[2.6] "Mist Eater" MoM Flameblast In-Depth Guide

"
LaBBe_ wrote:
"
jplimab wrote:
"
LaBBe_ wrote:
Well, I did it :)

I succeeded in my first run after buying Rise of the Phoenix so decided to record the second one.

It's not quick and it's not pretty tho :)... In the video I forgot to get a silver key for the fift treasure key because I got lost looking for Argus, he was in a different place in the map than in the first run.

Because I'm lazy I uploaded the whole recording but timestamps for the fights are in the description

Omg, that is sweet dude! I have plans to record videos too, but i'm not sure if my computer can handle it, so I might have to delay this plan a bit.

Would you mind if I mention your video in a "Video Footage" section? I think that this will help even more for people on getting a better approach to the build and what to expect from it.

Cheers,

Razielim.

I don't mind, :) use it as you wish!

Video added. As well as the proper credits!

Thx, man.
I'm Razielim, son of Raziel.

"Raziel, you're worthy..." - Elder God
"
jplimab wrote:
"
Urtalala wrote:
Hello, thanks for the guide! I am new to PoE in general, and this is the first guide I've used, I've had to google a lot of acronyms that you use in the guide lol. I tried to follow the leveling section as much as I can, as I type this I'm currently level 43.

However, I'm seeking some advice from anyone willing to answer. Around level 10 I found a tabula rasa, I've been using that the whole time now, the gems I'm using in it are Storm Call-Faster Casting-Controlled Dest- Added lightning-elemental focus- Increased area of effect. The issue that I'm having is now that I'm at the level where I can use the suggested flameblast-ignite-AoE setup in this guide, I've noticed it doesn't kill things nearly as fast as the Storm Call setup I have.

Additionally, I do not exactly have enough gem slots to use all the curse gems and defensive gems properly, and it's not worth attempting to get them at my level because I replace gear fairly quickly. So again, any advice and opinions are appreciated!

- Thanks

Hi, man. I appreciate that you're trying the build!

I've made the guide to be very beginner friendly but I didn't thought about using less acronyms. I'm so used to it that I forgot to write without using them, lol. I apologize for that and will fix it soon!
But could you answer what are the acronyms that you found the most difficult to understand? So I can change everything else based on your feedback as a beginner.

About your leveling skill: You can continue to use Storm Call as long as you're confortable with. You can even stay with it to be your main skill of choice. This build is presented to be a self-casting Flameblast, but I've stated in the Introduction's "Why Flameblast?" section that you can choose another spell of your liking, and the details about it are located inside the F.A.Q. section, which is at the bottom of the guide. You should check it out if you're willing to try another spell.

However, I'll leave some advices here about your current setup: A 6L in this build while leveling is not too much of a difference, because the main damage skill should come from your Helmet when combined with the first node that we take from the Hierophant ascendancy class, Illuminated Devotion, which you should try to get as soon as possible while finishg the Normal difficulty. Once you have it, consider using your skills in the helmet to benefit from the Elemental resistance penetration, which is a HUGE boost to your damage. Also, if you plan to continue using Storm Call, you should use Spell Echo insted of Faster Casting to get one free cast while also maintaining (or adding even more) cast speed to it, and swap out the Elemental Focus to use Reduced Duration. With Elemental Focus you wont be able to apply Shock to targets, which will make your damage drop by a lot (Shock makes the target receive 50% MORE damage from all sources). Don't focus too much on the tooltip DPS by now, so I highly suggest to try out the mentioned gems for this spell and you should feel a big difference in your damage. Also, Reduced Duration gem makes the spell much easier to use and to aim (the delay will be very reduced) which also maintains some damage boost from the gem itself (it has a % More damage modifier) and make you able to apply Shock! :)

And about your curses/defensive setup: You're right on not taking every defensive setups gems listed since you're changing your gear with constancy at your level. You will not need them as far as you reach late Cruel/mid Merciless, but beyond these marks you should consider getting them to boost your defenses if the gear is not optimized. However, the defensive setups become mandatory when reaching maps, or else you'll die with constancy.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, dude. I'll be glad to help.

Cheers

Razielim.

Thanks for all your help, dude! As far as the acronyms, it was just because I was new, I didn't understand many of them, such as CWDT and stuff. If you feel like it you could put an acronym list at the top of the guide to show what they mean. Such as "CWDT = Cast When Damage Taken." Or something a long those lines would help beginners a lot i'm sure.

I'm level 58 now, I changed up the build a bit to what you suggested. I'm just now getting to Merciless, and I died a few times in act 4 Cruel, so I'm a bit concerned going forward. Would you recommend me using the lightning penetration gem at all? Also, if you have the time it'd be really cool if you could look over my character real quick and see if you have any suggestions for things I should change. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Urtalala

P.S. I'm having a hard time figuring out which gems I should stop leveling up and what not, or how important it actually is.

P.P.S. I wanted to ask about me running Herald, Arctic Armor, And Clarity at the same time. This is what I've been doing. Is this alright for MoM?
Last edited by Urtalala on Mar 14, 2017, 3:50:42 AM
Spoiler
"
Urtalala wrote:
"
jplimab wrote:
"
Urtalala wrote:
Hello, thanks for the guide! I am new to PoE in general, and this is the first guide I've used, I've had to google a lot of acronyms that you use in the guide lol. I tried to follow the leveling section as much as I can, as I type this I'm currently level 43.

However, I'm seeking some advice from anyone willing to answer. Around level 10 I found a tabula rasa, I've been using that the whole time now, the gems I'm using in it are Storm Call-Faster Casting-Controlled Dest- Added lightning-elemental focus- Increased area of effect. The issue that I'm having is now that I'm at the level where I can use the suggested flameblast-ignite-AoE setup in this guide, I've noticed it doesn't kill things nearly as fast as the Storm Call setup I have.

Additionally, I do not exactly have enough gem slots to use all the curse gems and defensive gems properly, and it's not worth attempting to get them at my level because I replace gear fairly quickly. So again, any advice and opinions are appreciated!

- Thanks

Hi, man. I appreciate that you're trying the build!

I've made the guide to be very beginner friendly but I didn't thought about using less acronyms. I'm so used to it that I forgot to write without using them, lol. I apologize for that and will fix it soon!
But could you answer what are the acronyms that you found the most difficult to understand? So I can change everything else based on your feedback as a beginner.

About your leveling skill: You can continue to use Storm Call as long as you're confortable with. You can even stay with it to be your main skill of choice. This build is presented to be a self-casting Flameblast, but I've stated in the Introduction's "Why Flameblast?" section that you can choose another spell of your liking, and the details about it are located inside the F.A.Q. section, which is at the bottom of the guide. You should check it out if you're willing to try another spell.

However, I'll leave some advices here about your current setup: A 6L in this build while leveling is not too much of a difference, because the main damage skill should come from your Helmet when combined with the first node that we take from the Hierophant ascendancy class, Illuminated Devotion, which you should try to get as soon as possible while finishg the Normal difficulty. Once you have it, consider using your skills in the helmet to benefit from the Elemental resistance penetration, which is a HUGE boost to your damage. Also, if you plan to continue using Storm Call, you should use Spell Echo insted of Faster Casting to get one free cast while also maintaining (or adding even more) cast speed to it, and swap out the Elemental Focus to use Reduced Duration. With Elemental Focus you wont be able to apply Shock to targets, which will make your damage drop by a lot (Shock makes the target receive 50% MORE damage from all sources). Don't focus too much on the tooltip DPS by now, so I highly suggest to try out the mentioned gems for this spell and you should feel a big difference in your damage. Also, Reduced Duration gem makes the spell much easier to use and to aim (the delay will be very reduced) which also maintains some damage boost from the gem itself (it has a % More damage modifier) and make you able to apply Shock! :)

And about your curses/defensive setup: You're right on not taking every defensive setups gems listed since you're changing your gear with constancy at your level. You will not need them as far as you reach late Cruel/mid Merciless, but beyond these marks you should consider getting them to boost your defenses if the gear is not optimized. However, the defensive setups become mandatory when reaching maps, or else you'll die with constancy.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, dude. I'll be glad to help.

Cheers

Razielim.

"
Urtalala wrote:

Thanks for all your help, dude! As far as the acronyms, it was just because I was new, I didn't understand many of them, such as CWDT and stuff. If you feel like it you could put an acronym list at the top of the guide to show what they mean. Such as "CWDT = Cast When Damage Taken." Or something a long those lines would help beginners a lot i'm sure.

I'm level 58 now, I changed up the build a bit to what you suggested. I'm just now getting to Merciless, and I died a few times in act 4 Cruel, so I'm a bit concerned going forward. Would you recommend me using the lightning penetration gem at all? Also, if you have the time it'd be really cool if you could look over my character real quick and see if you have any suggestions for things I should change. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Urtalala

P.S. I'm having a hard time figuring out which gems I should stop leveling up and what not, or how important it actually is.

P.P.S. I wanted to ask about me running Herald, Arctic Armor, And Clarity at the same time. This is what I've been doing. Is this alright for MoM?

You're welcome, buddy.
As for the acronyms I might add a list about it for better understanding in general, but by this time and sice your feedback, I've changed most things inside the GEM section and wrote full names of the gems/spells to be easier for beginners to follow. I hope it helps meanwhile.

Well, for what I've checked in your profile, the most important thing that you should REALLY get is to complete the Normal and Cruel labyrinth. Without your Ascendancy points, the build will feel weak and squishy because you will be losing tons of mana & mana regen, 5L on the helmet, boots and gloves , and a 10% more MoM effect. I highly suggest to complete these to help you going through the remaining leveling process with ease.
Also, if you do still want to stick with the Tabula Rasa, you should swap out the Added Lightning and add a Lightning Penetration for sure. Without elemental resistance penetration, elemental spells are weak, so consider changing this.

For Storm Call I would actually drop the Arctic Armour and use just the Herald+Clarity. To Mind Over Matter to be useful, you should have the most unreserved Mana as possible. While casting Storm Call and moving around with constancy, the Arctic Armour effect would no be totally useful with this setup because you won't be stationary all the time while casting to benefit from the less Physical and Fire damage when hit.

And about your gems: You only need to stop leveling the CWDT setup until reaching the mentioned levels in the guide. The remaining gems are meant to be leveled to the maximum (Lvl 20).

Cheers,

Razielim.

Last edited by jplimab on Mar 14, 2017, 4:39:07 AM
Hey Razielim. Just wanted to say thanks for a really well thought out and well explained guide.

Cuurently Lvl 87 and it's been relatively smooth sailing so far. Uber lab and normal Atziri down. looking forward to the rest of the league.

Cheers!
"
Telg0r wrote:
Hey Razielim. Just wanted to say thanks for a really well thought out and well explained guide.

Cuurently Lvl 87 and it's been relatively smooth sailing so far. Uber lab and normal Atziri down. looking forward to the rest of the league.

Cheers!

Hello there! It's always awesome to read something like that. I thank you for your feedback. :)

Right now I'm running a Lightning Tendrils variant of this build, just for testing. But when I reach Uber Lab/Red Maps, I might switch back to Flameblast mostly due to its high damage and ignites for harder bosses.

Anyway, I'm glad to see more people trying out this build and I hope that you have the most fun possible with it!

Cheers,

Razielim.

Still really enjoying this build. Hit lvl 90 (almost 91) and doing end game maps now. Completed some T14's and, as long as you choose map mods carefully, everything seems doable. Dexterity is a bummer atm. Still looking for some items to sort that out. Apart from that everything is running smoothly.

One question Razielim - I'm trying to get my head around choosing Elemental overload. We don't have much of a crit chance so it doesn't seem to proc that often. Is it purely based on Orb of Storms? I'm not one for working out stats and theorycrafting so I'm probably missing something. Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again

Telgor
Ok so it's mainly the Orb of Storms/Increased Critical Strikes combo that procs it. Sorry for the dumb question!
Hi! I just wanted to know I was doing your build for my 2nd character of the league. I'm really enjoying it. I was excited to find it because it put together 2 skills I wanted to use, flameblast and orb of storms.

Having a lot of fun with it.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/rmt92/characters

I'm only 57 at the moment, but there's the link to my characters, it's the only templar, idiotheart. If you see any immediate changes I can make please let me know.

Thanks!!
"
Telg0r wrote:
Still really enjoying this build. Hit lvl 90 (almost 91) and doing end game maps now. Completed some T14's and, as long as you choose map mods carefully, everything seems doable. Dexterity is a bummer atm. Still looking for some items to sort that out. Apart from that everything is running smoothly.

One question Razielim - I'm trying to get my head around choosing Elemental overload. We don't have much of a crit chance so it doesn't seem to proc that often. Is it purely based on Orb of Storms? I'm not one for working out stats and theorycrafting so I'm probably missing something. Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again

Telgor

Hi, there. Sorry for the late on the responding. I'm not playing too much in the past few days and rarely entered the site to check new messages. I apologize for that.

I'm very excited on seeing your progress. I've designed the build to be kind of a league-starter/SSF capable character and I'm impressed on your achievments!

I'm no longer running this build in my Templar since I am now doing a test with Freezing Pulse.
I love Cold spells, and since the new Threshold Jewels released, I'm very excited with them.

Anyway, as you already figured out, the main source of Elemental Overload proc will be the Orb of Storms+IncCrit combo. It's kinda clunky to cast every now and then to keep the buff up, but it is the only way I could figure out on how to proc it while using a Flameblast setup. Sorry. :(

For Lightning spells it is waaaay easier to keep this buff up because you'll have rapid cast successions and your main spell would also proc the EO.

I'm looking forward to any further progress you make. I'll definitely put those inside the Achievements section in the guide. :)

Cheers,

Razielim.

"
rmt92 wrote:
Hi! I just wanted to know I was doing your build for my 2nd character of the league. I'm really enjoying it. I was excited to find it because it put together 2 skills I wanted to use, flameblast and orb of storms.

Having a lot of fun with it.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/rmt92/characters

I'm only 57 at the moment, but there's the link to my characters, it's the only templar, idiotheart. If you see any immediate changes I can make please let me know.

Thanks!!

Hi, buddy. I'm very glad to see that this build is bringing fun to you!

And about your char:
For what i've looked for, everything seems pretty fine. You will only need to finish the leveling part (~68) and from there it's just a matter to pick up whatever you feel you need (damage, survivability, utility, etc). As i've stated inside the guide notes, you will have plenty of choices on gear and what path to choose on your tree.

Anyway, your char seems very fine and well built. Just keep the good work! :)

If you have any question let me know.

Cheers,

Razielim.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info