How We Describe Item Mods

This sounds like too much trouble for such an issue.

Coudn't you simply sererate the mods with a discrete small line, make the line height a bit different (like 5 pixels when it's the same mod and 10 if its the start of another), or something else?

I believe there is a lot of ways you could have solved this one without giving yourselfs one more headache every time you need to design a new item or mod.

Sometimes I get the feeling that you are too much of a perfectionist for your own good:)

Just hire me and I'll teach you how to "settle":P
Last edited by smichal52 on Apr 6, 2017, 6:55:23 AM
One thing you should absolutely do is to change the "% increased physical damage" description on weapons. Because while "% increased fire damage (for example, works with all ele damage) is a global modifier which effects spells as well as attacks, "% increased physical damage" is a local modifier which only effects attacks made with this specific weapon.

So please please please change the wordings to "% increased global fire damage" and "% increased local physical damage"

"
Eschor wrote:
One thing you should absolutely do is to change the "% increased physical damage" description on weapons. Because while "% increased fire damage (for example, works with all ele damage) is a global modifier which effects spells as well as attacks, "% increased physical damage" is a local modifier which only effects attacks made with this specific weapon.
That's even more unintuitive when we have weapons that deal pure elemental damage. Looks like the mod should be local on them? Nope, it is still global. Good luck understanding that.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
Eschor wrote:

So please please please change the wordings to "% increased global fire damage" and "% increased local physical damage"

Agreed something needs to change for the current mods to make sense. Not sure that this is the best solution, but glad you mentioned it as well.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
I really like how the tooltips in Diablo 3 look and wish that the PoE ones were more like it.

Small, but easily readable font, and each mod is bulletpointed.
Maybe this would cause another problem that I don't know about, but maybe you could solve this issue by having alternating colours for the text of mod descriptions? Like a slightly lighter shade of blue followed by a slightly darker shade. Or you could change the background for the text instead; if it's subtle enough it won't disrupt the aesthetics too much. Or as someone suggested, you could have bullet points.
A more generalized approach (I'm a developer) would just be to color code alternating or unique color scheming.

1.) Alternating would be using two colors that alternate to distinguish affix separation.
2.) My preferred approach would be unique color scheming. Every affix would have a color that color's *brightness* would be improved depending on the relative tier (Using brightness of colors can still be distinguished by color blind individuals). This solves several usability issues, first, players would be able to more quickly assess the decency of an item based on it's overall brightness of the affixes. Next, the mind is pretty quick in color assessment and would rapidly be able to assess if an item contained the desired affixes, and how well they rolled relative to the iLvl of that item. Solves the issue defined here and extends it further.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info