Trading Etiquette for New Players

1. Buyer sends the whisper to seller and awaits a response. DO NOT invite seller to a party. Seller initiates invite!

2. Buyer goes to sellers hideout. Just like you going to the store to pick up milk. If the seller has blocked access, they make the trip, so if that's the case, head over and wait in your hideout.

3. Buyer goes with cash in hand. Grab you're moneyz first and be ready to pay.

4. Seller initiates trades when they are ready. Wait for them! They have to find the stuffs you want.

5. Everyone wins.

That's the trade etiquette. Please learn it so you can avoid messy, sticky, chewy situations :)

May the force be with you.
Deliver pain exquisite
Last edited by ultratiem on Jan 12, 2017, 5:47:48 PM
Last bumped on Jan 13, 2017, 11:55:08 AM
Yup. It really makes me laugh when people arrive in my h/o and they see me coming out of a map and immediately send a trade request...like do you think I have been carrying around that shav's in my inventory?
Agree

"

3. Buyer goes with cash in hand. Grab you're moneyz first and be ready to pay.

I'd add: If seller sees buyer running around in their HO, tell the buyer where the stash is.
Sometimes people forget to grab money or made a numerical error.
KMGL Guild: /3193350
twitch.tv/AethrozTV
I just started trading a few days ago. Here's my take as a new trader.

For the veteran players....Please remember that trading can be confusing and intimidating for new players until they have done it a couple of times. The trade process is not plainly obvious if you have never done it. A little patience and assistance if someone has questions will be appreciated by the new trader who is trying to do it the right way.

That said, there are some good tutorials on YouTube. If you want to start trading, watch those a couple of times until you understand what to do, and what not to do. You don't want to initiate a trade without having any idea of the process. Don't waste peoples time!!

I spent some time making sure I understood the process, and my first few trades have been quick and easy.
A couple of additional points of etiquette that I'd add:

• When messaging someone to buy an item just copy the message that poe.trade generates. "WTB your ring" is not useful.

• If you want to make an offer on an item that offer should be included with the original message; still copy the message from poe.trade, then place your offer after that message in a way that's easy to see. Suddenly trying to negotiate a different price after the seller has invited you and left their map does not go over well. This includes paying in equivalent but different currency from the listed b/o.

• Be polite. This goes for both buyers and sellers, new traders and old hats. If someone makes a lowball offer don't start insulting them, a simple "no thanks" is enough. If someone rejects your offer just move on, don't start on a tirade about how their asking price is unreasonable. And after a successful trade say "Thank you" or something along those lines. Just a bit of politeness makes life better for everyone.
Thanks for your contributions guys. I just wanted to hit the major pain points and keep it really succinct. There are little nuances about how to make offers, how to actually whisper people or what to do in case of x y or z that I have omitted but I'm glad you guys raised them.

We were all knew once but sometimes we forget that :3
Deliver pain exquisite
"
MeWhenum wrote:
Yup. It really makes me laugh when people arrive in my h/o and they see me coming out of a map and immediately send a trade request...like do you think I have been carrying around that shav's in my inventory?

Ya I find that really rude. I've had people who me and instantly send a party invite. Almost ripped a few times with that big ass notice going up. Didn't start things off on the right foot lemme tell you!
Deliver pain exquisite
Got to love when they don't even tried to make sense of what they want to buy too. Like random people pming me "want to buy ring", like seriously? Do people expect me to read their mind or something? I have like 3 tabs of random rings, how i'm supposed to find it with just that.

Oh and another thing that you could add to the list:

*At least say a small "Ty" after buying/selling, is just like 1 sec to type at max. I mean it doesn't hurt to be nice to the other players, does it?
6. If you are going to pay with alternate currencies ask first or you will end into ignore list
Hf :)
Good advice, but I think that people who don't know how to trade also don't know about the existence of these forums.
Spreading salt since 2006

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info