Changes to the Labyrinth

"
NickK_GGG wrote:
<snip to some very anodyne language that carefully steps around various controversies connected to labyrinth>

Much of the feedback we've received since the Labyrinth was added focused on the length and difficulty of the Labyrinth itself, so for the first Labyrinth we are removing some of the areas in the leadup to each fight with Izaro.

<snip to verbiage that basically says "we're changing very little about the stuff that bores and frustrates a lot of players, when you look at the bigger picture">
<bold and underline added by me>

Very carefully worded to avoid mentioning that much of the feedback is about disliking / hating / loathing trap gameplay, particularly as implemented in POE. Much of the feedback was about how boring it is to run Labyrinth. As in, players want to kill shit, as it was so eloquently put by another, rather than run around and not kill shit. Much of the feedback was also about how frustrating it is to get disconnected when partway through and to have to start over again, lose offerings, that kind of thing.

Really, though, the frequency of the "make it shorter" feedback is a symptom of a larger problem, which is that many aren't finding the Labyrinth fun.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on May 22, 2017, 1:11:51 AM
"
Toliman wrote:

so lets go ahead and make it more boring and trivial is that what you are saying?
Certainly nerfing stuff should out of the question. Propose something sensible.

I already did its called remove the piece of shit Lab that GGG thinks people want. Nobody wants it nobody cares about it, and to top it off 99.99% of players dont even run it. Majority of people that come to POE and get to lab the first time quit the game due to the frustration that the shit Lab provides. It doesn't add any fun to the game nor does it help the game any.

We were fine without it before they came up with the shit idea and well be fine if they remove the piece of shit place from the game period.
"
porksoda wrote:
I'm NOT a big fan of the Labyrinth. It's way to long and takes too much time to complete. I also don't care for the randomness and not knowing which path to take to get to the end. I hope it changes in 3.0. Not run at all. Just my opinion, but I'm sure that are a lot of people who feel the same. I've actually avoided doing the Labyrinth altogether due to what a pain in the butt it is as explained above.

Hi Porksoda, I've added you to the list, at number 100 for new list members that have only posted in this thread about disliking Labyrinth and number 875 over all. As the list grows longer our voice grows stronger. Over 320 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 870 posters in support
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Seems like i still wont be able to compete in lab ladder from Germany with a kind of slow PC.
Good thing they dont delete loading times from a speedrun ladder...
I still think making lab mandatory is one of the worst decisions GGG has made in regards to PoE. Its profitable enough that people will run it for the rewards, why the need to force it down everyone's throat? It's a nuisance for a lot of experienced players but crippling for newer players who cant even make their own builds viable for mapping but they're expected to factor lab/izaro into the picture. I've seen so many newer players ask for help that are struggling after making a few characters and so often they'll only have done normal lab or no lab on all 5 of the characters they made.

From the start I think the player should ascend as they complete the leveling process, getting points for beating the game bosses under the rules that apply from the start and during all the players game time except lab. Players never experience things like an instance that cant be rejoined like lab, or being forced through traps that deal damage based off a % of your HP pool like in lab.

Why not let the player ascend as they complete story? Currently all the rewards from questing other than skill points are so bad they're almost insulting. Kill some threat thats been bothering the town and they offer you a 0% quality gem that you can get from the vendor so the value is 1 transmute or 1 chance orb, or maybe a rare item that most of the time is worthless except for the alt shards it vendors into. It really feels bad questing through the story since there barely is any story and the rewards just aren't there, you cant blame people for rushing to maps since thats where the game starts being profitable.

What do you do if you cant even map without dieing all the time so you ask for help and people tell you that you need to complete the lab 4 times (1 being uber).

The lab in poe reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke - "That's not fair. That's like if I worked hard to become a cook, and I'm a really good cook, they'd say, "OK, you're a cook. Can you farm?"
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
"
p0t wrote:
What do you do if you cant even map without dieing all the time so you ask for help and people tell you that you need to complete the lab 4 times (1 being uber).

What do you do ? You fix your char or your play style.
You can easily do maps without dying without ascendancy points.
They are a huge power boost, but if early maps make you die all the time, there is something very wrong elsewhere.

And nobody needs uber to be able to play in maps .... :/

I agree that quest rewards are pointless now, but ascendancy points are something that need to be earned, not just granted for free, no to free power creep.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
p0t wrote:
I still think making lab mandatory is one of the worst decisions GGG has made in regards to PoE. Its profitable enough that people will run it for the rewards, why the need to force it down everyone's throat? It's a nuisance for a lot of experienced players but crippling for newer players who cant even make their own builds viable for mapping but they're expected to factor lab/izaro into the picture. I've seen so many newer players ask for help that are struggling after making a few characters and so often they'll only have done normal lab or no lab on all 5 of the characters they made.

From the start I think the player should ascend as they complete the leveling process, getting points for beating the game bosses under the rules that apply from the start and during all the players game time except lab. Players never experience things like an instance that cant be rejoined like lab, or being forced through traps that deal damage based off a % of your HP pool like in lab.

Why not let the player ascend as they complete story? Currently all the rewards from questing other than skill points are so bad they're almost insulting. Kill some threat thats been bothering the town and they offer you a 0% quality gem that you can get from the vendor so the value is 1 transmute or 1 chance orb, or maybe a rare item that most of the time is worthless except for the alt shards it vendors into. It really feels bad questing through the story since there barely is any story and the rewards just aren't there, you cant blame people for rushing to maps since thats where the game starts being profitable.

The lab in poe reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke - "That's not fair. That's like if I worked hard to become a cook, and I'm a really good cook, they'd say, "OK, you're a cook. Can you farm?"

The 102nd new account name added to the list from just this thread alone and 878 account names in total that have posted similarly in the forum about labyrinth. Over 320 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 870 posters in support
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
I'm intrigued to see how this will change the labyrinth.

Personally have found lab only frustrating with glass cannon builds and honestly they should not be used solo most of the time anyway.

Only problem I have seen in Lab recently were flawed builds or occasional disconnects with a pc over 5 years old.
Sometimes I imagine how a Lab was implemented...

[GGG HQ, late night]
DevA: Hey guys, we are working on Ascendancy classes. They will give many new abilities for players
DevB: But it will result in power creep!
DevA: Yes, but increasing build diversity is worth it.
DevB: Ok you got a point, we adjust someone shot values to balance it.
[later]
DevC: Hey guys, what about this arcade minigame I designed when I had been drunk?
DevB: C'mon, this is aRPG, nobody wants to play Mario here...
DevC: But I already dumped money in this...
DevA: Hey, what about gating Ascendancy points behind this? That way everybody has to play it, and we announce this as a success...
DevB and DevC: Brilliant!
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."
"
Nishrek wrote:
Sometimes I imagine how a Lab was implemented...

[GGG HQ, late night]
DevA: Hey guys, we are working on Ascendancy classes. They will give many new abilities for players
DevB: But it will result in power creep!
DevA: Yes, but increasing build diversity is worth it.
DevB: Ok you got a point, we adjust someone shot values to balance it.
[later]
DevC: Hey guys, what about this arcade minigame I designed when I had been drunk?
DevB: C'mon, this is aRPG, nobody wants to play Mario here...
DevC: But I already dumped money in this...
DevA: Hey, what about gating Ascendancy points behind this? That way everybody has to play it, and we announce this as a success...
DevB and DevC: Brilliant!

LOL. Yeah lab sucks. Im too old for mario/donkeykong games. And this mechanic on a online only game is absolutely bs. #makelablootonlytakeoutascendencyfromthere.
Last edited by IHellBoundI on May 30, 2017, 12:21:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info