The Fall of Oriath: Monster Preview

The FFFFFFooooooOOOOOO monster design is my favourite out of any ARPG.

The yetis at 0:19 are ugly and terrifying. I love the evil Priest-like enemies at 0:50. The burning chalice thing the, er, bishop lady (?) is holding looks great. I'm also a big fan of the way the soldiers look. I reckon they'd be more intimidating with less gold and more black, but the gold adds definition and I suppose it'd be a bit crap if they were totally invisible in dark areas. :P

I think there's some Nazi influence here, but the apparent consensus of them just being a Nazi rip-off misses the mark imo. I'd say the Oriath folks are inspired by some combination of the Romans, the Nazis, the Christian faith, and possibly a fourth which I find harder to pin down.

The Nazis copied the Romans, and there's literally a massive Roman statue in the trailer. And just how German does Theopolis sound to you?? I feel like any evil video game enemy adaptation of the Romans will result in similarities to the Nazis, because the goal would be to create a more modern look, and obviously Nazi Germany is far more recent than the Roman Empire.

One minor detail I'd love to know is how they arrived at the Sin / Innocence idea. More specifically, did Muslims inspire that in any way with the Sunni / Shia divide? Or the concept of Christians and Muslims worshipping the same god? Or did they look at Protestants and Catholics?
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Wow, amazing animations. I hope the game slows down a bit so I can enjoy those properly! :)
Perception is reality.
WHY am I getting this bone-chilling diablo1 vibe?

Something tells me GGG isn't holding back on this expansion AT ALL.
Last edited by XPhantasmaX on Mar 27, 2017, 11:44:14 PM
"
JadeKincade wrote:
Looks like we get to murder lots off f-up human doods. Need more wicked priestess types. Maybe design a variation on our classes i.e. a karui woman for marauder, male ranger, male warlock (witch) etc.

Agreed; this should totally be an option, cherried with TL2-like customization (hair color and style; skin tone).

Yet again - if the various Blackguard and Oriath uniforms were added to the MTX store, I'd buy them.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Nice that one twisted guy looks alot like Iron Maidens Eddie not close enough to be sued but still...
That mob at 0:17 looks so badass and evil in the concept art, and then the actual model just looks hilariously silly haha.
~ Seph
finally the truth about the catholic church.
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Nazi!... i mean Nice!
Nice models and textures, good work from the artists.
vaal or no balls
Those new monster models look really good. Will the character models also get a remake for 3.0?
Unarmed for life! (although I do like maces too recently)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info