New hardware preventing me from playing

Since you can all can run windows, I'm like 99% sure the RAM card is fine.

My guess is that some games like poe check which type/kind of ram you have when it boots for the first time, and stores this info in the settings file. This will mean that every time you ran poe, it recognized the old ram and worked fine. Then when you switched your RAM, and poe didn't check for a new type of RAM(as it already knew and had it stored in the settings file), it gave an error due to working with the old RAM's restrictions/settings. This means that "core" message is simply saying you changed your RAM, while poe's settings still wants to use the old RAM.
Very likely solution: Simply delete the poe settings file. Just google which one it is, and/or which one stores which RAM poe uses. Deleting this settings file should make poe take a new look at your hardware, and recognize the new RAM.

This is just my educated guess though :)

PS: This is a very likely solution, also I don't see anyone here mentioning they re-installed poe, as that would likely also fix the issue. And if they did, if they deleted the poe settings file too(not sure if it stays after poe is removed).
Last edited by sarannah101 on Jan 12, 2017, 12:39:20 AM
I have tried the Pack Check, yes, and it doesn't seem to do anything to get me closer to playing again.

Here's the pastebin of the dxdiag: http://pastebin.com/xngn3zb0

Could the file I'm looking for possibly be production_Config.ini? I didn't google it because I'm not really sure what keywords to use for this case, but I did go look through the places that PoE files are located, and it's possible I didn't delete that one from My Documents when I deleted my non-steam version. I don't want to go rampantly deleting files without knowing whether or not they can be replaced though, so unless there are other places that store config files, I'll wait for confirmation to delete this file.
"
DeputyIce wrote:
I have tried the Pack Check, yes, and it doesn't seem to do anything to get me closer to playing again.

Could the file I'm looking for possibly be production_Config.ini? I didn't google it because I'm not really sure what keywords to use for this case, but I did go look through the places that PoE files are located, and it's possible I didn't delete that one from My Documents when I deleted my non-steam version. I don't want to go rampantly deleting files without knowing whether or not they can be replaced though, so unless there are other places that store config files, I'll wait for confirmation to delete this file.

I believe that is the file yes. You could delete it to the bin, and don't fully delete it. Or copy it to another folder, and delete the original, then place it back if it didn't work.

Pack-check wouldn't help in this case. Pack check checks if files which were downloadeded are complete/contain all the information they should. It won't check if the information within the file itself is correct though, it will only check if the information is present. Pack check mostly helps with corrupt files, wrongly downloaded files, missing files, things like that.

The game should replace the removed .ini file when it isn't present. Though you will have to re-do all your poe settings.

Goodluck!

PS: If you ever were to delete a wrong file/necessary file, pack check would replace it.
Last edited by sarannah101 on Jan 12, 2017, 2:12:52 AM
"
DeputyIce wrote:

"
I believe that is the file yes. You could delete it to the bin, and don't fully delete it. Or copy it to another folder, and delete the original, then place it back if it didn't work.

Pack-check wouldn't help in this case. Pack check checks if files which were downloadeded are complete/contain all the information they should. It won't check if the information within the file itself is correct though, it will only check if the information is present. Pack check mostly helps with corrupt files, wrongly downloaded files, missing files, things like that.

The game should replace the removed .ini file when it isn't present. Though you will have to re-do all your poe settings.

Goodluck!

PS: If you ever were to delete a wrong file/necessary file, pack check would replace it.

It still fails to initialise after deleting production_config.ini.

What now?
Last edited by DeputyIce on Jan 12, 2017, 3:48:19 AM
Is the failed to initialise a new error or the same? As noone in this thread seems to describe the exact error.

Anyways, I have once had a failed to initialise error. For me it turned out my speakers were broken(though still working!). After replacing them, the error was gone. When the speakers were broken, I could run everything normally, except poe. For some reason PoE was sensitive enough to detect it.

Since you guys are reporting other games are working fine, the problem has to be with path of exile itself. It might be that the harddrive poe is located on has broken clusters. Other than that, I doubt this is a hardware or driver issue, as like you guys are saying, all other programs work fine.

Some other things you could try(do not try these steps if you do not know what you are doing):
1: Go to device manager(right click "this computer" -> properties -> device manager), and see if anything has an exclamation mark. If so, try to get the drivers for that hardware. Then try to run poe.

2: Go to the folder where the .ini file was located(documents folder), and delete everything(except maybe the item filter). Then try to run poe, if the files are faulty, it will re-download them. Might also want to check packages after this again if that still didn't work.

3: Try to remove path of exile from software(uninstall), and re-install. If the harddrive poe is on has/had broken clusters, the re-install will install poe on undamaged clusters as damaged clusters get marked by windows and will remain unused.

4: If you have another harddrive, move only the PoE game folder there(not the documents folder part, though you might want to try my option 2 before doing this). Then run PoE. If it was a broken harddrive, it will see the game is faulty, and re-download the faulty files.

5: Very advanced, only try this if you really know what you are doing! Go to the bios, as maybe the old RAM came with specific bios settings. *Note: Only poe might be sensitive enough to even reach/notice these specific settings* Try to set the bios to default, or most optimized settings. Note: If there is anything wrong with some other hardware, it will not show up in the bios. So you might want to look around if all hardware that is in the computer is recognized.

If anyone tries any of these things, be very carefull. Do not delete anything if you do not know what it is! Other than that, all steps are safe, except 1 and 5. Step one is only dangerous if you start messing with the hardware settings, step 5 is only dangerous if you do not know what you are doing and start messing with the bios settings.

PS: I purposely did not explain how to get in the bios!
Last edited by sarannah101 on Jan 12, 2017, 5:43:13 AM
The error code appears to be the same.

"
2017/01/12 10:40:28 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2017/01/12 10:40:34 178588234 ff [INFO Client 4480] Changing to device "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
2017/01/12 10:40:35 178589093 305 [CRIT Client 4480] Failed to initialise UI::Core with error code 4
2017/01/12 10:41:14 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2017/01/12 10:41:15 178628890 ff [INFO Client 5696] Changing to device "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
2017/01/12 10:41:15 178628968 305 [CRIT Client 5696] Failed to initialise UI::Core with error code 4

I already deleted and reinstalled this once. That can't be the problem because it didn't solve anything.
Last edited by DeputyIce on Jan 12, 2017, 8:08:29 AM
"
DeputyIce wrote:
The error code appears to be the same.

"
2017/01/12 10:40:28 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2017/01/12 10:40:34 178588234 ff [INFO Client 4480] Changing to device "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
2017/01/12 10:40:35 178589093 305 [CRIT Client 4480] Failed to initialise UI::Core with error code 4
2017/01/12 10:41:14 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2017/01/12 10:41:15 178628890 ff [INFO Client 5696] Changing to device "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
2017/01/12 10:41:15 178628968 305 [CRIT Client 5696] Failed to initialise UI::Core with error code 4

I already deleted and reinstalled this once. That can't be the problem because it didn't solve anything.

Hmm, if none of my above steps worked... Try this: disconnect all power from your pc. then disconnect your speakers from your pc. Then re-power and reboot the pc without the speakers in it, then re-start poe. See what it does.

Why the above step: When looking at the log file, it says it initialises the speakers, and then it gives an error, with the same code as the speaker line. You might have the exact same problem as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, my speakers being broken(but still working sound) and only poe could detect it. It was something about the current to it that went wrong. So, try it without speakers once.
"
2017/01/12 18:58:20 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2017/01/12 18:58:23 208457546 ff [INFO Client 5748] Changing to device "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
2017/01/12 18:58:24 208458671 305 [CRIT Client 5748] Failed to initialise UI::Core with error code 4
2017/01/12 18:58:46 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2017/01/12 18:58:46 208480406 ff [INFO Client 5984] Changing to device "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
2017/01/12 18:58:46 208480500 305 [CRIT Client 5984] Failed to initialise UI::Core with error code 4

Still not starting. What is this error code 4?
"
DeputyIce wrote:
"
2017/01/12 18:58:20 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2017/01/12 18:58:23 208457546 ff [INFO Client 5748] Changing to device "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
2017/01/12 18:58:24 208458671 305 [CRIT Client 5748] Failed to initialise UI::Core with error code 4
2017/01/12 18:58:46 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2017/01/12 18:58:46 208480406 ff [INFO Client 5984] Changing to device "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
2017/01/12 18:58:46 208480500 305 [CRIT Client 5984] Failed to initialise UI::Core with error code 4

Still not starting. What is this error code 4?

As far as I can tell, it's an internal GGG error code. So, as I've suggested a couple of times, email support@grindinggear.com and ask for their input.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info