[3.1] The Laserbeam! Crit Ball Lightning build - Clearspeed & Bosskills!

@moghat:

Seems solid to me, you should be able to beat T12+.

Be aware that some bosses are just hard (The Godess / any totem boss) because we cant leech mana/life on them. The "45% reduced Ball Lightning projectile speed" enchantment on helmet got a huge impact to your DPS. I'd focus on that and try T11+ again then.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1880210
@onlyjb

I'm trying to be more patient and play with more attation, I was lacking a bit of both.
And the 'all-in' is certainly not a good option most of the time, but it just seems too easy to me when I watch the videos with people killing bosses within 10s or less with this build.
My friend pointed out that Vaal Lighting Trap is what may be the trick, I will try this.
But I still hate when I get 1 hit killed though.
It is a bit of a masochist game, any little mistake can be a death. Just trying to accept it and start to change my focus to map complition instead of leveling (i'm almost 89).
Avoiding many mods help a bit. Flasks also become great help.

I will still try some labs for the helmet buff.
But right now I'm in an item dilema. I still have to buy a 6-link armour, Lavigna, Dying Sun, Blue Dream (blue nightmare is not an option), Opal Ring and the new Mask you recommended (which I will still need to get the buff). Although they are not priced the same they are all quite expensive.
What do you think I should invest on right now?
Last edited by moghat on Sep 17, 2017, 6:13:39 PM
@moghat:

6L > Dying Sun > Tempest's Binding > Opal Ring

The Blue Dream is pure luxus, Diamond Rings are almost as good as Opal Rings. Vaal Lightning Trap is not necessary anymore, once you got Tempest's Binding. The Harbinger of Storm will shock every enemy including Shaper every 4 seconds.

Lavianga's is only required on Hexproof maps, any other mana flask should work just fine aswell. Hexproof can even be done mana flask'less with the "0.6% of damage leeched as life/mana" enchantment on your boots. Since there are only 15 different boot enchantments you should be able to get it with a few runs.

Prevent oneshots with 6k+ life and use Fortify; to do the all-in burst you need gear similar to mine or Brize's.

Good luck with your journey :)
Last edited by onlyjb on Sep 17, 2017, 7:48:03 PM
Hi! I'm following your build atm, and it seems very fun and easy to play.

I'm planning on using belly of the beast, and since its hard getting 5blue sockets and 1 green, I only managed to get 4 Blue sockets, 1 Green and 1 red.

Do you think its a improvement to use Empower lvl 3/4 replacing the arcane surge?

Furthermore purhaps you should update your lvl 20, 40 etc. trees because there is alot of unnecassary passive refunds compared to your current build.

[3.9]Hasunic's Toxic Rain Trickster: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2712106
[3.7]Voidforge Flicker Strike Slayer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2532214
[3.7]Oni-Goroshi Fire Vaal Reave Zerker: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2583978
Nevermind. I did the calculations myself, and the dps difference was to high.
I bought a 6linket occultist vestment with 60 resist, 120 life and 300 energy shield for 120 chaos, so that was cheaper than trying to 6link the belly, and especially if I was going to make 5 blue sockets on it.
[3.9]Hasunic's Toxic Rain Trickster: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2712106
[3.7]Voidforge Flicker Strike Slayer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2532214
[3.7]Oni-Goroshi Fire Vaal Reave Zerker: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2583978
@Hasunic:

Just tried Empower 4 a few minutes ago. Arcane Surge wins easy - not only that Ball Lightning got more DPS with active Arcane Surge. Your other damage sources (Orb of Storms & Choir of the Storm) profit from a damage multiplier aswell.

A Belly would be the strongest armor for my build, but well - the coloring. That's why i dont use it, too.

Anyways, i got 6.8k life meanwhile on lv94 and aiming for 7k. That should be enough for 99% of my encounters :P
Last edited by onlyjb on Sep 18, 2017, 7:47:27 AM
Hello! I've been doing this build and very much appreciated the guide.

I made a few of my own modifications, due to the gear I've been able to obtain, personal preferences, and little voices in my head.

I'm planning to try the Warlord's Mark linked to Cast on Hit instead of Blasphemy, since I'm casting orb of storms so often, and since vaal lightning trap is made obsolete by Tempest's Binding. I'm looking forward to this change so that I can free up some passive points (currently being used for decreasing mana reservation).

What do you think about taking a fourth frenzy charge in the shadow area, since Tempest's Binding allows you to get them because of ice bite? I think it's worth the two points, personally. I find that my frenzy charges quickly get up to max.

Since my enchant on TB is 40% damage, I've been swapping LMP for slower projectiles, and that works well (LMP is great for mob clearing). I did the slower proj enchant for a long time but personally I think that TB is worth losing that enchant because having a shock harbinger and a 6-link orb of storms is freaking amazing.

I do NOT like arcane surge as I feel there are lapses in my playspeed which leads me to die more often. But I LOVE spell echo and am not sure why you haven't recommended it. To me, it's more effective at killing than faster casting, or any of the other options you listed.

I used Doryani's for a long time, but recently bought a life/armour/ES/res belt for pretty cheap. With the correct flask setup, I don't miss the lost lightning leech at all.

Also, I LOVE dual void battery, and strongly recommend the investment after getting your flasks! that and my opal rings brought the most substantial damage boosts.

Final thing was that I use vaal grace instead of vaal haste, because I already have uber cast speed and I like to give myself a better chance at not dying when against big hitting bosses. I probably shouldn't put myself in a position where I can get one-shot, but geez, 6.8k EHP should be enough amiright?!
Last edited by ittarter on Sep 18, 2017, 2:00:17 PM
I lucked out and dropped a +3 to lightning gems and like 60% crit chance 2 handed staff with 5s4L. Do you think that this is worth it to use this or should I go with a dagger, and if I go with this, what gem subsitutions do you think I would need to do? I don't have the money to test out the unique daggers and wands that you have as equipment right now.
"
I lucked out and dropped a +3 to lightning gems and like 60% crit chance 2 handed staff with 5s4L. Do you think that this is worth it to use this or should I go with a dagger, and if I go with this, what gem subsitutions do you think I would need to do? I don't have the money to test out the unique daggers and wands that you have as equipment right now.

Strongly recommend you ditch the staff.

Double divinarius at lvl 66 will still net you way more dmg -- between the two of them, 120%+ increased dmg and 230%+ increased crit strike chance, plus life/mana on kill and increased AOE. And you can buy divinarius for 1 chaos/3 alchemy each on poe.trade.

Before lvl 66, other unique daggers will go for a similar price, e.g. Heartbreaker lvl 50.

As long as your chest is eventually 5/6 link, you don't need a second 6 link with this build.
@ittarter

I personally think you focus a bit too much on the DMG. Except your belt, all of your HP rolls are rather low, and due to Dual wielding you lose another ~130hp on the shield, which easily (with multipliers) equals another 400hp. Of course this is personal preference, but you WILL get oneshot by certain things. I am really curious how your build performs with Guardians and Shaper though :) Also the Dual Voidbattery seems interesting, I would really like to see a video or something! But how do you get to 6.8 eHP? I have 6.540 hp and 1.2k ES with rather good HP rolls, and it still feels too low to me, I aim for 7k aswell.

Also, the guide DOES recommend Spell Echo over the other gems. Faster Casting is only recommended instead of Faster Projectiles before you get the 45% lower BL speed enchant.
Me and onlyjb also tested Spell Echo vs. Faster Casting with pretty final gear, and they are VERY close together, with Spell Echo having a slight edge over FC. The disadvantage imho is that Spell echo sometimes seems to catch you in the cast animation because you cast twice. I am pretty sure that accounts for a couple of my deaths, since I didn't cast my whirling blades upon pressing the button every time. But again, this is preference, I just got used to it I guess.

I agree as well to run Warlords Mark without Blasphemy. I takes some getting used to that the first action you do when encountering enemies is ALWAYS to cast Orb of Storms first, because you might insta die otherwise, but once established your Mana managment is much easier (and as you said yourself saves you a lot of passive points which can be put into HP).

Regarding the LMP I didn't think they were too strong in this build when I tested them. Once you have your Dying Sun, you have more than enough projectiles (again, just my opinion).

When it comes to Arcane Surge, I dont quite get what you mean, can you elaborate? You mean the "random" in-/decrease of Castspeed gets you out of rhythm? If so, I know what you mean, but again I think Spell Echo is way worse regarding this imho.

The Vaal grace is interesting, but I personally do not like to rely on "chance", rather just dodge the attacks :P But this is personal preference I guess ;)

Anyway, Interesting take on the build, let us know how it is going, I always like to so how other takes perform, because I followed this guide rather closely.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info