[2.6] "Mist Eater" MoM Flameblast In-Depth Guide

"
LaBBe_ wrote:
Hi, very nice build! I thought about starting something like this but decided to go inquisitor flameblast totem instead.. Just like you though I didn't like the playstyle so decided to try this guide out instead :)

I leveled up focusing on damage a little more since I had some leveling uniques to help keep me alive. I picked up the fire damage nodes above witch and only now as level 77 did I finish the shadow side of the tree. Instead of taking the elemental damage nodes near shadow start though, I went up for eldrich battery. This allows me to run anger and herald of thunder together with arctic armour while spells use energy shield as resource. The life leech from doryani's catalyst is also much more consistant this way because the energy shield is not in the way (I know, the es would help tank bigger hits but in longer fights it just sits at 0 when it could be doing something else, like allow me to deal more damage). The damage difference is noticeable! Without anger and with the elemental damage nodes picked (without eo procced and with increased aoe equipped), my current flameblast tooltip average damage is 1789. With EB+anger+HoT and the elemental nodes specced out it is 1939,5. By linking herald of thunder in boots instead of increase critical strikes I also occasionally get it applying flammability so I don't have to cast orb of storms and i really haven't noticed a huge difference in EO uptime.

I plan on taking the life and damage outside templar next and maybe even taking the shadow ele damage in the end or maybe even going triple curse, depends how big of a level I get and what I'm in the mood/need for :) My goal is to clear as much content as possible with this character, will report back when I feel like I've done everything i can with him!

Some other stats with my current tree & gear (PizzaSticksAreBoring in my profile):

Life: 3886 (6477 with MoM+Divine Guidance factored in)
Mana: 2266
EB energy shield: 2813

I may try Esh's Visage because I'm not using Stone of Lazhwar (need resists). The flat life, chaos resistance and shock reflect seem quite nice but I can't find any on sale on poe.trade yet so have to wait for a while I quess

Oh and one last thing. This build is a beast in uber lab! I did cruel as lvl 49, merc as lvl 63 and uber as 75 the second I equipped my doryani's. It's not the fastest but I like not facerolling things and longer fights :) I haven't tried a full key uber yet, gonna need a little more damage for that

Hi there, bro. I'm really glad that you're liking the build! It really motivates me to continue improving it.

So about your experiences listed:
I originally thought about including Eldritch Battery in this build so we could run more auras, but the reason I removed this from the main idea was purely to be easier to sustain yourself using Warlord's Mark curse and/or a Mana Flask in Less/No Regen maps (getting Ghost Reaver node would not help too). Also, without Eldritch Battery I could save 4 points in the tree and focus more on raw damage that would be applied without any conditions (ex: Blood Magic map mod -- I will have to turn off your auras to run the map).

I've also stated in the CONS section that the build will scale a LOT of the damage in the higher levels, as it was designed for people to be more confortable with its defensive capabilites early on, and the reason to this is that I planned the build based on a true statements by Neversink: PoE has one rule ==> Prioritize defenses!
So I moved the damage nodes to be taken later on due to that and also because, even playing softcore, I hate to die. :c

About the Esh's Visage, i've added very detailed information about it in the Gear sections, as well as many other details about Uniques, gear choices and stat priority. I highly recommend to check it out! :)

This build is in constant updated as long as you guys are presenting suggestions and questions. Don't be afraid to question even the noobest thing you would imagine, I will answer them because I made this build to be a GUIDE, for both beginners and veterans, not just a show off of items and accomplishments. =D

I have personally tested this build in the Uber lab because I think it's the minimum that a build should be capable to do (doesn't need to be a full key farmer though). I mean, if you can't get your Ascendancy complete by yourself, the build should feel very weak, right? At least it's what I think, hehe. I'm glad that more people are able to complete one of the most important endgame milestone, which is the Uber Lab.

I'll be very happy for more feedback if you have some, and I promise that i'll take them in consideration for anything that I may change in the build.

Cheers,

Razielim.

I'm Razielim, son of Raziel.

"Raziel, you're worthy..." - Elder God
Last edited by jplimab on Mar 11, 2017, 5:11:41 AM
"
Urtalala wrote:
Hello, thanks for the guide! I am new to PoE in general, and this is the first guide I've used, I've had to google a lot of acronyms that you use in the guide lol. I tried to follow the leveling section as much as I can, as I type this I'm currently level 43.

However, I'm seeking some advice from anyone willing to answer. Around level 10 I found a tabula rasa, I've been using that the whole time now, the gems I'm using in it are Storm Call-Faster Casting-Controlled Dest- Added lightning-elemental focus- Increased area of effect. The issue that I'm having is now that I'm at the level where I can use the suggested flameblast-ignite-AoE setup in this guide, I've noticed it doesn't kill things nearly as fast as the Storm Call setup I have.

Additionally, I do not exactly have enough gem slots to use all the curse gems and defensive gems properly, and it's not worth attempting to get them at my level because I replace gear fairly quickly. So again, any advice and opinions are appreciated!

- Thanks

Hi, man. I appreciate that you're trying the build!

I've made the guide to be very beginner friendly but I didn't thought about using less acronyms. I'm so used to it that I forgot to write without using them, lol. I apologize for that and will fix it soon!
But could you answer what are the acronyms that you found the most difficult to understand? So I can change everything else based on your feedback as a beginner.

About your leveling skill: You can continue to use Storm Call as long as you're confortable with. You can even stay with it to be your main skill of choice. This build is presented to be a self-casting Flameblast, but I've stated in the Introduction's "Why Flameblast?" section that you can choose another spell of your liking, and the details about it are located inside the F.A.Q. section, which is at the bottom of the guide. You should check it out if you're willing to try another spell.

However, I'll leave some advices here about your current setup: A 6L in this build while leveling is not too much of a difference, because the main damage skill should come from your Helmet when combined with the first node that we take from the Hierophant ascendancy class, Illuminated Devotion, which you should try to get as soon as possible while finishg the Normal difficulty. Once you have it, consider using your skills in the helmet to benefit from the Elemental resistance penetration, which is a HUGE boost to your damage. Also, if you plan to continue using Storm Call, you should use Spell Echo insted of Faster Casting to get one free cast while also maintaining (or adding even more) cast speed to it, and swap out the Elemental Focus to use Reduced Duration. With Elemental Focus you wont be able to apply Shock to targets, which will make your damage drop by a lot (Shock makes the target receive 50% MORE damage from all sources). Don't focus too much on the tooltip DPS by now, so I highly suggest to try out the mentioned gems for this spell and you should feel a big difference in your damage. Also, Reduced Duration gem makes the spell much easier to use and to aim (the delay will be very reduced) which also maintains some damage boost from the gem itself (it has a % More damage modifier) and make you able to apply Shock! :)

And about your curses/defensive setup: You're right on not taking every defensive setups gems listed since you're changing your gear with constancy at your level. You will not need them as far as you reach late Cruel/mid Merciless, but beyond these marks you should consider getting them to boost your defenses if the gear is not optimized. However, the defensive setups become mandatory when reaching maps, or else you'll die with constancy.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, dude. I'll be glad to help.

Cheers,

Razielim.

Last edited by jplimab on Mar 11, 2017, 4:15:44 PM
Spoiler
"
jplimab wrote:
"
LaBBe_ wrote:
Hi, very nice build! I thought about starting something like this but decided to go inquisitor flameblast totem instead.. Just like you though I didn't like the playstyle so decided to try this guide out instead :)

I leveled up focusing on damage a little more since I had some leveling uniques to help keep me alive. I picked up the fire damage nodes above witch and only now as level 77 did I finish the shadow side of the tree. Instead of taking the elemental damage nodes near shadow start though, I went up for eldrich battery. This allows me to run anger and herald of thunder together with arctic armour while spells use energy shield as resource. The life leech from doryani's catalyst is also much more consistant this way because the energy shield is not in the way (I know, the es would help tank bigger hits but in longer fights it just sits at 0 when it could be doing something else, like allow me to deal more damage). The damage difference is noticeable! Without anger and with the elemental damage nodes picked (without eo procced and with increased aoe equipped), my current flameblast tooltip average damage is 1789. With EB+anger+HoT and the elemental nodes specced out it is 1939,5. By linking herald of thunder in boots instead of increase critical strikes I also occasionally get it applying flammability so I don't have to cast orb of storms and i really haven't noticed a huge difference in EO uptime.

I plan on taking the life and damage outside templar next and maybe even taking the shadow ele damage in the end or maybe even going triple curse, depends how big of a level I get and what I'm in the mood/need for :) My goal is to clear as much content as possible with this character, will report back when I feel like I've done everything i can with him!

Some other stats with my current tree & gear (PizzaSticksAreBoring in my profile):

I may try Esh's Visage because I'm not using Stone of Lazhwar (need resists). The flat life, chaos resistance and shock reflect seem quite nice but I can't find any on sale on poe.trade yet so have to wait for a while I quess

Oh and one last thing. This build is a beast in uber lab! I did cruel as lvl 49, merc as lvl 63 and uber as 75 the second I equipped my doryani's. It's not the fastest but I like not facerolling things and longer fights :) I haven't tried a full key uber yet, gonna need a little more damage for that

Hi there, bro. I'm really glad that you're liking the build! It really motivates me to continue improving it.

I originally thought about including Eldritch Battery in this build so we could run more auras, but the reason I removed this from the main idea was purely to be easier to sustain yourself using Warlord's Mark curse and/or a Mana Potion in Less/No Regen maps (getting Ghost Reaver node would not help too). Also, without Eldritch Battery I could save 4 points in the tree and focus more on raw damage that would be applied without any conditions (ex: Blood Magic map mod -- I will have to turn off your auras to run the map).

I've also stated in the CONS section that the build will scale a LOT of the damage in the higher levels, as it was designed for people to be more confortable with its defensive capabilites early on, and the reason to this is that I planned the build based on a true statements by Neversink: PoE has one rule ==> Prioritize defenses!
So I moved the damage nodes to be taken later on due to that and also because, even playing softcore, I hate to die. :c

About the Esh's Visage, i've added very detailed information about it in the Gear sections, as well as many other details about Uniques, gear choices and stat priority. I highly recommend to check it out! :)

This build is in constant updated as long as you guys are presenting suggestions and questions. Don't be afraid to question even the noobest thing you would imagine, I will answer them because I made this build to be a GUIDE, for both beginners and veterans, not just a show off of items and accomplishments. =D

I have personally tested this build in the Uber lab because I think it's the minimum that a build should be capable to do (doesn't need to be a full key farmer though). I mean, if you can't get your Ascendancy complete by yourself, the build should feel very weak, right? At least it's what I think, hehe. I'm glad that more people are able to complete one of the most important endgame milestone, which is the Uber Lab.

I'll be very happy for more feedback if you have some, and I promise that i'll take them in consideration for anything that I may change in the build.

Cheers,

Razielim.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to undermine your guide or suggest you change it based on my experiences, because like you said, those were just my experiences and thoughts and not suggestions. I'm not a complete noob, I have around 600 hours played so I'm not exactly a veteran either. I'm only just beginning to know my way around the passive tree but I'm too lazy/not clever enough to come up with my own build so I just scour the forums and try the builds that seem fun and trying my own things with them. Like I said, I plan to try to clear most of the content with this build and if my experiment with EB will slow that down I will not use it, all I'm saying that it feels better right now. As for the blood magic or no regen maps, I always roll them off anyway with any build (unless the build uses blood magic ofc ^^) unless the map is corrupted so it's not a problem I face often.

Regarding gear, I read your gearing options part of the guide and I'm using many uniques you suggested. I'm perfectly fine with Rathpith Globe right now. I just think the extra chaos resistance from Esh's Visage will become necessary when I move out of low yellow maps. My chaos resistance right now is only -3 and it really hurts, so it would come on handy if any become available. Here is my current gear right now.

Spoiler

Cheers and keep up the good work!
"
LaBBe_ wrote:
Spoiler
"
jplimab wrote:
"
LaBBe_ wrote:

I originally thought about including Eldritch Battery in this build so we could run more auras, but the reason I removed this from the main idea was purely to be easier to sustain yourself using Warlord's Mark curse and/or a Mana Potion in Less/No Regen maps (getting Ghost Reaver node would not help too). Also, without Eldritch Battery I could save 4 points in the tree and focus more on raw damage that would be applied without any conditions (ex: Blood Magic map mod -- I will have to turn off your auras to run the map).

Cheers,

Razielim.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to undermine your guide or suggest you change it based on my experiences, because like you said, those were just my experiences and thoughts and not suggestions. I'm not a complete noob, I have around 600 hours played so I'm not exactly a veteran either. I'm only just beginning to know my way around the passive tree but I'm too lazy/not clever enough to come up with my own build so I just scour the forums and try the builds that seem fun and trying my own things with them. Like I said, I plan to try to clear most of the content with this build and if my experiment with EB will slow that down I will not use it, all I'm saying that it feels better right now. As for the blood magic or no regen maps, I always roll them off anyway with any build (unless the build uses blood magic ofc ^^) unless the map is corrupted so it's not a problem I face often.

Regarding gear, I read your gearing options part of the guide and I'm using many uniques you suggested. I'm perfectly fine with Rathpith Globe right now. I just think the extra chaos resistance from Esh's Visage will become necessary when I move out of low yellow maps. My chaos resistance right now is only -3 and it really hurts, so it would come on handy if any become available. Here is my current gear right now.

Spoiler

Cheers and keep up the good work!

Haha, relax, man. I didn't take that you were undermining the build or something else, and I apologize if seemed so.
All I wanted was to give you detailed explanation about why I decided to not use EB as a core mechanic in this build. I surely think that EB has a solid place in this build with the free amount of ES that we gain from the Hierophant, so if it's working good, keep it! :)
I may even consider using it when reaching maps (i'm still leveling in Legacy, not too much time to play this season =/). Like you said, it's easier to reroll a map that have Blood Magic/Less or No Regen mods, than giving up a fun defensive/offensive mechanic, so I will definitely take this in consideration for future changes that might occur with this build.

You gear is perfectly fine, seriously. Another option to cap your resistances with ease is to use a Carcass Jack. It's not too much, and I'll loose the phys damage taken as fire from Cloak of Flame, but you can swap in a Stone of Lazhwar if you are getting hit with too much spells (most of the Chaos damage from mobs come from spells, I think). However, these are just suggestions.

The build is very flexible as I've stated, so feel totally free to change it accordingly to your needs. Actually, I encourage you to do that, because that's the best way to learn the game and starting thinking on creating builds yourself (I've started this way xD).

@LaBBe_

Hey, I added Geofri's Sanctuary as an option to run along with Eldritch Battery.
I think you should check it out if it works good with the ideia.

Cheers.

Last edited by jplimab on Mar 11, 2017, 6:42:06 AM
"
jplimab wrote:
@LaBBe_

Hey, I added Geofri's Sanctuary as an option to run along with Eldritch Battery.

Cheers.

That seems like a solid chest, but I don't like the Zealot's Oath, at least for my current setup/playstyle. I'm relying on my stone golem and leech to sustain my life so that I very rarely have to use a life flask, this would reduce my life regen considerably. Since I'm using The Vertex so my mana cost for flameblast is 0 I don't have to worry about the es for my mana. In fact since I started running eb+vertex I don't think I've once needed to check my mana level.

As to what you said about Carcass Jack in the previous post, I tried that as well but it didn't really work for me. I've kept the cost of the rares I use quite low by relying on the fire resistance of Cloaked Flame and the 20% physichal damage reduction is super nice. I actually thought about trying Rise of the Phoenix, I think the +8 max fire resistance would synergize very well with Cloaked Flame in midigating physichal damage which is key in uber lab as you know :)

Eventually if I get my other resistances in order with gear or maybe with frost/lightning walker from the tree I'll definently try out Stone of Lazhwar!
"
LaBBe_ wrote:
"
jplimab wrote:
@LaBBe_

Cheers.

That seems like a solid chest, but I don't like the Zealot's Oath, at least for my current setup/playstyle. I'm relying on my stone golem and leech to sustain my life so that I very rarely have to use a life flask, this would reduce my life regen considerably. Since I'm using The Vertex so my mana cost for flameblast is 0 I don't have to worry about the es for my mana. In fact since I started running eb+vertex I don't think I've once needed to check my mana level.

As to what you said about Carcass Jack in the previous post, I tried that as well but it didn't really work for me. I've kept the cost of the rares I use quite low by relying on the fire resistance of Cloaked Flame and the 20% physichal damage reduction is super nice. I actually thought about trying Rise of the Phoenix, I think the +8 max fire resistance would synergize very well with Cloaked Flame in midigating physichal damage which is key in uber lab as you know :)

Eventually if I get my other resistances in order with gear or maybe with frost/lightning walker from the tree I'll definently try out Stone of Lazhwar!

You're totally right, when using The Vertex, there's no need for Zealoth's Oath.
I just thought that suggesting this armour would be useful when starting a league or for a low budget setup, because The Vertex with EB can be kinda expensive for beginners, and Geofri's Sanctuary is super cheap.

Rise of the Phoenix seems a pretty solid option to combine with Cloak of Flame. I honestly haven't thought about that before. With this, the build might be able to run full key Uber lab farming. Good one!

Cheers.

Last edited by jplimab on Mar 11, 2017, 4:22:32 PM
Well, I did it :)

I succeeded in my first run after buying Rise of the Phoenix so decided to record the second one.

It's not quick and it's not pretty tho :)... In the video I forgot to get a silver key for the fift treasure key because I got lost looking for Argus, he was in a different place in the map than in the first run.

Because I'm lazy I uploaded the whole recording but timestamps for the fights are in the description
"
LaBBe_ wrote:

I succeeded in my first run after buying Rise of the Phoenix so decided to record the second one.

It's not quick and it's not pretty tho :)... In the video I forgot to get a silver key for the fift treasure key because I got lost looking for Argus, he was in a different place in the map than in the first run.

Because I'm lazy I uploaded the whole recording but timestamps for the fights are in the description

Omg, that is sweet dude! I have plans to record videos too, but i'm not sure if my computer can handle it, so I might have to delay this plan a bit.

Would you mind if I mention your video in a "Video Footage" section? I think that this will help even more for people on getting a better approach to the build and what to expect from it.

Cheers,

Razielim.

Last edited by jplimab on Mar 11, 2017, 4:24:26 PM
"
jplimab wrote:
"
LaBBe_ wrote:

Omg, that is sweet dude! I have plans to record videos too, but i'm not sure if my computer can handle it, so I might have to delay this plan a bit.

Would you mind if I mention your video in a "Video Footage" section? I think that this will help even more for people on getting a better approach to the build and what to expect from it.

Cheers,

Razielim.

I don't mind, :) use it as you wish!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info