexterity and Intelligence.

Look at the values assigned to 10 Strength 10 Dexterity and 10 Intelligence as everything will flow from those choices if properly designed. Associate Strength with Melee. Maybe add .2% block chance per 10 strength.2% Spell Block chance for 10 Intelligence.1% spell dodge and .1% attack dodge for dexterity. These are ideas not solutions.

Clearly define what is Melee and what is Ranged.Further away you are from a target significantly reduced accuracy for example if you are melee based. Just an idea.

Flasks are clearly broken: 1,2,3,4,5 enough said.

Clear out all Legacy items and mirrored items appropriately compensating players who own said items.These items will always interfere with the game as they were introduced when things were different.All those peeps who payed to design a Unique let them just make a new one.

As I said you have to address the whole system or as we have seen and will continue to see fiddling. This should give a more transparent Path for the Exile.

I play energy shield style and regardless of what changes are made to this dynamic will continue to do so and adapt accordingly to the new environment.

Good luck with all that you are trying to do and we shall see what we shall see.

ok ... do me a favor .. sit down ... be humble ...
Intresting...

Less of a nerf on ES and less of a buff on life then I was suspecting.

hummmm...Not sure I'd see any real effect on any of my chars.
Oh well.
All you had to do was buff life nodes and rolls instead of just nerf ES to the ground, lmao.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info