[3.14] Flame Golem 101 - Complete Guide To Golemancy, ✔️All Bosses Down, ✔️Necro, ✔️Elementalist

"
Edeka wrote:
How important is the glove enchantment "of reflection"?

It's a nice bonus, that's all. Can split aggro a bit and leaves chaos damage when it disappears from Beacon of Corruption. I'd say the one that leaves chilled ground is also acceptable. None of the glove or boot enchants are a very big deal for the build.

"
Nirvanatone wrote:
Hi Shiverwarp & Mika2salo -

I am now level 90 and basically fully geared. I went with an almost identical build as Shiverwarp's RIP'd HC version.

Good news - I have 4.8k HP/5k ES. 75 all res, 75 chaos. Golems never die. I can do every T15 map, chis/alch/vaal, sextant with ZERO chance of death and pretty fast clear. Bosses are no issue. No mod's really prevent mapping. Guardians fully modded maps are easy as well.

Bad news - I am having a HELL of a time trying to beat shaper. 3 tries (expensive) have failed. All in the 3rd phase around 20% HP left on him. I think my problem is 2 fold. 1) Theres so much crap flying around that it becomes extremely hard not to get "2-3 shot" (within 1 second). 2) My damage output seems to be too slow for Shaper ONLY. Every other map/boss in the game is a joke with their damage.

I am seeking both your advice. My character sheet is public, if either of you could please take a look. My goal is still to kill shaper with this character.

Question 1: Anything on my gear, skills, jewels or tree look 100% bad for shaper kill goal?
Question 2: Do I go with an Elder/Shaped Minion Life/Damage helm for Spectre's for more damage, but lose significant ES and Evasion? Thinking this damage bump could help speed up the 3rd phase of Shaper.
Question 3: Presence of Chulula would give me reduction on stuns (350 ms stuns shaper hits with due to high DPS), and about 450EHP over my current build. Would it significantly change my build though?

So far - I will say this its my most powerful character in POE to date. Just upset at the difficulty of Shaper vs rest of game :). Thanks for the advice so far Shiverwarp and Mika2salo! It was a blast playing this Flame Golem build!!!

Shaper is really all about dodging and about damage. You might try mixing in the tukohama vanguards like Mika is currently doing, they're supposedly a serious amount of damage without requiring too much investment. Not sure if you'd have to respec your ascendancy to make it worth it though. Not sure what you'd drop for it. Probably the animate guardian or the curses since Shaper has a 80 reduced curse effectiveness MULTIPLIER, so they're much less useful against him.

Make sure you're getting in melee range of shaper so that he doesn't do his ball attack. Save your quicksilver for dodging the slam (I personally think quicksilver and run away is more reliable than a movement skill because you have 100% control the entire time, whereas one misclick with shield charge or flame dash is instant death)

Are you finding the spirit offering CWC a good enough defense in the fight? Is your unearth totem staying alive when you need it to? (Current build version I'm making removes the need for the totem, so it's more reliable to use) I see you have culling strike in the unearth totem, while it's probably okay to maybe run for the last phase of shaper if you're lacking a lot of damage, it severely limits the effectiveness of the CWC Spirit offering because you're only gaining 2% of HP as ES instead of 10% with a GMP socketed.
Thanks for the guide
"
Shiverwarp wrote:

Shaper is really all about dodging and about damage. You might try mixing in the tukohama vanguards like Mika is currently doing, they're supposedly a serious amount of damage without requiring too much investment. Not sure if you'd have to respec your ascendancy to make it worth it though. Not sure what you'd drop for it. Probably the animate guardian or the curses since Shaper has a 80 reduced curse effectiveness MULTIPLIER, so they're much less useful against him.

Make sure you're getting in melee range of shaper so that he doesn't do his ball attack. Save your quicksilver for dodging the slam (I personally think quicksilver and run away is more reliable than a movement skill because you have 100% control the entire time, whereas one misclick with shield charge or flame dash is instant death)

Are you finding the spirit offering CWC a good enough defense in the fight? Is your unearth totem staying alive when you need it to? (Current build version I'm making removes the need for the totem, so it's more reliable to use) I see you have culling strike in the unearth totem, while it's probably okay to maybe run for the last phase of shaper if you're lacking a lot of damage, it severely limits the effectiveness of the CWC Spirit offering because you're only gaining 2% of HP as ES instead of 10% with a GMP socketed.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I didn't know that meele range caused him to skip the ball attack. Ill try that out.

For the Spirit Offering CWC, it takes awhile to cast and get it up after its up it helps alot. The totem does die, a lot even with good positioning. What should i do for the replacement instead of totem?

I will re-socket GMP in my unearth. I was just trying out culling due to having him so low so many times.
"
Shiverwarp wrote:
I'm back on the golem train! I'm in the middle of making another variation of the Spirit Offering defense, this time using a 6L chest for the defensive offering links and an elder helm for the golems.

So, that means I was able to complete the testing I was going on about earlier in the thread, and I can finally say:

Golems gain cooldown reduction from BOTH stats on Harmony jewels!

I made a quick and dirty Google Sheet where I did my testing (As well as a little calculator for actual DPS and minimum required cast rate, since Path of Building does not calculate it correctly. You can make a copy of the sheet if you want to use the calculator)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qn27jeGCJQ4bNvgZI9Jk4cAXXhIjiLr-bQVr0ZkrP-c/edit#gid=0

Here is the accompanying video for Test #1: https://gfycat.com/FabulousJauntyBubblefish

And for Test #2: https://gfycat.com/JointObedientAtlanticspadefish

Both are during the duration when I was counting the Magma Balls in the Google Sheet. I had the golem linked with Minion Speed and Faster Casting to make sure to get accurate casts.

With this data, as well as what Aboba and tomatopotato have already shown, I think it's conclusive.

Perhaps we were too quick to judge Mark's words:

"
The first stat is granting cooldown recovery to your Golem Skills (the skills you have with the "golem" tag - e.g. "Summon Flame Golem" is a golem skill).
The second stat is saying your Golems (the fancy minion dudes you summon with the aforementioned skills) have increased cooldown recovery, which will thus apply to all skills they have (at least, the ones with cooldowns).

He does not say that the first stat does not also affect the golems themselves, just that the cooldown reduction is applied to the skills, which seems to also apply to the minions they create. This makes sense because it's also how things like Faster Casting work when linked with minions.

Or it's just an oversight and we aren't meant to be getting 3x the cooldown from a harmony than we thought. Who knows!

Either way, this means that it's important to keep track of our cooldown, so that we aren't outstripping our cast rate, rendering the lower cooldown redundant. Hopefully my rudimentary calculator can help with that.

It also means that the first stat on Harmonies is actually more important than the second stat because it has a 10% swing rather than the second stats 5%. We want the highest total cooldown per harmony.

Anyway, hopefully I don't RIP again and can take full advantage of the newfound knowledge on this character!

EDIT: Small side note about Ignite DPS, for those wondering about Controlled Destruction vs Elemental Focus. Path of Building does not include Ignite DPS in its "Average damage" or "Total DPS" stat. To know if Ele focus will be more overall damage, just multiply the DPS by your number of golems, then compare it to the damage you'd have with Controlled destruction slotted multiplied by number of golems + the ignite DPS (Can only be one ignite on the enemy at once). Probably best to untick using Power Charges if you want to be accurate vs bosses.

Hey and welcome back to Golems!

I'll be checking what you can cook up this time ;)

Marks wording is pretty vague, but seems to point that first line wont affect Golems. However I will leave the chance open as nobody knows without stats. At least it certain that harmonies are best jewels to increase Golems damage.

I will probably upgrade my harmonies slowly to 30%/15%/20% rolls just in case the first line would affect the Golems. Just in case ;)

"
What jewel would you prefer? Minions deal 16% damage or minions deal 17 additional fire damage?

Hello :)

Both cobalt and abyss jewels have very useful lines.

Abyss jewels are nice as they can have "Minions have 8% chance to hinder enemies with spells" which is pretty good with Golems.

Cobalt ones have increased damage, which adds quite lot more damage to minions compared to even max rolled "added fire damage to minions".

I'd say its best to use the better ones you can get with 4x useful lines. I think perfect Cobalt ones will be better with increased minion damage, minion res, increased max ES and all elemental res for char. However Abyss jewels are easier to find and are very cheap right now.

"
how to leveling with this build ? sry i dont find the leveling post :x

"
Look at the section called "Leveling" which points you to a post a few down on the first page.

Hey :)

Yep, leveling is in post #3. I had to cut guide in parts as it's still almost 100k char even after 3 rewrites truing to make it shorter :/

"
How important is the glove enchantment "of reflection"?

"
It's a nice bonus, that's all. Can split aggro a bit and leaves chaos damage when it disappears from Beacon of Corruption. I'd say the one that leaves chilled ground is also acceptable. None of the glove or boot enchants are a very big deal for the build.

Hi :)

The enhancement is pretty easy to get as there are about 10 mods in total and you can run Merci Lab for it. I got mine in 5x tries.

The enhancement adds lots of defense as the clone will drap aggro extremely well while Phase Run is dropping aggro from you.

It won't however save you from 1 hit bosses like Minotaur or Shaper as the clone wont have time to come out after one hit.

If you have few hours to run and lab has good layout, it's certainly worth getting. I would never recommend running Uber lab for the enhancement as it just adds some HP to clone.

"
Hi Shiverwarp & Mika2salo -

I am now level 90 and basically fully geared. I went with an almost identical build as Shiverwarp's RIP'd HC version.

Good news - I have 4.8k HP/5k ES. 75 all res, 75 chaos. Golems never die. I can do every T15 map, chis/alch/vaal, sextant with ZERO chance of death and pretty fast clear. Bosses are no issue. No mod's really prevent mapping. Guardians fully modded maps are easy as well.

Bad news - I am having a HELL of a time trying to beat shaper. 3 tries (expensive) have failed. All in the 3rd phase around 20% HP left on him. I think my problem is 2 fold. 1) Theres so much crap flying around that it becomes extremely hard not to get "2-3 shot" (within 1 second). 2) My damage output seems to be too slow for Shaper ONLY. Every other map/boss in the game is a joke with their damage.

I am seeking both your advice. My character sheet is public, if either of you could please take a look. My goal is still to kill shaper with this character.

Question 1: Anything on my gear, skills, jewels or tree look 100% bad for shaper kill goal?
Question 2: Do I go with an Elder/Shaped Minion Life/Damage helm for Spectre's for more damage, but lose significant ES and Evasion? Thinking this damage bump could help speed up the 3rd phase of Shaper.
Question 3: Presence of Chulula would give me reduction on stuns (350 ms stuns shaper hits with due to high DPS), and about 450EHP over my current build. Would it significantly change my build though?

So far - I will say this its my most powerful character in POE to date. Just upset at the difficulty of Shaper vs rest of game :). Thanks for the advice so far Shiverwarp and Mika2salo! It was a blast playing this Flame Golem build!!!

"

"

I didn't know that meele range caused him to skip the ball attack. Ill try that out.

For the Spirit Offering CWC, it takes awhile to cast and get it up after its up it helps alot. The totem does die, a lot even with good positioning. What should i do for the replacement instead of totem?

I will re-socket GMP in my unearth. I was just trying out culling due to having him so low so many times.

Hey and thanks for support :)

First danger in you setup is that you are using channeling skill without going for max block with bone offering or max damage with adding specters. The default setup is extremely mobile as it has no cast skill expect totem, so you are always focused on kiting boss moves. If you cast channeling skill, you cant just start running when boss decides to hit you.

I would go for max block with no charity or max damage with Specters in Shaper fight. You can even add both if you want. I have info about it in post #6 "75%/75% MAX BLOCK, 4X FLAME GOLEMS, 3X SPECTERS, 1x ANIMATE GUARDIAN VARIANT". You can also check my league char for links and gear changes.

Your gear looks pretty good, but higher level Enhance in Vertex would help a lot.

Maybe swap spirit offering in boots with Bone Offering, drop Necro Aegis and take Rathpith as shield for Shaper Fight?

One thing Shaper needs is raw practice. You can check my or Wonderful247s videos about how to do Shaper deathless. Wonderful can run Shaper deathless almost naked, but hes god of kiting :D

You need to be very careful with Shaper Smash. Quicksilver flask is best against it as Shiverwarp said.

When the bubbles start following you, try to burst them at outer edge or arena or try not to break any at all. Its doable but needs excellent timing.

Change network code to "lagstep" for boss fights so you wont desync when Shaper decided to do big moves.

"
Thanks for the guide

Thanks for support! ^^
[3.12] Flame Golem 101 - Complete Guide To Golemancy, All Bosses Down, Necro, Elementalist
https://tinyurl.com/y8k9fa2f
Last edited by mika2salo on Jan 17, 2018, 2:21:11 PM
thx for the guide :) <3
Is the Projectile Weakness / Temp Chain setup you got on your standard character also viable?
"
mika2salo wrote:

Hey and thanks for support :)

First danger in you setup is that you are using channeling skill without going for max block with bone offering or max damage with adding specters. The default setup is extremely mobile as it has no cast skill expect totem, so you are always focused on kiting boss moves. If you cast channeling skill, you cant just start running when boss decides to hit you.

I would go for max block with no charity or max damage with Specters in Shaper fight. You can even add both if you want. I have info about it in post #6 "75%/75% MAX BLOCK, 4X FLAME GOLEMS, 3X SPECTERS, 1x ANIMATE GUARDIAN VARIANT". You can also check my league char for links and gear changes.

Your gear looks pretty good, but higher level Enhance in Vertex would help a lot.

Maybe swap spirit offering in boots with Bone Offering, drop Necro Aegis and take Rathpith as shield for Shaper Fight?

One thing Shaper needs is raw practice. You can check my or Wonderful247s videos about how to do Shaper deathless. Wonderful can run Shaper deathless almost naked, but hes god of kiting :D

You need to be very careful with Shaper Smash. Quicksilver flask is best against it as Shiverwarp said.

When the bubbles start following you, try to burst them at outer edge or arena or try not to break any at all. Its doable but needs excellent timing.

Change network code to "lagstep" for boss fights so you wont desync when Shaper decided to do big moves.

So did a complete overhaul going towards your 75/75 max block, 4 golem and 3x specters. I have 75/75 with Rumi's up now. Hope that helps with Shaper.

Where do I find Tukohama's Vanguard to create spectre's of them? Is there a specific map for them?

"
Nirvanatone wrote:

So did a complete overhaul going towards your 75/75 max block, 4 golem and 3x specters. I have 75/75 with Rumi's up now. Hope that helps with Shaper.

Where do I find Tukohama's Vanguard to create spectre's of them? Is there a specific map for them?

Yeah block is probably a better option for Shaper instead of recovery, where you can just get lucky sometimes and not die (especially in softcore where you can have multiple tries even if you do die)

Your damage will be lacking a bit without necro aegis victario's, but shouldn't matter if you can stay alive longer. Golems might be more likely to die without Spirit Offering buff however.

Tukohamas Vanguard's show up in Act 6 in the Coast. You'll want to re-summon them in the actual shaper map with a high level desecrate, just in case you weren't already aware of that.

"
I will probably upgrade my harmonies slowly to 30%/15%/20% rolls just in case the first line would affect the Golems. Just in case ;)

You'll also want to make sure golem cast rate is enough to make use of the extra cooldown, especially if you're not using victario's charity. And it isn't just in case, the test is conclusive. You actually want to focus on the first stat because it has more swing (10%).
Last edited by Shiverwarp on Jan 17, 2018, 6:38:07 PM
Hey Hey mika2salo,

thanks for your guide - I really enjoy your build so far. I got one simple question - I am not able to cast golems anymore with two auras setup - temp chains and disciple. Any ideas on this matter?

Thank you in advance!
"
Shiverwarp wrote:
I'm back on the golem train! I'm in the middle of making another variation of the Spirit Offering defense, this time using a 6L chest for the defensive offering links and an elder helm for the golems.

So, that means I was able to complete the testing I was going on about earlier in the thread, and I can finally say:

Golems gain cooldown reduction from BOTH stats on Harmony jewels!
"
All testing should be done where golem is permanently at range and has no possible pathing options to reach melee range. Also using Primordial Might to ensure no variance from requiring user attack commands.

For each test:

1. How many casts over a certain time period. 60 seconds seems fine.
snip 2-7
2. Record what happens when moving golem far enough away to recharge. Wait various time periods
3. How long it takes for a full "volley"
4. How many balls in a full volley
5. Do we see the same "Volley into 1 cast every x seconds" behaviour?
6. Any variance for extended periods attacking
7. How many Magma balls they use immediately after being summoned

Test Baseline Behaviour (No Cooldown Reduction, No increased cast speed)
Unlinked golem, no harmonies, no eminence, no auras
snip 2-6

Test High Cast Speed Behaviour (No Cooldown Reduction, High cast speed)
Golem linked to faster casting + minion speed, no harmonies, several eminence, haste aura

Confirm Which Cooldown Stat Affects Golems
Unlinked Golem, Harmonies with exactly 100% total "Golem Skills have (20-30)% increased Cooldown Recovery Speed" , No eminence, No auras

Here try to use only 4 Harmonies, so that we have the least amount of the other stat.

Unlinked Golem, Harmonies with exactly 100% total "Golems have (10-15)% increased Cooldown Recovery Speed" , No eminence, No auras

Here try to use the most amount of Harmonies, so that we have the highest amount of the other stat. If the other stat is having an effect, we will see more total casts than expected.

Observe Effects of High Cooldown Reduction
Unlinked Golem, 15 harmonies with the highest stat of the cooldown stat confirmed in previous tests, No eminence, no auras

Observe Effects of High Cast Speed and High Cooldown Reduction
Golem linked to faster casting + minion speed, 15 harmonies with the highest stat of the cooldown stat confirmed in previous tests, Eminence in remaining jewel slots, haste aura

Okay, I went ahead and bought some more Harmonies to hit the nice and even 100% figures and did some of your prescribed testing, slightly modified (key word being "some"; this is way more analyzing than I ever wanted to get into lol).

Anway, after all this testing, you have me convinced.

1) It definitely feels like a charge-based system
2) The numbers seem to indicate both CD stats decrease cooldown
- It also makes sense from an item text standpoint that both would count, despite what Mark said.
3) Assuming #2 is true though, I don't know if we can say that cast speed inflates DPS.
- It seems like in most practical use cases, Spell Echo by itself isn't enough to outpace the cooldown rate.

I'm going to chalk up the initial 2-shot volleys to an anomaly that will have to wait another day to be explained. I'd feel a lot better if GGG officially confirmed it of course. Not holding my breath though...

Thank you for all of the thought you put into this.

"
Aboba wrote:
I just did few tests as well, as a data point for you guys, but then I got into it.
Thanks to you as well for helping everyone test!

"
mika2salo wrote:
I think it's more beneficial if you could take part of Elementalist questions. Arguing over which one is better is pretty hard as the thread is labeled Necro only and I'm optimizing only the Necro side as I feel it has been performing better for me.

There are however always those who are interested in Elementalist version. As you have counless play-hours with that class you may provide more indepth answers. I will always promote Necro over Elementalist but I'm not saying that Elementalist is impossible to get to work and I can guide interested players to contact you. It would work fine if you want to take part in helping those players ;)
I'm happy to offer advice where I can, but I prefer to lurk to be honest. The only reason I read this thread is because it's one of the few active places to regularly discuss POE golem builds on the internet. Arguing over an internet forum is one of the last things I want to do, especially with a build guide author on their own thread. Nor am I claiming one Ascendancy is superior to the other. If I see something off I sometimes try to correct it though.

As you said, your thread is labeled Necro in the sticky. However, it's also tagged with a rather click-baity "Complete Guide To Golemancy". Yet on numerous occasions I've seen questionable info being provided, not only regarding Flame Golementalists, but also Flame Golemancer, and Ice/Lightning/Chaos/Stone golems for both Ascendancies. Nobody is perfect of course, but I think build guides should be less about promoting a certain view and more about sharing accurate, unbiased info. I think that will help people following guides more than anything else.

"
MrsDeath_ wrote:
and also i d like to add that elementalist golems are pretty weak now due to minions cant deal dmg when you die ...
There are numerous examples of Golementalists clearing all content easily and deathlessly ever since the introduction of Primordial Jewels. Not being able to kill while dead simply filtered out bad tactics, not a bad build. Moreover, the kill while dead thing was something Spectre builds and Golemancer builds all abused as well.

"
Shiverwarp wrote:
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:
well anyway its all a waste of time.
just get the 15% increased cooldown reduction jewels and run it.
i just finished the game with my 6l spectre 6l golems hybrid necro and i havent failed even 1 map..
my point is its not worth a debate or hypothesis.

I simply can't agree that it's not worth optimizing damage in a build. It's practically what PoE build creation is all about!

Especially in Hardcore, if I can squeeze out enough damage in fewer points, then I can invest more in defenses.

Just saying "it's good enough, even though it seems we can get more" doesn't make sense to me.
Out of all the things I've read on this thread, this is definitely the one I agree with the most.

"
mika2salo wrote:
It might be impossible to verify how Golems really work if we don't reply from GGG. However stacking Harmonies has been tested the most and I would be very careful in adding Eminenses to the mix as they seem to do very little.
Like a lot of skills in the game, golem damage scales off more than one variable. As an example, if you have a skill that is already enhanced with +500% combined/fudged More & Increased Damage and +100% Cast Speed, which jewel will help you more?

A) +10% cast speed (typical numbers for a jewel)
B) +20% damage (again typical numbers)

Jewel A boosts your overall damage by 5%. Jewel B, despite providing "double" the face value in numbers only provides ~3% boost.

I agree that Harmony should be the priority, but I think Eminence should be added after:
1) you have sufficient Golem regen
2) if you start hitting diminishing returns with Harmony

"
hey ive got a math question about golems:
i was using 6 golems as an elementarist

4flame
1light (buff)
1stone (buff)

and like 8 gems witch buff 20%golem damage for each golem type so 60%per gem.

so that alone is 480% golem damage. with 4 golems.

+90%minion damage from tree = 570% with 4.

so how much damage do i lose when using 6 golems of one type ?

thats 250%golem damage with 6 golems
2 more golems is like +33%damage but i lose 320% golem damage.

i know for a fact that the 4/1/1 is more damage cuz some ppl did the math

but how much more is it ?
First, if you are playing 3+ types of golems, I believe you should skip all minion nodes (both DPS and life/res) from the tree, even the Gravepact cluster (unless you just have a 1 or 2 leftover points). Primordial Jewels will provide more value on average (including the passive point cost to get to a jewel slot). Save those points and grab a 2-3 more jewels and/or more ES/Life. Let's assume you have 10 Harmony now after doing that:

4.1.1 Golems
+ 100% (your base damage)
+ 600% (10x perfect Harmony with 3 golem types)
--------------------
= 700%
x 4 golems
--------------------
= 2800% of your base 5 or 6-link

(This is without counting extra damage from your sub-golems, which is actually fairly significant. There's a misconception that the sub-golems provide very little damage. They can pack a punch on their own and against tough bosses they can provide 10% damage at the very minimum with just a level 1 Culling Strike.)

6.0.0 Golems
+ 100% (your base damage)
+ 200% (10x perfect Harmony with 1 golem type)
--------------------
= 300%
x 6 golems
--------------------
= 1800% of your base 5 or 6-link

It's a pretty big hit, but it may (or may not) be worth it if you're just focused on getting more coverage and farming lower-tier maps. More sample calculations here (including both ELE and NEC)

"
Anakhon wrote:
I don't argue one is better than another, IMHO elementalists also allow more changes, since you don't need some passives / gems, but it's just different playstyle for a same base build.
This guy gets it.

"
mika2salo wrote:
Both classes work great when you know what you are doing. Necro has just more useful ascendancy nodes in total.
Yes, in total. But number of useful nodes doesn't necessarily measure overall worth.

"
ready2r wrote:
With the new Watcher's Eye giving 2.5% ES regen.. would it be worth it to throw a point into Zealot's Oath? Just a quick PoB and not going out of the way for more Life regen nodes... im getting 382 ES regen with watchers. (462 ES regen with the 3 nodes next to Sanctity)
Somewhat off-topic, but there was one guy a while back that did a ES regen tank with golems. Took a lot longer to kill things of course, but the regen was significant enough to be reliable for hard content. This was before the ES nerf though.

"
Nirvanatone wrote:
"
Shiverwarp wrote:

(snip)

I don't believe this is correct. The ball attack is used even in melee range.

⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Jan 18, 2018, 10:11:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info