Path of Exile Talent Competition

Alright, after breaking and severing part of my finger, getting this thing done seemed doubtful, but I was fitted with a smaller splint that made painting somewhat possible, though still very uncomfortable and cumbersome. Anyway, it's done as far as I'm going to take it with my current condition:

Fullsize:
http://i.imgur.com/lHi4Nea.jpg
Last edited by Chthonian on Dec 28, 2016, 9:21:58 PM
Last edited by Zambash on Dec 28, 2016, 10:27:06 PM
My entry (repost from russian community)

Both made for this competition.
Here is my entry:

A touch of God.

And a link to a higher res:

https://postimg.org/image/nkztz7hmx/

(Original is 9000x4500, but is kinda pointless to upload in that res - however if anyone is interested you can pm me).
Welp. I've made Summon Raging Spirits gem. Hope you like it!

Spoiler

More photos:
https://imgur.com/a/Kcskn

Sorry for the quality, my hands were shaking xD
Last edited by FumyaHero on Dec 29, 2016, 10:02:51 AM
HI! here is MY ENTRY! <Righteous cuak fire: From Cuak of Exile>

People, often deceived by an illusive good, desire their own ruin.
I created this song based on the lore of King Kaom and the battle at the coast against Marceus Lioneye. Whenever I’ve read books I always wanted music to go along with many scenes that play out. Hopefully this track has played out well enough to match the lore that it goes with and the theme of how Path of Exiles music is. I’ve kept this short just to make sure I don’t go over any time limits.

From 0:00 to 1:04 it is about King Kaom retreating from Marceus Lioneyes legion. At 1:05 the legion comes up to the point where Hyrri and her bow-women break cover to rain arrows upon the legion. At about the 1:33 mark, this is the point where Kaom re enters battle against Marceus Lioneye. I don’t know exactly how the battle plays out but since there was fortifications I imagined Kaom and his legion having to scale walls. 2:14 reflects this and at 2:28 Kaom engages Lioneye in battle. He comes out victorious at 2:55 to which then he wears Lioneyes head at the end.

This is how I interpreted the song to the reading and I hope you everyone enjoys it.

https://soundcloud.com/hitaro/the-death-of-marceus-lioneye

Lore
Spoiler
Defeat of Marceus Lioneye
Meanwhile, in the Outer Empire, King Kaom and a Karui war host[63] landed on the The Coast[64] They attacked and defeated Marceus Lioneye's Eternal Legion, stationed at Lioneye's Watch[65].

In a man-to-man fight on open ground, a Gemling Legion would have slaughtered Kaom's Karui warriors like so many pigs in a pen. But Kaom had no intention of engaging Lioneye in a fair fight. By absorbing some heavy losses and feigning a chaotic retreat, Kaom drew Marceus into ordering his Gemlings to abandon their tower shields so that they might pursue and rout the fleeing Karui.

It was not out of recklessness that Lioneye plucked such a decision, but from the experience-born confidence that the Karui did not have archers. Traditionally, Karui warriors are forbidden from using projectile weapons of any kind. What Lioneye understandably overlooked was that this tavukai (sacred prohibition) did not extend to women. At her uncle's behest, Hyrri had traveled to Thebrus and studied archery with Voll's finest military tutors. When the legionnaires shed protection in favor of mobility, Hyrri and her bow-women broke cover and rained death upon the Gemlings from the cliffs above.

A valiant Marceus Lioneye gathered his surviving legionnaires for a final stand within the walls of Lioneye's Watch. Kaom honored his bravery by wearing Marceus bejeweled head upon his belt from that day on.

Having secured a safe harbour for landing reinforcements, Kaom continued his conquest of the coast, slaughtering the Eternal citizens and clearing the way for the first ever settlement of Karui on the Wraeclastian mainland.

---The Purity Rebellion, Book 3: Fall of a Jade Axe

Last edited by AdmiralLis on Oct 10, 2017, 4:22:31 AM
EMPTY
Last edited by TAUPE_SON on Jul 9, 2018, 9:22:23 AM
The following is my contribution: Written from the perspective of a scientist exiled to Wraeclast, I try to show, in five minutes or less, how and why she becomes what is called a Witch, and why the PoE tree exists as an interlinked path of characteristics. I guess that makes this is a cabalistic interpretation of PoE, mixed in with a bunch of other stuff. The famous black-white illustration is from the end of the 16th century (attributed to Robert Fludd, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fludd). In any case, I offer you here “Path of Exile: A Cosmological Orthogenesis”.

“It’s one of the sweeter ironies of fate that they call me ‘witch’. What started as a preposterous epithet and the linguistic instrument of my professional discrediting has now become my new guise – and my form of personal empowerment.

I think they understood my treatise all too well. Witch-hunts at the University are usually affairs of ignorance, mere political manipulation and ideological instrumentalization. But with me, I think they actually understood the significance of my research. They did not stop at merely stripping me of my Chair – it was to be the pyre, for heresy. And if it is indeed a choice between the pyre and exile, what choice is there really?

Perhaps they were right. Maybe my scientific research is not only heterodox, but dangerous. They know that: Freedom is inherently dangerous, and my research points to a direction in personal freedom hitherto unknown.

My work on relativity, bilocation and temporal disjunction had never caused much uproar. They didn’t care very much when four of my research assistants disappeared into one of the “breaches” I had caused, but that was not heresy as long as I was experimenting on tissue of the lesser mammals or human corpses I gladly took from the University clinic morgue.
But my experiments on the dead were not conclusive. The dead consume no energy; they are victims of entropy. I want to bring to life. Entropy is my enemy. The dead do not evolve. So I had to experiment on the living. And what better subject than myself? Much less clutter this way; clutter and housework are so quotidian.

By channeling enough energy, I was able to obtain three interrelated state-event changes: persistent stable genetic mutation, bilocation, and distemporalization. What surprised me, however, was the way in which the resulting mutations resembled the organizational patterns of my reagent, the fungus dictostelium discoidium. The mutations were not arbitrary. The organizing principle according to which the mutation occurred was self-generated – but what force in nature exists which can govern itself by laws it, and only it itself, may decree?
“In” “nature” indeed. Call it what you will. The witch-hunters call this force: God. I call it: Pure reason. But we mean the same thing: autonomous self-organizing self-emergence.
Channeling the small thermodynamic quantity any small organism accrues over its meager lifespan (I first took single-celled dictostelia, and then later my own white blood cells), almost anything – matter, time, genetic structures – can be transmuted. We perform small wonders every day, by turning water to steam, or by shedding our skin and remaining “ourselves”. Evolution by so-called “natural” selection is no more “natural” than the process taking place in my laboratory, in my own mitochondria. The material I believed to be “me” is interchangeable, but persistent. And what am “I”, this thing to which we attribute “identity”? I change over time, and evolve, and yet I remain that which I am.

And if I can learn to control this plan, the plan according to which I call myself “myself”... They may be right: I may be rightly called my own creator. Heresy is relative. I call it revelation.

And if I were not right, would I be exiled thus? There is a guiding Principle to the universe, and this principle is a self-emergent mirror of the eternal circle of life, as the Principle seeks to embody itself and become that which is. There is a Shaper of the Universe, and that Shaper has chosen to embody itself into the world we experience, thus creating our visible reality. Evolution, but not according to “natural” selection. Rather, according to the principle of autonomous self-embodiment. Even my companion on the boat, of the forbidden religion, says he believes his Ancestors saw it similarly. He has shown me scripts of writings from aeons ago, in a language that none has spoken for millennia, pictograms such as this, representing what I am now rediscovering: God, if that is what we want to call it, seeking self-embodiment – and this enfolding of God’s spirit is embodied as the world.

God, it appears to these ancients, takes on the “form” of material organized by 10 characteristics, such as wisdom or compassion. Yet how narrow this vision appears to me. I discover dozens or even hundreds of characteristics, ranging from the very elements of matter to pure spirit and energy to the basic components of complex protein chains that are our bones and blood. They are all related to each other, and related by Reason. Everything has its place, even, as I have learned now, Entropy.

I have mapped the matrix we use to perceive this reality onto a two-dimensional piece of paper, much like the ancients did.

I plan to walk this map. To walk across the dimensions of embodiment. For if my vision be true, then we too, by expending sufficient energy, can transcend three-dimensional phylogenetics and walk in freedom, along with the Divine. For are we not created in Its image? We are not who we are because of History, or Chance, or some crude genetic predeterminism. We are created in God’s image, we are told. My vision merely demonstrates just how closely...

These cretins call me “Witch”. So be it. I know I shall not remain alone. There will be more like me, orthogenetic sisters, whose code evolves within my genes even as I write this.
They accused me of playing God. Playing? Hah! What sort of game should that be?
I die to be reborn. Exiled, I shall obtain freedom. Here on this wretched boat, my companions share in my findings, and we find hope. Because there is a new genesis in the blueprint of the universe. Autonomous voluntary orthogenetic manipulation may be heresy, but my friend, who now carries the epithet “Templar” as his badge of rebellion, he calls it insight into God’s democracy. Now we are free, to change and evolve as we see fit. Welcome, Exile.”

Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info