Man listening to some old school hiphop makes me miss old days.

I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua7-I7YlFIE

Give it a chance.
Thanks for that. I don't understand a word but feeling it. Hard to find hiphop i haven't heard already. Poland always had a presence in the comment sections of proper hiphop so i knew they/you had to have a good culture for it over there.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
SnowCrash wrote:
by the time Dr.Dre went solo every kid knew the members from N.W.A. . I have hard time even calling his music hip hop.
I took a course at university called "History of Hip-hop." On day one, the professor laid out a definition of hip-hop which specifically excluded all gangsta rap, citing Dre specifically as non-representative of the genre. Instead, Black Eyed Peas was. In my first paper, I disagreed with his definition and made the case for Dre (relying heavily on NWA). I got a zero on the paper. I dropped the course.
lol sounds terrible.

btw black eyed peas actually was way more hip hop before they got fergie into the group and become poppy as shit.
"
grepman wrote:
btw black eyed peas actually was way more hip hop before they got fergie into the group and become poppy as shit.
I remember the prof was mostly focused on will.i.am as far as his interest in the Peas was concerned. And I certainly wasn't trying to argue that they weren't hip-hop, even if they were at times obnoxiously poppy. What bothered me was his insistance that a positive, family-friendly, good-guy message was intrinsic to the genre.

My contention was that rhetorical device, not message, is intrinsic to lyrical conventions within musical genres. For example (and I wished I'd used this example back then), ZZ Top's Got Me Under Pressure is blues rock with typically blues lyrics. We know this because the lyrics form a complaint. However, the subject matter isn't stuff every guy would complain about... indeed, there's some doubt in the listener's mind as to whether the lyrics constitute genuine consternation or some form of humble-brag. Point is, any form of message follows convention as long as the rhetorical form is adhered to.

In a similar way, I accepted that the core lyrical convention of hip-hop was an expression of solidarity with one's minority community towards personal empowerment. However, the minority to be empowered could be either the struggling urban family with conventional family values, as my prof seemed to prefer, or the family of the gang, a minority in the form of a band of criminals held together by brotherly comraderie against the myriad forces opposing them. In other words, the family (and surrounding community) in the Cliff Huxtable sense or the family in the Cosa Nostra sense. Competing ideas on how to make it in a seemingly oppressive world. Both still hip-hop, even if the former is considerably more sinister.

Fucking hell I loved that paper. I should never delete shit on Google Drive.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 21, 2017, 1:46:22 AM
just sounds like your prof was a douche who couldnt accept other opinions...which is the worst.

was this recent tho (google drive is fairly recent I believe)? Id hope in todays age such bullshit stances in college classes to boot are close to extinct. I might disagree vehemently with someone but I will defend their right to say whatever they want.

anyway, its true for any genre, and especially hip hop. I mean, the genre was birthed in the Bronx in front of the projects. the roots are deeply entrenched in the struggle and poverty, and with it came love/lust for violence/gangsterism and such. there's a reason even KRS has an album named 'criminal minded'

Id put 'bitches aint shit' on in the class just to get him triggered lol

or at least this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuLXTOS3r5s
Oh, that level of "misogyny" might have gotten me expelled.

The moral of the story is not to take electives in a department with a title that ends in "studies." Full of SJW politically-correct bullshit, in a class I took because I like music with prolific swearing and triggering lyrics.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 21, 2017, 2:12:14 AM
"
RandallPOE wrote:

I like that second vid

lol 1988 I wansnt even born yet

I guess "old school" is relative.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Feb 21, 2017, 11:29:37 PM
Gang Starr all day.
We tested it extensively
Last edited by Icholas on Feb 22, 2017, 3:53:38 AM

Report Forum Post