Lightning Strike

"
Lo4f wrote:
"
sanddemon wrote:
Holy crap does this get mana intensive. Seriously, 40 each swing, 80 with multi-proj?! You're basically forcing people to go mana leech or blood magic...and I'm only level 40 :-/

I've got Weapon Elemental Damage, Multiple Projectiles, Pierce on mine and its 44 mana. Seems pretty reasonable for two of the more expensive supports. Level 44.

Huh what else is raising the mana cost....(really needs to be on the supports if it raises mana cost like MP does).

Apparently Add Lightning Damage and Melee Physical are adding to the mana costs.....is there some reason why? Do they all really need to DOUBLE the cost? (it's in dex/int armor if that matters) And this completely kills my dps (1200 to 700 without charges...)
Last edited by sanddemon on Feb 16, 2012, 9:38:44 PM
I was really excited about this skill because there was finally an AoE that would work with daggers.

I think the skill is pretty decent in terms of damage (even without AoF), but it is difficult to use properly. I wish the mechanics were more like normal multishot, i.e. that you could control the spread of the lightning with the mouse cursor.

Visually, I think it looks awesome. The lightning bolts look very cool and powerful.
Last edited by ptt_frmr on Feb 20, 2012, 4:51:50 AM
I think the skill is a bit unclear as far as critical mechanics, so i have a couple of questions:
1 - It has a base crit chance of 6%, ok. Does that mean no matter the weapon the base crit chance will always be 6%?
2 - Is the 6% base crit chance affected by weapon specific critical bonuses (like +x% critical chance or damage with daggers)?
"
RaffoBaffo wrote:
I think the skill is a bit unclear as far as critical mechanics, so i have a couple of questions:
1 - It has a base crit chance of 6%, ok. Does that mean no matter the weapon the base crit chance will always be 6%?
2 - Is the 6% base crit chance affected by weapon specific critical bonuses (like +x% critical chance or damage with daggers)?
When you wear two different weapons the character screen shows two different critchances...on one hand I would have guessed that the 6% are for the projectiles, but on the other hand Mark stated on the 1st page that most like initial strike and projectiles would all crit...so thats really confusing :D
"
RaffoBaffo wrote:
It's not supposed to have a base crit chance because it's not a spell. This crit chance is never used and has been removed for 0.9.7
Is it correct to assume that it cannot crit unless you hit in melee? So I can't can't crit by siting far away and spamming shift-attack to shoot lightning bolts? It's either all or none?
"
sanddemon wrote:
Is it correct to assume that it cannot crit unless you hit in melee? So I can't can't crit by siting far away and spamming shift-attack to shoot lightning bolts? It's either all or none?
No, it can still crit. You're still making the melee swing, the fact that it might not hit anything doesn't prevent the skill from rolling a crit.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The skill is an attack, and both the projectiles and the initial hit deal weapon damage, and will be affected by weapon-specific bonuses.

"
ortish wrote:
they are considered ranged. if you really wanted to... you could get anything with +% projectile damage and it would effect it

Since Lightning Strike is an attackskill and it's projectiles seem to be 'ranged', I was wondering if the projectiles might be affected by the Point Blank Archer keystone.

Point Blank Archer

Ranged Attacks deal up to 50% more damage to very close targets, but deal less damage to further away targets.

Is the keystone mechanically bound to bow and wand based attacks? I guess otherwise 'Ranged Attacks' could be any kind of ranged attack (but not spells in PoE). Lighting Strike ofcourse is a melee-attack. Does the gem-type define all of its 'follow-up' skilleffects?

E.g. the Explosive Arrow- and Poison Arrow-skill's aoe part seem to be calculated separately to their skillgem's respective projectile attack.
Does Lightning Strike's mechanics work similar? Or is there a relevant difference between how one part of a skill is 'mechanically connected' to its other part regarding the above skillgems?

Sorry about my vague use of the term 'mechanics' - I am fairly inexperienced in regards to programming.

Anyways - I tried to test it - using Lightning Strike and the keystone on a level 11 Ranger, comparing to a bow. As far as I can tell it doesn't work out - but my testing was short and maybe some RNG snuck in, maliciously veiling the outcome..
[The Prison] Crawl a text-based dungeon - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/26299
Last edited by Azhubham on Feb 21, 2012, 10:57:23 PM
Lightning Strike is not affected by Point Blank.

A attack is melee if made by a melee weapon, or ranged if it is made by a ranged weapon (bow/wand)

Explosive arrow does (ranged) weapon damage on the hit, but the explosion is not weapon/attack damage - it's secondary damage and is not affected by things that affect attacks.

Lightning strike's projectiles deal weapon/attack damage.
This skill is fantastic for templars one major reason: You don't need hit.

I have a purely defensive specced Templar with 71% chance to hit. But this skill lets me still pull awesome damage while maintaining great defense. My melee hits can still miss, but the lightning charges still hit and those are most of my damage after supporting with increased elemental damage.

I'm not sure that's intentional, but from my understanding of attack vs spell mechanics it makes sense. It just makes this skill very strong for characters with low hit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info