Jeweller's Orb is a joke!

Just spent more than 30 Jeweler's Orb on a Lvl 48 body armor for 5 sockets but no luck -- Is this normal? FYI, my body armor has 20% quality upgrade. I thought higher quality should have a higher chance for more sockets?
Shadow Character Build:
Essence Drain + Contagion + Curse Vulnerable on Damage Taken + Decoy Totem
Armor + Energy Shield
Wand + Spirit Shield
Last bumped on Dec 17, 2016, 1:14:30 PM
Just 30? Most of the time it take me like around 100-200.
That's entirely normal, yeah. 30 Jeweller's isn't a whole lot. For reference, Vorici asks 70 for it, which is marginally more expensive than the average (meaning 100 failed 5s is still far from unheard of).
"
antoniooi wrote:
Just spent more than 30 Jeweler's Orb on a Lvl 48 body armor for 5 sockets but no luck -- Is this normal? FYI, my body armor has 20% quality upgrade. I thought higher quality should have a higher chance for more sockets?

Yes, it's easy to make that mistake. The first time I used jeweller's orbs I spent 6 for 6 sockets... and 6S items sell for 7 jewellers. So I did the math and the result was Profit!!!
I learned then that I was extremely lucky. :D

As Vipermagi told you, Vorici (at level 5 I think) takes 70 (I thought 75, but what's 5 more or less), so the average is slightly below that, which means, that because of statistics 40 to 100 can be considered normal. If you're lucky, you need only 1 - if you're unlucky, though, 3000 may not be enough (this is extreme and I don't know if ever anyone was so unlucky, but the math allows for it)
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
What item at level 48 was worth using 30 jewellers orbs on just to get 5 sockets?

Anyway, at least when attempting to 6-socket, I usually plan to spend at least 200 jewellers. Usually I get it with about 100, but occasionally I'll spend over 300 on a particularly stubborn chest or weapon. It's all RNG, and spending 30 jewellers is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (that's a little more than 4 vendored six sockets).

Fusings, on the other hand, are a completely different mess. I managed to 6-link my quill rain yesterday in around 100, but other items have taken far more. I do usually get a 5-link in under 100 fusings, though, which is nice RNG I suppose.
just in case:

Guys, check your vendors at all merc diff acts, it's pretty common to find 6s there, pretty uncommon to not find 5s. I got even 5L once.
Burn all the orbs!
Alright guys, got it now on Vorici, thanks a lot for the info!

But just too bad that we can only have 2 masters at our hideout at a time, dismissing any one of them will lose the reputation for better upgrades! @_@
Shadow Character Build:
Armor + Energy Shield
Wand + Spirit Shield
"
skuadak wrote:
just in case:

Guys, check your vendors at all merc diff acts, it's pretty common to find 6s there, pretty uncommon to not find 5s. I got even 5L once.

Agreed. Sometimes (or perhaps most of the time), it is much more easy to get 5 to 6 socketed items from the vendors or even through killing mobs at merciless than to play with the jeweler's orbs... @_@
Shadow Character Build:
Armor + Energy Shield
Wand + Spirit Shield
"
antoniooi wrote:
Alright guys, got it now on Vorici, thanks a lot for the info!

But just too bad that we can only have 2 masters at our hideout at a time, dismissing any one of them will lose the reputation for better upgrades! @_@

Nope, if you have a master at level 5, you can update the hideout, and again at level 7.

It then holds 4 and 8 masters respectively. Leo doesn't count (takes up no HO space), so it's actually 5 and 9.

There really should be a manual. Been saying this for ages, actually since I started playing.

Since you seem very uninformed (not your fault), be sure to check this page:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system

It's the unofficial official wiki and has a lot of useful information - some of it may be outdated.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Last edited by Mikrotherion on Dec 15, 2016, 12:00:06 PM
I spent 450 this league on one piece of armor, no 6 socket, I npced it afterwards.
Spreading salt since 2006

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info