[2.5] CI Witch Scorching Ray CWC Whispering Ice - Version 2.0 Released - Now with more damage!

"
ropefly wrote:
Spoiler
You should create an HC variation(with stun immunity) as it is a MUST HAVE on hardcore.
I'll play your build but i'll go for unwavering stances.

astramentis + unwavering stances vs eye of chaluya + some points i'lls ee what i'll do lvl 48 atm on hardcore breach

In my opinion the stun immunity is far from needed. I have yet to die from being stunned.
If you are really afraid of stuns I would recommend buying a Kiara's Determination.

The thing about stun is, that they have to hit you and proc stun through our two stun defenses
(50 % ES roll and 55 % Stun avoidance while casting), and IF they do manage to get through your range (let's say you meet a big wave of ranged mobs), and they hit you and you get stunned, you will proc immortal call (which last almost 3 seconds currently on my charater with 3 charges).
You will have plenty of time to take them out and get full health instantly through vaal pact + leech.

"I have yet to die" , well yeah as HC that's not something I can rely on ^^
But I guess I can use the flask yeah kinda forgot about that one.
I'll grab 4 endurance charges as well+improved flasks as well probably.
While the tri curse whisp offers more int to scale better with helm+staff. I feel the damage is high enough already and would like some more ES like yours.

Does the 140 intellect + 33% (helm/staff) outweights the more ES in your opinion for hardcore ?
(tri whisp ice vs yours)

"
I know it's not reliable currently, but I can only tell you my experience so far, and as of level 81 I have not experienced any problems at all with stuns (aslong you keep yourself res capped, stuns from spells are not a problem either, and I dont even have the pot for it).

A lot of people ask me about the tri WI build compared to mine, wondering if I should make a tab for it in the guide, but I honestly believe my build is more tanky than his (this is just a theory so far).
The helmet gives 15 % but 0 ES, 0 flat int, 0 resistances and 40% reduced light radius.
So I would say my helmet is worth more, even tho I have a cheap one with 1 resistance, close to 300 es and 45 int.
His stats as level 91 and my stats as level 81 are pretty close.
1500 int vs 1200 int
8406 es vs 7900 es
and I dont have astramentis or a 800 es chest and I am 10 skill points short.
So I would say no, it does not outweight the more ES, especially for hardcore.

The helmet adds arctic armour with enlighten gem (lvl 2, becomes lvl 3). AA is pretty good as defensive mechanic. But yeah so far the only downside would be the stun immunity, guess we will see how it goes on the t11+ maps when I get there

My build also runs arctic armour, even without enlighten. So i wouldn't say the head "adds" arctic armour. Unless you are planning to run dual blasphemy and speccing into aura notes.
I am currently running tier 11-13 map tiers (I can't seem to find any t14/15 maps yet sadly) and I can run them easily, I added a tier 11 map with some strong mods in videos.

One of the other commenters also tested my build with budget items in a death modded tier 15 core map with ele reflect etc. see quote:

Spoiler
"
Took me a while to get things going, but I finally got there and just gave Uber Izaro and fierce ass whomping on the 1st try. I also ran a very brutal death map that was a corrupted Tier 15 Core with both Elemental Reflect and Elemental Weakness as well as many other nasty mods. I dared not run this map with any of my other characters, but my Witch bravely ran the map and got Malachai down to about 50% of his life...but the damn reflect was just too much but it sure was fun. Also blazed through Death and Taxes and melted all of the boss forms in about 2 seconds each...for slow moving bosses they die very quickly.

But keep me updated ! I love to hear how far you get with my build! It's exciting and remember to stay safe! :D
"
SasoriOtoko wrote:
Just wanted to say this is a very awesome build! I get so frustrated seeing builds that require Shavs, Skyforths and 3,000 exalts worth of gear so I usually create my own. But this is pure genius...definitely a working man's build and I really like the fact that it takes advantage of new and old skills.

I did not start this in the new league...I had a Lv 90 Occultist who was stuck on the bench for a long time and after reading your build I realized that I had all of the gear necessary laying around in Standard so why not give it a shot? I had to switch class to Elementalist but was still missing my last two points from the Uber Lab.

Took me a while to get things going, but I finally got there and just gave Uber Izaro and fierce ass whomping on the 1st try. I also ran a very brutal death map that was a corrupted Tier 15 Core with both Elemental Reflect and Elemental Weakness as well as many other nasty mods. I dared not run this map with any of my other characters, but my Witch bravely ran the map and got Malachai down to about 50% of his life...but the damn reflect was just too much but it sure was fun. Also blazed through Death and Taxes and melted all of the boss forms in about 2 seconds each...for slow moving bosses they die very quickly.

My ES is currently at 10,500 and here is my gear:

I've found that the Ice Nova + Vortex with CWDT is excellent for mobs that get through and surround me, although I might change that up later, still tinkering around with things.

Thank you again for a great build! I'm going to try and get a few more levels in Standard and those flask nodes in the Witch area are very tempting... :)

Thank you for posting your results! I am glad you decided to test out my build and it's even better that you like the results!
I agree that many builds currently are very high priced and has mandatory uniques that will take you ages to grind on a new character in a new league. So one of my high priorities was a build that could work on very limited funding, but also a build that can be spend a lot of ex on to perfect for the hardcore grinders. I will add a bis list for those players soon.

And I can imagine that core map must have been a terror with those mods haha.
Feel free to keep me updated if you find out something interested along your journey, I would love to hear it!

Edit:
Thank you for mentioning ice nova! I have tested my link with:
CwDT + Ice nova + Ball Lightning + Curse on Hit + Flammability

This works amazing so far in clustered fights, (breaches, strongboxes etc.)

After getting a 6 link I will add increased aoe to the mix, I will add this to my gem list and give you credit!
Last edited by Mathoddie on Dec 11, 2016, 5:19:30 AM
"
Dreschau wrote:
Spoiler
"
Mathoddie wrote:

Awesome that you are enjoying it! This is exactly why I wanted to share my build, it is fun and really strong.

About the ball lightning it gets better when you get further up were minions do more damage(in my opinion), but I agree that maybe sometimes it is clunky, what level is your cwdt?

I am currently testing a 5 link chest with orb of storms in the mix as self cast also for strongboxes/breaches/bosses, I will update it when I have finished my testing :D

I'm using lvl 1 cwdt setups with lvl'd curse on hit and flammability. It procs frequently enough, just seems like there could be a better way, but other than using heretic's and running double blasphemy I'm not sure what.

With life leech in the staff is warlords really needed? Maybe drop warlords, drop 2nd curse, and just run flamability blasphemy and take the inc curse aoe next to CI. idk, it's late and I'm tired, that might be stupid.

After new testing I have added ice nova in the CwDT in a 5 link chest, this has made my uptime on flammability a lot more stable, I highly recommend it.

I agree that you have enough leech for most things through life leech alone, but warlords mark is also our endurance charge generator for immortal call and phys reduction. It also provides us with mana leech in no regen maps and more frequent stuns on enemies. I wouldn't recommend changing it.

That being said, everyone has different playstyles and you can totally adapt it to playing without warlords and use flammability on blasphemy! :D I would love to hear if you try it out
"
But keep me updated ! I love to hear how far you get with my build! It's exciting and remember to stay safe! :D

will be using Valyrium Moonstone Ring and a GGG resist helmet I totally forgot about that ring since I did not play prohecy league much. You should add the ring as optional uniques to deal with stun immunity
ign: ropefly
Last edited by ropefly on Dec 11, 2016, 6:13:34 AM
Hey, I'm currently leveling this as life on Hardcore Breach (currently level 61). I'm interested in potentially being stunned with this build. I'll be swapping over to CI around level 68 and was hoping you could tell me how often you experience being stunned? Would you recommend a Valyrium on HC? Thanks, and great build idea.
"
Rzarazor49 wrote:
Hey, I'm currently leveling this as life on Hardcore Breach (currently level 61). I'm interested in potentially being stunned with this build. I'll be swapping over to CI around level 68 and was hoping you could tell me how often you experience being stunned? Would you recommend a Valyrium on HC? Thanks, and great build idea.

Lovely that you are using my build on HC. It should work just fine on hc as it does on SC, all you have to do is remember to use a defensive curse instead of flammability for the CwDT, just for safety measures.

Regarding being stunned I experience it in these situations.
Getting hit by multiple ranged mobs (tentacle miscreations, rays etc.)
Duration : Small
Danger : Close to nonexistant
90 % of the time you will have an icestorm in the air, keeping you alive with leech, and 100 % of the time you will pop immortal call after the first few hits.

Getting hit by a shield charge or another heavy hit
Duration : medium
Danger : small
This will also proc immortal call, giving you three seconds immunity, and heavy hitters have a slow attack speed, so you will be able to either kill it before immortal call is off, or you can run away for 3 seconds if you prefer that.

Dangerous situations I have encountered so far:
Uber lab with full mods and boosting 2 other people.

The fight takes a bit longer when you have other people with, which will result in you not taking him down as fast as normal, and since he is a heavy hitter, he will sometimes stun you.
What I did to solve this was simply crafting this genius potion

and I had no problems at all.

You can also add valyrium if you can sustain the -40 % cold resist, you will ofc lose a bit damage from the int loss, but it shouldn't be much.
Or you can buy Kiara's Determination flask for those situations

If you are really afraid of stuns I would recommend valyrium.
If you alert while playing (I imagine you are on HC) and focussed, you can easily manage with either of the two flasks.
"
ropefly wrote:
"

will be using Valyrium Moonstone Ring and a GGG resist helmet I totally forgot about that ring since I did not play prohecy league much. You should add the ring as optional uniques to deal with stun immunity

Great idea! I will make a stun tab soon, adding all the info about stun into my guide.
I will also add the ring to optional uniques, thanks for your participation in making this guide better for everyone :D
"
Mathoddie wrote:
"
ropefly wrote:
"

Great idea! I will make a stun tab soon, adding all the info about stun into my guide.
I will also add the ring to optional uniques, thanks for your participation in making this guide better for everyone :D

not sure how much of a trouble resummoning your golems are, but picking up the node "minion life regenartion" makes your golems immortal (above templar tree 1 node away). Might be worthwhile to pick up if you don't want your golems to be on a cast when damage taken/selfcast.

Then again I don't know if it's needed at high level with WI
ign: ropefly
"
ropefly wrote:

not sure how much of a trouble resummoning your golems are, but picking up the node "minion life regenartion" makes your golems immortal (above templar tree 1 node away). Might be worthwhile to pick up if you don't want your golems to be on a cast when damage taken/selfcast.

Then again I don't know if it's needed at high level with WI

My golems does die in high tier maps sometimes and uberlab runs etc.
So picking up a regen note is a valid option for people who dont like to resummon their golems.
"
Mathoddie wrote:

After new testing I have added ice nova in the CwDT in a 5 link chest, this has made my uptime on flammability a lot more stable, I highly recommend it.

I agree that you have enough leech for most things through life leech alone, but warlords mark is also our endurance charge generator for immortal call and phys reduction. It also provides us with mana leech in no regen maps and more frequent stuns on enemies. I wouldn't recommend changing it.

That being said, everyone has different playstyles and you can totally adapt it to playing without warlords and use flammability on blasphemy! :D I would love to hear if you try it out

Would be nice if you made your characters public. Click your account name at the top of the poe webpage, on the page that pops up, on the bottom right, click privacy settings, there is a checkbox for make characters private, it's checked by default.

Also regarding everyone worried about stuns, just get a boot enchant, cruel = 50%, merc = 65%, uber = 80% chance to avoid stuns if killed recently.

So having even 1 point of ES = 50% chance to avoid stuns, channeling = 55% chance to avoid stuns, cruel boot enchant = 50% chance to avoid stuns if killed recently. I haven't personally had an issue with stuns and have zero qualms about recommending this build to anyone. Hell after seeing it in action 2 other guys from my guild bought whispering ice's yesterday and started down this path of win.
Last edited by Dreschau on Dec 11, 2016, 9:37:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info