[2.5] CI Witch Scorching Ray CWC Whispering Ice - Version 2.0 Released - Now with more damage!

Penetration is always effective regardless if the target has -100res or +500res unlike curses and other sources of lowered resists. Difference from curses is that it applies on whatever targets resist is at moment of the hit after taking into account the targets actual resist with cap taken into account.

example1: Target has maxres cap @75. It has 200res from stats. You curse for -30 and apply ee for another -50. Mob still has 120res (basically making your ee and curse useless) but is still capped at 75. We now hit the mob, our hit calcs it as if the mob had 75-40pen = 35resist.

example2: Target has maxres cap @75. It has 50res from stats. You curse for -30 and apply ee for another -50. Target now has -30res. We hit him, mobs is considered being at -30 -40pen = -70res.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Resistance_penetration
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Resistance
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/59271/page/2#p751660

It's the same reason why some bosses spells hurts like hell even with overcapped resist, their skill has penetration linked.
Last edited by Lysithea on Jan 5, 2017, 5:47:27 PM
"
Lysithea wrote:
Penetration is always effective regardless if the target has -100res or +500res unlike curses and other sources of lowered resists. Difference from curses is that it applies on whatever targets resist is at moment of the hit after taking into account the targets actual resist with cap taken into account.

example1: Target has maxres cap @75. It has 200res from stats. You curse for -30 and apply ee for another -50. Mob still has 120res (basically making your ee and curse useless) but is still capped at 75. We now hit the mob, our hit calcs it as if the mob had 75-40pen = 35resist.

example2: Target has maxres cap @75. It has 50res from stats. You curse for -30 and apply ee for another -50. Target now has -30res. We hit him, mobs is considered being at -30 -40pen = -70res.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Resistance_penetration
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Resistance
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/59271/page/2#p751660

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure in what order they were calculated.

Makes me want my 4th curse to give it a try, wtb good boots upgrade with lots of light res :))
in your gear you have a couple of support gemson there own fire pen on weapon and inreased area of effect on body armor. the weapon i can maybe understand if it applies to the icestorm skill but the body armor im lost on
"
Rickeye wrote:
in your gear you have a couple of support gemson there own fire pen on weapon and inreased area of effect on body armor. the weapon i can maybe understand if it applies to the icestorm skill but the body armor im lost on

OP is still somewhat away, here you go:

gear&links

swap curses to whatever you want (flammability also an option) - you don't *need* the enlighten, it's there to make my life easier on no regen.

on a 5 link chest, drop enhance.

your icestorm is full fire damage - pyre ring :)

you can also doedre's ring+astramentis for the 3rd curse, or even drop it completely and be good without a 5 link needed.
"
Mathoddie wrote:

Gems and Links
Spoiler

Weapon 6 Socket 3 Link BBBBRR

[Scorching Ray + Cast when Channeling + Controlled Destruction] + Life Leech + Conc Effect + Fire Penetration

Only SR, CWC and EF has to be linked, since Scorching ray doesn't get any effect of the 3 ladder support gems.

Body Armour 4(6) Link BBRG + BB

Cast when Damage Taken + Ball lightning + Curse on Hit + Flammability(SC) or Enfeeble/Temp chains(HC) + Orb of Storms on 5 link + Increased AOE/Crit chance on 6 link OR if you have a +1 curse corrupted neck, swap the 6th gem with flammabiltiy, temp or enfeeble.

Thanks to SasoriOtoko for providing me with the idea of using ice nova! It works perfectly for this build.

I think I might be confused here, but are these only half updated? You say the weapon is using CD, but right underneath you say EF. Did you just forget to update in both places?

Also, for the body armour, you say something about Ice Nova but I don't see it in the linked gems. Where are you using it?

Thanks so much for this build, though! Hitting 38 has never been so much fun :)
"
Daeke wrote:
"
Mathoddie wrote:

Gems and Links
Spoiler

Weapon 6 Socket 3 Link BBBBRR

[Scorching Ray + Cast when Channeling + Controlled Destruction] + Life Leech + Conc Effect + Fire Penetration

Only SR, CWC and EF has to be linked, since Scorching ray doesn't get any effect of the 3 ladder support gems.

Body Armour 4(6) Link BBRG + BB

Cast when Damage Taken + Ball lightning + Curse on Hit + Flammability(SC) or Enfeeble/Temp chains(HC) + Orb of Storms on 5 link + Increased AOE/Crit chance on 6 link OR if you have a +1 curse corrupted neck, swap the 6th gem with flammabiltiy, temp or enfeeble.

Thanks to SasoriOtoko for providing me with the idea of using ice nova! It works perfectly for this build.

I think I might be confused here, but are these only half updated? You say the weapon is using CD, but right underneath you say EF. Did you just forget to update in both places?

Also, for the body armour, you say something about Ice Nova but I don't see it in the linked gems. Where are you using it?

Thanks so much for this build, though! Hitting 38 has never been so much fun :)

He posted an update in the post below the first instead of editing it in, basically :)
How important is ignite duration for this build? I found a flammability gem with 20% quality and I'm wondering how big a difference it will make.
The latest version of this build runs Elemental Focus, which means you can't ignite.
Why did he update it to use Ice Nova instead of Orb of storms? Don't we use Orb of Storms to activate mastermind of discord? Plus orb of storms should get everything around you anyways so what is the bonus to ice nova?
"
AgentChunk wrote:
Why did he update it to use Ice Nova instead of Orb of storms? Don't we use Orb of Storms to activate mastermind of discord? Plus orb of storms should get everything around you anyways so what is the bonus to ice nova?

You can use Ice Nova *on top* of ball lightning in the cwdt setup, if you have a 5 link but just 2 curses instead of 3.

Orb of Storms has nothing to do with it - we swap that in instead of ball lightning/cwdt on single target.

"
AgentChunk wrote:
How important is ignite duration for this build? I found a flammability gem with 20% quality and I'm wondering how big a difference it will make.

Does nothing for this build. Quality of all the other curses are nice though!
Last edited by falagar112 on Jan 7, 2017, 9:44:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info