Solo Self-Found Support in 2.6.0

I never want to discourage GGG from trying out new things, so I will say "good on you" for setting this up. It doesn't seem like something that requires a huge amount of resources to implement, which is a nice bonus.

That said, this addition to the game will be useless and hold very little appeal to the vast majority of SSF players, for obvious reasons: Most of us are already not interested in engaging with other players in the game (even if we are active on the forums), so why would we give a crap about bragging rights? We won't start over to play in a new league just for that; we'll just continue playing as we always have.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but the posts I have read appear to confirm this. The players most excited about this are ones who do not already play SSF and think this is a good excuse to try it out.

Now, I hope you do not take this as an implicit criticism that you are not doing enough, and that you should, for example, reduce the pain RNG provides to SSF, because it decidedly is not. I have been an SSF player since I started this game (mostly by accident--since you can't drop random shit in town, I never had the same opportunities I did in D2 to interact with random strangers and, eventually, make friends in the game), and I have been playing the game since beta. But I have many 80+ chars and a couple of 90+ ones and I can definitively say that you do not have to be a no-lifer to succeed in this game with RNG at its current settings.

There are, however, QoL improvements that you could make which will simultaneously benefit the SSF and non-SSF communities, and I am hopeful that you will see this as an opportunity to implement them. The most obvious one is more currency trading options with the vendors. Allowing us to trade with vendors at a rate with noticeably lower profit margins than the market rate will help non-SSF players who don't want to bother finding an eligible partner every time they want to do a currency exchange. Think of the less-desirable rate as a transaction fee. Americans, at least, should be used to this by now, with the horribly exploitative transaction fees that ATMs in America now have. :P
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Jan 23, 2017, 11:49:43 PM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

That said, this addition to the game will be useless and hold very little appeal to the vast majority of SSF players, for obvious reasons: Most of us are already not interested in engaging with other players in the game (even if we are active on the forums), so why would we give a crap about bragging rights? We won't start over to play in a new league just for that; we'll just continue playing as we always have.

That only applies to players that play SSF in standard. Players that play the leagues or hardcore will probably be fine to play the SSF league ladder. Some of them probably even enthustiastically because of the ability to migrate out of SSF at any time. Which gives them the ability to essentially restart a league -- some people find the leg up the most fun, rather than the end goal.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

There are, however, QoL improvements that you could make which will simultaneously benefit the SSF and non-SSF communities, and I am hopeful that you will see this as an opportunity to implement them. The most obvious one is more currency trading options with the vendors. Allowing us to trade with vendors at a rate with noticeably lower profit margins than the market rate will help non-SSF players who don't want to bother finding an eligible partner every time they want to do a currency exchange. Think of the less-desirable rate as a transaction fee. Americans, at least, should be used to this by now, with the horribly exploitative transaction fees that ATMs in America now have. :P

I've been arguing for vendors to sell all currency for ages. I think the reason they don't is partly because they don't want there to be a set price for exalts, or mirrors. The market rates are actually pretty flexible, and change from league to league. And I only know this because I watch streamers occasionally and they are all too happy to tell you about their 20 chaos exalt, when in standard and the regular league it goes for over 70 chaos. In any case it would be nice if they did start selling all currency from vendors, although I don't think they ever will.
So now that you've said player opinion is worth more than player interaction, can we get a fixed price, buyout only broker system already?
can't launch the game :/
Standard is already the place where everything goes. What would it hurt to either massively increase crafting/currency drops or provide a cheap way to trade them up in the standard league to see how it turns out? You won't be compromising anything in a league that already has everything from every league there ever was. And it gives solo self found people like me a place to experience the crafting game for real without needing to flip items in town for a few days until I have stacks of it.

I can't speak for every self found player out there but I'd be completely satisfied being able to play my SSF game in standard under a system that gives SSF playstyles the opportunity to experience the same game as someone who trades all day. Bonus if you bring back IIQ and imprinting there as well. It doesn't have to be a part of the new/race leagues though. I just want to experience crafting where I'm actually able to make something useful for once considering how rarely anything useful drops. I've learned to build characters that can derp their way through the big fights by getting really lucky and that gets me by in new leagues. But I'd still love to experience the rest of the game somewhere without needing to become a capitalist. I play the game to play not to be a salesman.
I think this solo self found business is just to test the waters for the upcoming console version which will likely be without multiplayer
Seems like a waste.

Why would you prove to someone you went self found? Kind of defeats the purpose. You're playing a solo game.

Could see the point about console version ... still laughable.

+1 to whatever everyone above has said.

Glad to see development is happening in other fields, just sad it's this direction.

† You were a good man in a bad situation, Fairgraves. †
See what I am currently after here: 1767138
Thanks Chris! 2797098
"
morbo wrote:
"
tmaciak wrote:
The only point to play temp league for me, is to get temp league specific uniques and I will not get it playing SSF. I even don't sell much, only some spare crap and do most currency just by farming and converting small farmed currency.

What is the point to play SSF in 3 month temp league timeframe here if you are not streamer playing 10 hours a day? You will not get anything serious in that time.

As I understood it, you can still convert your SSF char toward the end of the league and buy all the league specific items with your SSF wealth. You will have less $$ for not selling things throughout the league, but still.

You know, this feature looks exactly like having this in mind: "we heard that there are ppls who don't like economeh, so let's give them a ghetto to decay in" and say in few month "we added support for SSF and nobody play is, so we are set".

Yes, I don't like economeh, I don't trade and I don't have 10-12 hours per day to burn in game, but it doesn't mean, that I want to level 100th character using 4 link skill in T5 map and call it a day and start anew. And if you don't accept at least one of mentioned "don't" you will nothing interesting here in 3 months.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
I'll check it out. Been playing for years now and just a couple weeks ago I bought something off another player I didn't know for the first time! Otherwise I play pretty much SSF except swapping stuff back and forth with guildmates on occasion. I rarely party even with them and never have with strangers.

This sounds neat, I'll make a toon for it.
Finest Hardcore Gaming Guild ~Soldiers of the Wasteland~ sotwguild.com
"
Arcis wrote:
afaik, the main reason people want a SSF league is so the game doesn't have to be balanced around the fact that trading will always be much more efficient than soloing. if there are no additional benefits to playing SSF, i think this has missed the point.

No, i think your missing the point of why people play SSF in the first place.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info