Lightning Strike

This skill needs more thought, from being a templar and

all that is elemental experience I could much rather use

Spark and recieve Much greater single target dps, and aoe

the obvious aoe superiority.

If I wasn't so darn inclined to wield a big staff that is.

I just enjoy hitting things with a stick, and this skill

had me excited till I actually compared the two skills.

Perhaps an added bonus for being in melee range, instead

of the other way around? Just my 2 cents. Right now this

skill is barely viable on characters that would be much

much better off using another skill altogether with only a

few adjustments to their build.
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
"
Dartanian wrote:
This skill needs more thought, from being a templar and

all that is elemental experience I could much rather use

Spark and recieve Much greater single target dps, and aoe

the obvious aoe superiority.

If I wasn't so darn inclined to wield a big staff that is.

I just enjoy hitting things with a stick, and this skill

had me excited till I actually compared the two skills.

Perhaps an added bonus for being in melee range, instead

of the other way around? Just my 2 cents. Right now this

skill is barely viable on characters that would be much

much better off using another skill altogether with only a

few adjustments to their build.

if you are getting lightning damage, ligtning strike only really benefits from 50% of elemental/lightning damage. you are better off just getting flat damage from staff rings in order to make this work better. elemental weapon damage might be worth a shot i suppose 100% increased elemental weapon damage isnt bad. it'll be a nice increase... but tbh... i think this skill has to be apart of a crit build to be worth while. my dagger ranger works well with it.

http://poezone.ru/skilltree/#do
Come by my stream! I answer questions about builds and just general useful information!

http://www.twitch.tv/namtro
I'll post more soon once I get enough time in with Multi-Proj/Melee Damage/Faster Attacks, but beginning to think this skill could be a little overpowered...

http://poezone.ru/skilltree/#di
After some testing, I would like to know how the others use the skill vs big groups? As a "range" skill (read just smashing on the ground while kiting, without really hitting a foe physically) or do you strictly melee?

Perhaps it could be better to hit enemies, but I missclick to much when I try and running through groups to hit a mob somewhere in the second row isn't the coolest and smartest thing to do :D, so range use feels definetily safer of course.
First off, let me say that I really like this skill. It's a lot of fun to use. I *do* wish that the projectile streams that fly out were a little more tightly grouped together (maybe 10-15° from the main one instead of what looks like 30-35°), but overall it's fun.

I'm wondering why this is a strength skill instead of a dexterity one. It's the only AoE melee skill a claw or dagger based character has. Strength already has melee covered for everything except those two weapons, and I really can't see why anyone would use them anyway as a Templar or a Marauder because claws and daggers require dex and int.

The ONLY AoE skill a dex based character has isn't even a melee skill - it's the abysmal Detonate Dead, which frankly, I've yet to see anyone say that they like it, but I'll leave that for the DD comments.

In any case, I love this skill and wish the bolts were a little more tightly grouped, wish it was Dex based, and actually, wish it was available a bit earlier - maybe about the same time Infernal blow is available.
"
Btah wrote:
After some testing, I would like to know how the others use the skill vs big groups? As a "range" skill (read just smashing on the ground while kiting, without really hitting a foe physically) or do you strictly melee?

Perhaps it could be better to hit enemies, but I missclick to much when I try and running through groups to hit a mob somewhere in the second row isn't the coolest and smartest thing to do :D, so range use feels definetily safer of course.

I don't use it to kite, I use it like I would Cleave, and if things in the back get hit, that's great, but mostly it plows things down at melee range. I think if the bolts were more tightly grouped together, this skill would be a bit more intuitive to aim. As it stands, it seems like they fly everywhere except where you need them if you don't run around and position yourself.

I still like it though. It rocks with the Weapon Elemental damage support gem :)
33 AoF Templar, using...
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
I love it being a melee & projectile, multipurpose, the aiming is fine... being auto-aim would be cool, but not necessary. No surprise the char is doing well though, since he's using OP Avatar of Fire. This skill makes me wish Glacial Hammer and Infernal Blow were are cool.

Also, shouldn't it have weapon restrictions like those aforementioned skills? Infernal has slashing & blunt, Glacial blunt, so Lightning for... piercing & blunt? I figure those terms make sense, even though it's all physical damage in PoE.

EDIT: Also, I'm worried about the innate crit on the skill. Currently the display ignores it, so I assume it does nothing, but I hope it never overrides a dagger or sceptre crit chance... taking the highest is what I assume would happen, but multiplicative would rock.
Last edited by Squidgyxombie on Feb 16, 2012, 2:05:38 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Squidgyxombie wrote:

Also, shouldn't it have weapon restrictions like those aforementioned skills? Infernal has slashing & blunt, Glacial blunt, so Lightning for... piercing & blunt? I figure those terms make sense, even though it's all physical damage in PoE.

Agreed on this. Axes and swords should be out.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Holy crap does this get mana intensive. Seriously, 40 each swing, 80 with multi-proj?! You're basically forcing people to go mana leech or blood magic...and I'm only level 40 :-/
"
sanddemon wrote:
Holy crap does this get mana intensive. Seriously, 40 each swing, 80 with multi-proj?! You're basically forcing people to go mana leech or blood magic...and I'm only level 40 :-/

I've got Weapon Elemental Damage, Multiple Projectiles, Pierce on mine and its 44 mana. Seems pretty reasonable for two of the more expensive supports. Level 44.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info