NZGDC 2016 Developer Presentation: Labyrinth Design

They gate ascendancy points behind the lab because they are fully aware if they put them outside almost nobody but some enchant farmers will ever bother with it.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
They gate ascendancy points behind the lab because they are fully aware if they put them outside almost nobody but some enchant farmers will ever bother with it.

Indeed. Those who like it are probably the guys who spend the day selling lab runs. XD
I think the only grip I would have with the lab is the sheer number of times you need to run it to get a decent enchant for your build (mainstream or not). There's been several days when (crucify me if you want) looked up the layout and just ran for 8 hours straight about 10 min runs and didn't see a single enchant that I could "use". I say that relatively of course due to the fact I could have sold the helm, gloves, boots to somebody that could use them but I don't really trade much.

TLDR: Make the enchants a bit less random, say maybe you can choose between 1-5 depending on difficulty of the lab. Normal you have 1 choice (since it matters less) Cruel you have 2 choices etc etc. I think this would properly reward those that dislike the lab but really want the enchants as some are quite powerful.
"
shogunngt wrote:
Lab's a great change to the above flash-and-dash garbage that everyone seems to think is the core of this game. Now you've got to think, react, and actually watch what's going on on the screen, not just spam your attack skill and/or flasks.

Yes, some builds have a tougher time than others in the lab, and yes, you can die to an unfortunate lag spike. I've died to both, many, many times - sometimes it's a double crit from Izaro that I didn't flask in time for, sometimes a string of traps that I didn't dodge well or got caught by a slow field or a pack of mobs that prevented me from moving out quickly enough.

But I keep going back, because to me, it's just way more enjoyable. And the current rewards seem right with the silver chests, hidden coffers, and treasure chests and enchantment if you manage to defeat the final Izaro. That way I don't feel I've lost too much in terms of drops as opposed to running 10 or so maps that the lab takes.

Maybe there's a way to help out those builds who seems to suffer most when running the lab, but please do not remove the lab or it's rewards.

And for heaven's sake, please don't just gift ascendancy points at level intervals as one poster suggested. Not saying those have to be earned from running lab like it is now, but please don't cave to the "Gimme Uber Nao" generation. Make 'em earn it, somehow.

+1, i think the Lab is a nice and fresh feature.
IGN: Odolinde
There is 1 thing about the lab that needs to be changed and that is the charges.

I mean if izaro has charges then i know i will die if not then i will survive ez np.
its hard to gauge exzatcly when the life will be over and you can only remove the charges 3 times.

I whould ask you to redo or change the charge mechanics on izaro.
There are understandably those younger fellas/ladies that have no idea of games and their history and ofcourse they find the lab "refreshing". For the rest, older base of poe :

Thats what lab feels like, an annoyance, a game copy pasted from the golden age of arcades and implmented inside another COMPLETELY different game and playstyle, and on top of that IT IS THE PREREQUISITE to get MANDATORY character progression SKILLS
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
The Lab is not boring (if there were no traces of d-sync). But it should not be bound with the ascendancy points as there are many people do not like it. And somebody who love the lab would not suffer the risk of losing their fun with the ascendancy points out of the lab. Besides, there might be a new enchantment master to make it less random.
People who don't like the Labyrinth are not a minority: Be heard - say you don't like it in your signature. Don't leave complaining about lab to others - GGG needs to see how many people dislike it. Ascendancy must be gated on true ARPG content, not a poorly-crafted internet Legend of Zelda wannabe.
For me the labyrinth's only positive function is making the rest of the game feel awesome. For things to feel more awesome you need annoying things aka labyrinth ;)
Last edited by leto2626 on Jan 25, 2017, 10:30:48 AM
Can we just not have the Labyrinth already? Nobody likes this.
"
shogunngt wrote:
And as for final uber Izaro, you gotta be able to take a hit and recover. Swap out one of the three quicksilver flasks you normally run with for something that heals - quickly. Or go with a long-lasting granite flask to improve physical damage reduction - Izzy's most damaging attacks are phys based. Quit trying to face-tank or dps him all on one go. Move! Find a safe spot in the room, away from deadly traps. Disable the increased damage sentinels so that a single crit can't cause a one-hit KO. Then attack when he's just completed one of his most damaging attacks, as there's usually a second or two where he won't do anything but just a basic attack. Don't stay too long, tho especially when you see that green circle or he starts to spin. Also, keep up a totem and golem - extra targets for izzy and his minons that are not you.

Most importantly, learn to keep off all of his buffs in the previous two fights. Those buffs can make a world of difference to the difficulty of the final fight. You don't get as a many keys, but you hate lab anyway, and are just doing it for the points and enchantment, right? So make it easier on yourself and just get it done.

This is my main problem with the Lab: the conduits, disruptors, essences, gargoyles, idols, lieutenants, portals, and fonts are completely non-intuitive. Izaro has multiple attacks and one-shot potential, but I'm expected to learn 8 different fights by having to mouseover the mechanics mid-fight and read multiple lines of text? And not immediately understanding what the mechanics do buffs Izaro for the rest of the Lab. WTF. The very nature of the lab only gives you one chance to figure out each fight, and I play HC so I really only get one chance.

The result? I just over-level and trivialize the whole thing as much as possible for normal/cruel and haven't attempted the others.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info